Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After sleeve surg., its estimated to lose about 60% of excess weight. How does the final 40% come off, if you are following post op protocol perfectly? Do you exercise more or eat even less calories?

I confused myself.

TYIA

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

The average person loses up to 60% of excess weight, anything above 60% is based on you and how you follow your plan, exercise, etc. There are plenty of articles online that explain this.

Using my starting weight at surgery here is a guideline

SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY

• 80% of patients reach at least 175 lbs 18 months after surgery.
  • 50% of patients reach at least 159 lbs 18 months after surgery.
  • 20% of patients reach 143 lbs 18 months after surgery.

Or click on the link for your own guidance

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/how-much-will-you-weigh-after-surgery/

3 hours ago, Beachladee3 said:

After sleeve surg., its estimated to lose about 60% of excess weight. How does the final 40% come off, if you are following post op protocol perfectly? Do you exercise more or eat even less calories?

I confused myself.

TYIA

The idea is that pretty much*NO ONE* losses all 100% of excess weight. The majority of folks lose 60% of their total excess.

Your excess weight is calculated by taking your "Ideal weight" and subtracting that from your actual weight. Then taking that number and taking 60% of that. That's how much you can expect to lose.

At 5 foot 4 with a BMI of 36, that would put you at about 210 lbs.
The "ideal" weight for a female that's 5 foot 4 would be between 108 and 132 lbs.
So lets split that for the sake of math. Lets call the ideal weight 120.
That means your excess is 90 lbs.
60% of 90 is 54 lbs.
So you can expect to hit 256 lbs without too much trouble. If you don't follow your guidelines you might not hit that, if you really work with it, you should be able to go lower, but the "average" is 60%, so for you, about 54lbs going off of the limited information I was able to locate from your profile.

For me, Ideal for 5 foot 9 is 144-176. I'm going to assume 175, I don't ever expect to hit that though. But lets just call my ideal weight 175.
I started the bypass revision at 310.
That's 135 lbs of excess weight.
Bypass reports a 65% excess loss.
I could expect to lose only 87.75 lbs.
So I should bottom out at 222.25. I'm at 225 today and I can tell you, it's been VERY hard to get lower.

Edited by Matt Z

The idea is that pretty much*NO ONE* losses all 100% of excess weight. The majority of folks lose 60% of their total excess.

Your excess weight is calculated by taking your "Ideal weight" and subtracting that from your actual weight. Then taking that number and taking 60% of that. That's how much you can expect to lose.

At 5 foot 4 with a BMI of 36, that would put you at about 210 lbs.
The "ideal" weight for a female that's 5 foot 4 would be between 108 and 132 lbs.
So lets split that for the sake of math. Lets call the ideal weight 120.
That means your excess is 90 lbs.
60% of 90 is 54 lbs.
So you can expect to hit 256 lbs without too much trouble. If you don't follow your guidelines you might not hit that, if you really work with it, you should be able to go lower, but the "average" is 60%, so for you, about 54lbs going off of the limited information I was able to locate from your profile.

For me, Ideal for 5 foot 9 is 144-176. I'm going to assume 175, I don't ever expect to hit that though. But lets just call my ideal weight 175.
I started the bypass revision at 310.
That's 135 lbs of excess weight.
Bypass reports a 65% excess loss.
I could expect to lose only 87.75 lbs.
So I should bottom out at 222.25. I'm at 225 today and I can tell you, it's been VERY hard to get lower.

Ahhhh. I get it. Thank you for taking the time.

You lose the rest by sticking with your diet and learning better, healthier eating habits in the immediate aftermath of the surgery.

Basically, you're almost guaranteed to lose 60% excess weight just through the brute force of your portion sizes being physically limited but the final 40% and beyond is all on you.

That being said, there are plenty of people who lose beyond the specific average. That's why it's an average. :) There are people who do super duper well and those that do not even hit the 60%.

I had RNY so my numbers are slightly different %. But Matt's done my numbers perfectly from a 5'4" woman. My ideal is 120lbs. On surgery day I was 222.4lbs. My RD expects me to hit goal at 156lbs.

I expect to hit my 1st (soft goal) at 150lbs. Not too far off of the RDs expectation. My surgeons goal was 160lbs. And I passed that today. Woot!!! My next goal will be 145lbs which finally puts me in normal weight range. From there is anyone's guess.

As Matt said, these last pounds are very slow to come off--like 2-4lbs per month slow. And I have now added in IF and things are picking back up. So I suspect that for most people to move lower on the scale and increase their % EBW lost numbers, you will have to have a determined approach to weight loss and maintenance. I do exercise every day (walking) and am trying to do some core strengthening exercises 3 days per week.

It's not that your tool no longer works...it's that your baser instincts, food habits of a lifetime, crappy behaviors, combined with the ability to eat more (but still less than original) come back and challenge your resolve and determination.

Edited by FluffyChix