Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Everything we know about Food and Weight Loss Wrong??? "What the Health" Documentary : Lets discuss....

Fellow RNY'ers,

So in my Quest to understand what and how we should eat, the other night I watched "What the Health" Documentary on Netflix.... Because yes I want to loose weight but even more than that I want to be healthy, have vitality, have energy, nourish my body and re-learn how to eat to support those goals. Let's just say I was...disturbed. It seems like EVERYTHING I thought about food is...wrong!? I walked over and watched my kiddos (6 and 8), peacefully sleeping, and I felt like I was failing them. For I have taught that eggs, Milk, chicken, Yogurt etc is good. Following this documentary I hesitate to ever buy those products again. But what and how do I replace those items?? And to my dismay I also realized that , as a person 4 weeks post Sleeve to RNY revision, I know that going forward my diet will be very much an animal Protein first diet, then a few spoons of veggie. My mind is swarming a little and I'm trying to make sense of this new knowledge. I called my doctors office and made an appointment with a nutritionist, but in the meantime....if any of you has watched this or cares to watch it and discuss, please post here. I would really love to know your thoughts and reactions.

I wouldn't change my whole way of eating based on a single documentary. I trust Scientific American, and they excerpted this article (and linked to the whole thing), talking about the things "What the Health" gets right, versus what they get wrong: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/what-the-health-documentary-a-review

Time, too, is generally considered fairly reputable: http://time.com/4897133/vegan-netflix-what-the-health/

I agree you shouldn't change the way you eat based on one documentary. If next week's documentary is all about the health benefits of paleo with all the free range poultry meat, beef, pork etc are you going to change your diet again?

Do your research, make decisions on well-founded unbiased research. The hype behind a lot of the fork over knives, the china study, etc is just biased hype.

If you choose to go vegan for ethical reasons that's great, but still do your research and don't get caught up in the biased hype.

It takes time and considerable effort but little by little substitute out your animal Protein sources for plant protein sources (it will cost you calorically) in the cleanest most sustainable way possible with the guidance of your team.

Safe Journey!

Edited by GreenTealael

2 hours ago, CrankyMagpie said:

I wouldn't change my whole way of eating based on a single documentary. I trust Scientific American, and they excerpted this article (and linked to the whole thing), talking about the things "What the Health" gets right, versus what they get wrong: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/what-the-health-documentary-a-review

Time, too, is generally considered fairly reputable: http://time.com/4897133/vegan-netflix-what-the-health/

Thank you so much for balancing the content with this. I look forward to reviewing it! I am a life long learner so this has not been just one documentary. I watch and read a LOT, and this documentary kind of culminated a lot of research for me and resonated with what I had been coming to. Especially on ethical basis. But, I also know that there are several viewpoints and ways to distill it all down, which is why I started this thread. So thank you.

2 hours ago, 2shea said:

I agree you shouldn't change the way you eat based on one documentary. If next week's documentary is all about the health benefits of paleo with all the free range poultry meat, beef, pork etc are you going to change your diet again?

Do your research, make decisions on well-founded unbiased research. The hype behind a lot of the fork over knives, the china study, etc is just biased hype.

If you choose to go vegan for ethical reasons that's great, but still do your research and don't get caught up in the biased hype.

Thank you for the response. However I must honestly say that I do not appreciate the insinuation that I (or anyone), am so flippant, ignorant or infantile to change the way I eat based on one documentary!?! Also, why do you automatically assume that I do not do my research and do not make decisions on well-founded research!?! And finally, why do you assume that I would get caught up in biased hype? The responder before you totally got the heart and intent of my question. She answered with the same general sentiment as you, but her answer was compassionate and backed by relevant information MINUS the judgmental condescending tone of your response. If you had nothing more to add to that but wagging a proverbial finger at me for wanting to have open (educated discourse), then why respond at all. If that was not the intent of your response, then please re-read it and see how you came off that way. We are all going through a very physically and emotionally tasking process, and our responses should be tactful and reflective. This is afterall supposed to be a place of information sharing and support.

26 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

It takes time and considerable effort but little by little substitute out your animal Protein sources for plant Protein sources (it will cost you calorically) in the cleanest most sustainable way possible with the guidance of your team.

Safe Journey!

