Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon did you return for work?

So I'm exactly 7 days post Op RNY.. Still having left sided incisions pain, getting over a left plueral effusion ( Fluid in the space around the lung). My surgeon wants to send me back to work next week.... I'm a nurse. Just wanted to know if this was common practice. TIA

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, prkitty said:

So I'm exactly 7 days post Op RNY.. Still having left sided incisions pain, getting over a left plueral effusion ( Fluid in the space around the lung). My surgeon wants to send me back to work next week.... I'm a nurse. Just wanted to know if this was common practice. TIA

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I took 2 full months off. My job requires a lot of moving, lifting, squatting, etc, so I wanted to make 100% sure not only that I was fully healed, but that I had time to figure out which foods I could eat and which I had to watch out for before going back. You can request longer, you just have to tell them, not ask, when you want to go back, that's what I did for both my Lapband and my RNY.

I took 2 full months off. My job requires a lot of moving, lifting, squatting, etc, so I wanted to make 100% sure not only that I was fully healed, but that I had time to figure out which foods I could eat and which I had to watch out for before going back. You can request longer, you just have to tell them, not ask, when you want to go back, that's what I did for both my Lapband and my RNY.
Yeah, my jobs are physically demanding as well. I feel like he's pressuring me to go back. I guess I'll have to try to put my foot down. I have my first follow up today, even though I just got out of the hospital for the lung issue yesterday. Thanks so much.

Just now, prkitty said:
4 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Yeah, my jobs are physically demanding as well. I feel like he's pressuring me to go back. I guess I'll have to try to put my foot down. I have my first follow up today, even though I just got out of the hospital for the lung issue yesterday. Thanks so much.

I would most certainly push, just be very direct with your "request"

"I don't feel comfortable going back to work so soon due to the physical demands of my job, I want to be sure I'm fully healed before I put my body back into that situation, so to avoid any complications or injury, I would like you to write me a return to work letter for (whatever date you want to return)"

I would most certainly push, just be very direct with your "request"

"I don't feel comfortable going back to work so soon due to the physical demands of my job, I want to be sure I'm fully healed before I put my body back into that situation, so to avoid any complications or injury, I would like you to write me a return to work letter for (whatever date you want to return)"
Thanks, I will do just that. [emoji4]

On 09/18/2018 at 06:16, Matt Z said:

I wish I could afford to take more time off. I had planned to go back yesterday ( exactly 7 from surgery) but I’m still feeling miserable. I absolutely have to return next Monday. Since I’m not technically full time I don’t get any benefits. I have a feeling next week will be a very long and exhausting one. My job is physically demanding as well. The lifting and bending are going to be rough.

I wish I could afford to take more time off. I had planned to go back yesterday ( exactly 7 from surgery) but I’m still feeling miserable. I absolutely have to return next Monday. Since I’m not technically full time I don’t get any benefits. I have a feeling next week will be a very long and exhausting one. My job is physically demanding as well. The lifting and bending are going to be rough.
[emoji20] I'm sorry hun. I really can't afford it either but I have a good support system. Will your job accept you back with restrictions? Mine won't.

On 09/18/2018 at 07:08, prkitty said:

[emoji20] I'm sorry hun. I really can't afford it either but I have a good support system. Will your job accept you back with restrictions? Mine won't.
No, they won’t. I’m just going to have to do what i can and hope coworkers can help with a couple things for a week or so. Lord knows I’ve helped them in the past. If not, I guess I’ll get sent home.

I took six weeks off. I’m a nurse as well working over 12 hours on a busy and physically demanding medical surgical unit.

Surprised your surgeon is in a rush to send you back.

I took six weeks off. I’m a nurse as well working over 12 hours on a busy and physically demanding medical surgical unit.
Surprised your surgeon is in a rush to send you back.
Me too. I work in an ICU full time and part time in the cardiac cath lab. I just don't understand..smh. Heading to my follow up now. Hoping to make him grasp the situation.

Yeah I’m taking 6 weeks as well mine said normally 3 weeks but can offer up to 6 which I took to be safe. I have good and bad days.

Yeah I’m taking 6 weeks as well mine said normally 3 weeks but can offer up to 6 which I took to be safe. I have good and bad days.
I got 4 weeks which is all my bank account can take lol. I'm glad he listened and was receptive.

Well that’s good!

8 weeks, but I’m a teacher and I was home for the summer anyway