Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to eat before surgery

My Dr doesn’t require the liquid fast prior to surgery.... so what do you eat before surgery?? I am clueless and I see the Np a week from wed (a week before surgery) so I guess we will go over it then??

Unless you're supremely obese one week should be fine. But the general rule of thumb is very low carb for a week or 2, and liquids for 24-48 hours before. But they'll give specific instructions

I have been on a low carb diet sense my initial appointment. My surgeon has a % you have to loose before he will approve you for surgery. I have lost well over mine and am down 40 lbs! I know he doesn’t do the 10 day pre op like some surgeons so I’m sure I’ll get my instructions the week before surgery. I just wanted to know what it entailed to prepare. You need to do a colon cleanse too right??

1 hour ago, afer0841 said:

My Dr doesn’t require the liquid fast prior to surgery.... so what do you eat before surgery?? I am clueless and I see the Np a week from wed (a week before surgery) so I guess we will go over it then??

I drank two Protein Shakes a day plus a small meal of 4-6 ounces of lean Protein (chicken, turkey, fish) and veggies. I did that for three and a half weeks before surgery. I can't remember if I did all-liquid two days before the surgery, but the DAY before the surgery they wanted me to fast completely of anything but fluids. (I screwed up and drank a shake by accident. Luckily the two bottles of magnesium citrate took care of that...)

Does he require some sort of diet at all? If not then don't worry about it. Eat what you want.

4 hours ago, afer0841 said:

Im not sure if the wording is off or the information but, usually everyone is required to do some sort of liquid fast prior to surgery whether it's 48 -24hr liquids only, 24-12 hrs Clear Liquids only then 12-6 hrs nothing to clear the digestive system completely. Some variation on this theme, double check with your team.

Edited by GreenTealael

15 hours ago, J San said:

Does he require some sort of diet at all? If not then don't worry about it. Eat what you want.

This. I have to do the 2 week pre-op diet but if I didn't, I would be eating what I wanted while I still could:)

2 hours ago, megolego said:

This. I have to do the 2 week pre-op diet but if I didn't, I would be eating what I wanted while I still could:)

17 hours ago, J San said:

Doesn't sound like a recipe for success for a person wanting to change their life. But maybe I'm doing it wrong

21 minutes ago, afer0841 said:

He does require a pre op diet. You have to loose 5% before he approves you for surgery but he doesn’t do a liquid diet.

Thats what I thought you meant, did you ask about the 48-24 hrs before surgery if there were any special requirements?

Personally my surgeon didn't require the liquid diet either but I put myself on one 5 day prior to surgery to further induce ketogenesis and eliminate any fat around my liver for an easier surgery. But that was a choice I made. I wanted to enter into this with the best chances possible.

Sidenote

People think they can never ever eat things again so they go crazy with food funerals. Truth be told, eventually most people can eat whatever but you shouldn't. I like making the best subscriptions possible. No real need to mourn food so heavily, it'll still be there.

I got my information today I have to start all liquids at 12pm the day before surgery. I personally think I’m going to do a 2 week liquid diet to get myself in the mindset for surgery

2 minutes ago, afer0841 said:

I got my information today I have to start all liquids at 12pm the day before surgery. I personally think I’m going to do a 2 week liquid diet to get myself in the mindset for surgery

The best part is since it's not technically required for you , you can do it how you want. Enjoy that freedom.

Safe Journey, let's all know how things are going!

3 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

Doesn't sound like a recipe for success for a person wanting to change their life. But maybe I'm doing it wrong

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the poster asked for anyone to bogart her post and critique suggestions, answers from others to the question they asked. I didn't suggest they hit McD's or Wendy's everyday up until surgery and there was a question attached to my suggestion. Now if you have some sound wisdom you could share yourself on your success maybe you should worry about helping the OP out. Otherwise don't worry about what I posted.

Thanks everyone! I got the packet in the mail and I have to do liquids 12pm the day before. I’m planning on doing at least a week of liquids to jump start and get myself ready for post op.

My surgeon recommends at least 2wk liquid diet preop: 4-6 HIGH Protein Shakes, 2 Protein Bars, and a banana (to keep up potassium levels) daily. (We use Bariatric Advantage products. They taste great!) The idea is to shrink the liver and the interstitial fat to make it easier and safer to maneuver around it during surgery. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app