Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried that I am failing

I'm 5 months post op and feel like I am failing in this journey. At least twice a week I am giving in to temptation and having a snack. I'm worried that this will cause me to revert back to my old eating habits. Although I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks, my doc says I'm right on track where I need to be. How do you fight the temptation?

From one queen to another, its okay to have a snack. Make it an event, make it half what it would have been pre-surgery, and enjoy. Get back on the plan afterwards. Don't make it so stressful. We are all going to have temptations. We just need to allow ouselves not to be perfect. I started my pre-surgery liquid diet. Struggling awful. Came online and found out again what it means to have support.

Thank you. We all need some form of support whether it comes from our loved ones or in groups like these. I appreciate your feedback and wish you luck on your journey!

Yep, @Queen Grandma is right - snacking is ok in moderation. But - what sort of snack? How far over your calories does it put you for the day? If you are ‘giving in’ and having a Protein Bar, well that is different to if you are giving in and having a pizza or a McD’s supersize meal or a diner sized portion of cake!

i am 9 months out and struggle with temptation too. A few things have helped:

1. If possible don’t have high-refined-sugar Snacks in the house. I have a rule - if I am desperate for something like that I have to walk to the shop (1 mile, with 1 mile uphill home) to get it. I have only set out twice and both times ended up just having a walk instead.

2. Plan for both snacks and treats. I have a note on the fridge of a few treats I am happy to have - yummy but ok for my stage of the journey. And another list of healthy snacks, to remind me. Cos when I get a snack-attack, I suddenly seem to forget about fruit, or yoghurt, of lettuce/hummus/cheese - crisps is the ONLY snack I can remember exists!

3. Plan. Plan ahead. Did I mention plan? Have frozen oopsie rolls in the freezer, your favourite cheese (Swiss for me) in the fridge, tins of sardines in Louisiana hot-sauce in the pantry. You know you’ll crave - so stock up the good stuff so it is easy to make a good choice!

And I log all my food in myfitnesspal - I have a section for “screw-ups” but I hardly use it these days. It is great to look back at the “snacks” section when I am craving - I now put only healthy snacks there, so I can use it to remind me of stuff out there that I like.. It takes time but the things you crave genuinely do start to change!

And - go easy on yourself. It is a marathon, not a sprint! But - do work at changing, cos we all need better habits if we want to avoid regain 😁

x

Edited by Biddy zz

I think another thing to remember is if you are “snacking” in order to give in to “temptation”, then finding a way to make those foods more healthy and acceptable to your new way of living is a good idea. There are tons of bariatric recipes for pizza, Pasta type dishes, many food craving type dishes. You may find a way to make something you are craving that is healthier and almost as appealing.

Now in some cases this is just not possible, and only a taste of the original will do and we are all human. Every now and again if it’s something special I will indulge...a homemade cookie, mom’s lasagna, etc.

The more weight you lose, the more positive effects you see by making healthy choices...the less you may crave unhealthy diet choices. It may increase your ability to make a healthy choice at any rate, I have found this to be true.

I usually stick to the healthier Snacks, but I have had some "no-nos". Today I had a jellly donut and I beat myself up about for the most part of the day. Last week I had a scoop of ice cream. I'm just trying not get back into the habit of eating these things when I know how slippery that slope is. One problem that I have is lack of time to plan. (something I'm working on). I do believe that is a great tool to avoid choosing not so healthy options.

Ive actually made tons of bariatric friendly recipes. Including cauliflower pizza. I even made it for my family and they loved it also!

9 hours ago, qweenla said:

I usually stick to the healthier Snacks, but I have had some "no-nos". Today I had a jellly donut and I beat myself up about for the most part of the day. Last week I had a scoop of ice cream. I'm just trying not get back into the habit of eating these things when I know how slippery that slope is. One problem that I have is lack of time to plan. (something I'm working on). I do believe that is a great tool to avoid choosing not so healthy options.