Thank you so much! Yes, I know, it's hard to give those products up, they are so pervasive! And, you are right, I'm sure it can be done, but to squeeze that Protein count out Veggies, like you said there with probably be a Carb penalty, with the associated calories. I'm sure someone is doing it quite elegantly though, perhaps they will happen upon this thread and let us know how. I'll post what my team says as well! Have to wait a few weeks to get in, but I think it's worth it to keep seeking :)

It was a powerful doco. Confronting like a slap in the face!!
I also watched ‘That Sugar Film’ and several others regarding animals and ethical treatment. If I wasn’t so lazy and the conversion so difficult (I have two fussy kids) I would be vegan!! I try to make small changes..... I know exactly how you feel after watching. :)

On 09/20/2018 at 21:51, vanessagotsleeved said:

It was a powerful doco. Confronting like a slap in the face!!

I also watched ‘That Sugar Film’ and several others regarding animals and ethical treatment. If I wasn’t so lazy and the conversion so difficult (I have two fussy kids) I would be vegan!! I try to make small changes..... I know exactly how you feel after watching. :)
I know huh! Thank you for affirming my feelings. Like you said, maybe the answer is in small changes. For example I have found Soymilk to be quite creamy and dreamy. And Garlic Hummus the other day satisfied my savory creamy craving quite nicely too. And the bulk section at Central Market is brimming with Beans to explore. I uncovered Christmas beans a few years ago! Omg what s joy, so hearty and nutty. Boiled then braised in Olive oil they rival any French fry and are SO filling!

4 minutes ago, ellie123 said:

I know huh! Thank you for affirming my feelings. Like you said, maybe the answer is in small changes. For example I have found Soymilk to be quite creamy and dreamy. And Garlic Hummus the other day satisfied my savory creamy craving quite nicely too. And the bulk section at Central Market is brimming with Beans to explore. I uncovered Christmas Beans a few years ago! Omg what s joy, so hearty and nutty. Boiled then braised in Olive oil they rival any French fry and are SO filling!

I would caution you to do a ton of research before converting especially when it comes to soy.

4 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I would caution you to do a ton of research before converting especially when it comes to soy.

I know Soy is not perfect, anc the links to affecting Thyroid and such. I’ve read a bunch on that too... men it’s hard to navigate the nutritional waters! I may switch to Almond, but for now, it’s tying me over, I’m only 4 weeks post op and my doc does not allow ANY diary in this time even if I wanted it. Almond may be the way to go ultimately...

10 minutes ago, vanessagotsleeved said:

Oohhh yumm. Those Beans in olive oil sound amazing! Thanks for the tips. I have eaten as many retried Beans as I can handle- I love them, but we need a break from each other hahaha x

Those beans are gynormous! And they brown so nicely! They even slightly pop open with a potato like center, and their full nutty flavor is just delicious! Ok now I’ve made my own mouth water!

00409544-8779-434D-AB97-CA950C1184AB.png

5AD886D7-6E0E-42D8-8B79-4C95237698BE.jpeg

13 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

This seems to be the latest from Harvard on the matter that I’ve read: suggesting it is Soy Isolates we need to be weary off, vrs whole Soy products like Soy milk

Confused about eating soy?

News briefs

Published: March, 2018

p8_Edamame_HL1803_gi148327403.jpg
Image: © hanhanpeggy/Getty Images

The FDA wants to pull its support of the health claim that eating soy Protein may help reduce the risk of heart disease. The agency proposed the change last fall, citing evidence that questions whether there's any real benefit to heart health. If the FDA goes through with the move, then food makers will no longer be allowed to market soy products with the claim that they can help your heart. But soy won't hurt your heart, and soy does have other benefits. "It's high in polyunsaturated fats, Fiber, Vitamins, and minerals, and low in saturated fat. Natural soy products — like tofu or edamame — could replace red meat and other animal sources of protein higher in saturated fat," says dietitian Kathy McManus, director of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital. One caveat: some soy products contain estrogen-like chemicals that could have adverse effects. So stay away from soy isoflavone supplements and foods made with textured vegetable protein and soy protein isolate, found in many protein powders and nutrition bars. Still, McManus says it's okay to eat whole soy foods — like soy milk, edamame, and tofu — in moderation, several times per week.

15 minutes ago, ellie123 said:

I know Soy is not perfect, anc the links to affecting Thyroid and such. I’ve read a bunch on that too... men it’s hard to navigate the nutritional waters! I may switch to Almond, but for now, it’s tying me over, I’m only 4 weeks post op and my doc does not allow ANY diary in this time even if I wanted it. Almond may be the way to go ultimately...

It's best to stick with organic, thirdparty/independently verified non GMO soy in moderation

Edited by GreenTealael