Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental health

Good morning. Quick question.... did you notice with this weight loss surgery that you got overly emotional? Like I literally feel pregnant. I'm crying one minute, pissed off the next then laughing hysterically. I'm wondering if I'm losing my mind or if it's the beginning of some hormonal changes.

While your body is healing it's also releasing many hormones which could cause a temporary imbalance. As your body normalizes (as best it can) so will your hormones. If you still feel out of sorts, contact your surgeon and he may be able to give you something during this period.

While your body is healing it's also releasing many hormones which could cause a temporary imbalance. As your body normalizes (as best it can) so will your hormones. If you still feel out of sorts, contact your surgeon and he may be able to give you something during this period.
Thanks. I figured as much, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. I already had a bunch of hormonal imbalances due to a brain adenoma, Pcos etc, etc. ..so I guess I knew it was coming just not this soon. I'm only post OP day 8

Your body stores estrogen in your fat cells which gets released as you lose weight. Hence, emotional diva time :(

Your body stores estrogen in your fat cells which gets released as you lose weight. Hence, emotional diva time [emoji20]
Lol glad to know I'm not the only one it's happened to. Misery loves company and all that lol [emoji6] Be glad when it steadys out a bit.

3 hours ago, prkitty said:

Good morning. Quick question.... did you notice with this weight loss surgery that you got overly emotional? Like I literally feel pregnant. I'm crying one minute, pissed off the next then laughing hysterically. I'm wondering if I'm losing my mind or if it's the beginning of some hormonal changes.

It happened to me early on, day 2 and 3 in the hospital...I was so emotional and started having a panic attack. The nurse was amazing, talked me through it. I was okay after a few days after getting home.

Hopefully it passes soon :455_rosette:

It happened to me early on, day 2 and 3 in the hospital...I was so emotional and started having a panic attack. The nurse was amazing, talked me through it. I was okay after a few days after getting home.
Hopefully it passes soon :455_rosette:
Hope so. Thanks [emoji4]

*preamble* Yes I know this is the "Gal's Room"

BUT

Yes, hormone oddities are "normal". Fat stores estrogen, so as we start shedding the excess fat, that estrogen needs to be processed and removed as well, this creates floods of estrogen which... can cause temporary changes in your emotional processing. I answered here, because this effects Men in similar manor as well.

Hope everything levels out for you!

And.... Exit

BUT

Yes, hormone oddities are "normal". Fat stores estrogen, so as we start shedding the excess fat, that estrogen needs to be processed and removed as well, this creates floods of estrogen which... can cause temporary changes in your emotional processing. I answered here, because this effects Men in similar manor as well.

And.... Exit
Lol thanks..... I don't know what the rules are about men in the girls room but I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one whose emotionally off. [emoji4]

3 minutes ago, prkitty said:
11 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

BUT

And.... Exit

Lol thanks..... I don't know what the rules are about men in the girls room but I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one whose emotionally off.

It's supposed to be "no men in the girls room, no girls in the men's room" but... ladies post to the guys room ALL the time LOL. I don't like posting here because I try to respect the rules, but I came back to this a few times and was like... I have to chime in.

My emotions are ALL OVER the place... I'm just a few days shy of 6 months at this point.

It's supposed to be "no men in the girls room, no girls in the men's room" but... ladies post to the guys room ALL the time LOL. I don't like posting here because I try to respect the rules, but I came back to this a few times and was like... I have to chime in.

My emotions are ALL OVER the place... I'm just a few days shy of 6 months at this point.
When did it start? I can't be like this for six months..no offense. I really hate feeling like this.

2 minutes ago, prkitty said:
8 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

When did it start? I can't be like this for six months..no offense. I really hate feeling like this.

Week 3 or 4 ish... it comes and goes, some days worse than others... I guess it just depends on who much fat your body is processing... so it might be a good thing that you are going emo-crazy... lots of fat getting nuked!

Week 3 or 4 ish... it comes and goes, some days worse than others... I guess it just depends on who much fat your body is processing... so it might be a good thing that you are going emo-crazy... lots of fat getting nuked!
Lol well thankful for that but it's only day 8. I hope these hormones sort themselves out to a manageable level soon. [emoji4]

3 minutes ago, prkitty said:
5 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Lol well thankful for that but it's only day 8. I hope these hormones sort themselves out to a manageable level soon.

Just remember to give yourself a break. You are going through a LOT right now... it will get better!