Ive actually made tons of bariatric friendly recipes. Including cauliflower pizza. I even made it for my family and they loved it also!

I think the most important thing it NOT to beat yourself up about it. Lots of times we eat because we're thirsty. Try keeping a flavored water nearby and sipping on that when you feel the urge to grab a jelly donut.

Yesterday at work someone brought in my favorite local donuts and they looked fabulous. It took some will but I turned away and took a sip of my freshly made Hawaiian punch Water (sugar free).

I also find if I keep some nuts with me at all times it helps curb the hunger. Take 3-4 nuts (your choice) and chew them till they're much and for some reason that helps me with those tempting moments.

Feeling ROTTEN this AM, people mention dreaded 3 week stall, NO ONE. mentioned a 14 day Flip-it-All! I feel as nasty rotten today as I should have right after surgery. The thought of EGD and balloon dilatation was mentioned yesterday, instead of marching bravely into Stage 3 I feel like I am. Being an abysmal failure at Stage 2. liquids I concede may be draining ok, seems like cream of rice and thicker hanging up in "Precious Pouch". Doesn't give a sensation of emptying. Some poachers even say they can listen to their body letting loose with a swoosh into their jeje small intestine, amI still too swollen to feel THAT? Good news - lost 6.5 pounds in a week Bad news- I had to feel pretty crappy to do it. WTFN? Nurse Practioner was making EGD noises yesterday, is that the NEXT step on this journey? Don't want my old plumbing,back, just want this NEW ONE to WORK!

I now plan to have a snack each day, which is either a Jello cup and/or a Dole fruit cup. The Jello is 5-10 calories and the fruit cups (Peaches or pineapple in fruit juice) are about 50. Jerky is also pretty good, you can get 50 cal Jacks Links snack packs from Walmart.

Edited by Paul Clarke

15 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Feeling ROTTEN this AM, people mention dreaded 3 week stall, NO ONE. mentioned a 14 day Flip-it-All! I feel as nasty rotten today as I should have right after surgery. The thought of EGD and balloon dilatation was mentioned yesterday, instead of marching bravely into Stage 3 I feel like I am. Being an abysmal failure at Stage 2. liquids I concede may be draining ok, seems like cream of rice and thicker hanging up in "Precious Pouch". Doesn't give a sensation of emptying. Some poachers even say they can listen to their body letting loose with a swoosh into their jeje small intestine, amI still too swollen to feel THAT? Good news - lost 6.5 pounds in a week Bad news- I had to feel pretty crappy to do it. WTFN? Nurse Practioner was making EGD noises yesterday, is that the NEXT step on this journey? Don't want my old plumbing,back, just want this NEW ONE to WORK!

An email literally just popped up with what's the best way to to treat nausea?

I thought I'd clip this for you in hopes maybe (just maybe) it could help:

Consider ginger, which is one of the best-known home remedies for nausea. You can take it in a tea, as a lozenge, or via ginger-spiced foods. Peppermint aromatherapy, a fancy way to describe smelling peppermint oil, can also help reduce nausea.

OTC Medications That May Ease Your Quease

If natural remedies don’t work for you, there are a number of over-the-counter drugs that may soothe an upset stomach. However, the type that will work best for you ultimately depends on the cause of your nausea, Dr. Arthur says. For example:

• If you have a stomach bug, it will probably just have to run its course, though Pepto-Bismol might be soothing.
  • For nausea due to motion sickness, Dramamine is worth a try.
  • If you have occasional heartburn with nausea, Tums, Mylanta, or Gaviscon might help.

I received some great advice from the psychologist during my band eval years ago (now a sleever) -

Being a "B" student is what you should strive for in eating after WLS. If you think you have to be perfect, the pressure may be too much. But if you aim for a "B", good most of the time, but certainly not all of the time, you may be happier in the long run.

My goal is to build a healthy lifestyle at a healthy weight. Which does include some Snacks, birthday cake and wine.