Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid that I'm going to let fear of pain prevent me from going through with surgery

Exactly what the title says... I've researched this surgery up and down. I know it is the right choice for me. I am not concerned about the strict diet afterwards (I have lost over 100 pounds in the past through diet and exercise). I'm just having this really irrational fear of the recovery pain. I just want to know what to expect but of course everyone has a different experience. Especially with a lot of people posting "I have really high pain tolerance but..." lol. I don't even know what kind of pain tolerance I have. Sorry for this whiney fear-induced post.
Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery on 08/22/18 and have no pain since. I am down 40 pounds so far and will end my puree meal in 3 days! I am 6'1" and weighed 340lbs. The worst part is drinking the shakes.......can't stand them. I feel great, best thing I could have done! Just don't listen to all of the drama on these forums! Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-T520 using BariatricPal mobile app

On ‎09‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Oct517 said:

Exactly what the title says... I've researched this surgery up and down. I know it is the right choice for me. I am not concerned about the strict diet afterwards (I have lost over 100 pounds in the past through diet and exercise). I'm just having this really irrational fear of the recovery pain. I just want to know what to expect but of course everyone has a different experience. Especially with a lot of people posting "I have really high pain tolerance but..." lol. I don't even know what kind of pain tolerance I have. Sorry for this whiney fear-induced post.

I hope this doesn't scare you, because I'm trying to do the opposite. I had the worst, very worst experience post op with pain management. In fact, my post op pain was so bad that I developed shingles at 28 years old from the trauma and stress on my body. I will have shingles out breaks, potentially, for the rest of my life. That being said, still, absolutely the best thing I've ever done. I would go through that pain 10 more times to be sitting in my same shoes. Everyone's pain experience is different. Some people go back to work after a few days, and are just fine. Some people have a hard time adjusting and lack energy early on. The point is, this is all worth every ounce of pain endured. It will change your life forever, if you are willing to let it.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't fret about the pain and nausea from the surgery.

Like CrankyMagpie I too have autoimmune arthritis. Let me must say that the joint pain form that is horrible on good days, and when it's cold or it rains it's 10x worse.

So I say to myself, "self, you handle that pain from the Arthritis without taking any heavy duty pain meds, what makes you think you can't handle a few little cuts on you tummy and some gas like you ate a whole pot of Beans without chewing". The answer is I can. I can do this. All of us preop folks, we got this. Post op champions, you guys are awesome. You all made it, we all can make it.

Fear is just False Expectations Appearing Real. Kick fear in the a__

This is my scale of pain...

endometriosis 9/10

slipped disc 8/10

hysterectomy 8/10

kidney stones 6/10

gastric sleeve 2/10

I had some discomfort, but it was gone within 2 weeks. Stick with it - you'll be fine!

There will be pain. It will be mostly from the gas. The first day I begged for morphine. By night two it had decreased significantly. The real pain will last a week but they will send you home with some good stuff, I got oxycodone. Then there will be some minor soreness from your incisions for about another week or two--itchiness from the healing. Then nada. You feel tired, a bit weak, but all and all ok.

I had two c-sections and they sucked, they were painfully. This was a cakewalk in compassion. You'll be okay. :)

I had the sleeve in may - had NO pain. small discomfort when I got home and I bumped my stomach into the sink/vanity, but not enough to even make me want a Tylenol. I expected pain too .. but nothing. laying down in bed after I got home.. no big deal. was taking walks outside the 2nd day home. felt great.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:50 AM, Oct517 said:

Let fear take over or get treatment to get your health back.

Fear of the unknown is natural. Your experience will be unique to you. No one can tell you what your experience is going to be. Just be prepared for pain. Know that your team is going to take good care of you and manage it with medication.

Is reading people's horror stories helping you? I understand getting both perspectives.

My experience with pain was normal and temporary. I'm over 100 pounds down. To me the pain is worth it.

On 18/09/2018 at 1:16 AM, AshAsh1 said:

I hope this doesn't scare you, because I'm trying to do the opposite. I had the worst, very worst experience post op with pain management. In fact, my post op pain was so bad that I developed shingles at 28 years old from the trauma and stress on my body. I will have shingles out breaks, potentially, for the rest of my life. That being said, still, absolutely the best thing I've ever done. I would go through that pain 10 more times to be sitting in my same shoes. Everyone's pain experience is different. Some people go back to work after a few days, and are just fine. Some people have a hard time adjusting and lack energy early on. The point is, this is all worth every ounce of pain endured. It will change your life forever, if you are willing to let it.

Shingles are not pleasant at all, especially on top of WLS. Have you considered the shingles vaccination? I had it earlier this year. Vaccines may be made differently in the USA but I needed to wait one year after a second bout of shingles before I could have the vaccination.

Edited by 2shea

I honestly had moderate paid for two days, after that, I was fine

Let fear take over or get treatment to get your health back.
Fear of the unknown is natural. Your experience will be unique to you. No one can tell you what your experience is going to be. Just be prepared for pain. Know that your team is going to take good care of you and manage it with medication.
Is reading people's horror stories helping you? I understand getting both perspectives.
My experience with pain was normal and temporary. I'm over 100 pounds down. To me the pain is worth it.

I believe that hearing peoples horror stories helps me. It helps me know what's the worst to expect. Obviously, I like hearing all the good stories also. I like to know what to expect even if that may be a broad range

I am getting really close to my surgery. I have one more nutrition appt. and then I’m good to go. It’s been 6 months of appts and tests and reading and learning. Today I saw my family doctor and someone in the front office is 3 months post op and we had a good chat. She is 51 lbs less. And I asked about post op pain. She said the air they blow in your system to expose the stomach etc.... was the worst part. Once she worked that out of her system she was good. She did pain meds in the hospital. And one day at home. She missed 10 days of work and although all the changes come and need to be addressed, I am pretty confident that the pain is close to that of maybe a gallbladder removal. Rest and healing is the key, she said pain was minimal. I’m encouraged and look forward to sharing my surgery experience and beyond. 🙂. You got this.

Omg. Don’t listen to them. The pain is very mild. I’ve had a c-section before and that was pain. This was nothing for me. You will be fine. Besides it is all worth it in the end.

I am a 13 major surgery survivor and hope to have my sleeve surgery at the end of October 2018. I will follow that up by having both knees replaced. I danced, for years, and have fought weight all my life. My surgery is to get the weight off my knees and back. It’s too late for me not to have to have the knees replaced but I’ll bet it’s not too late for you to change the course of your future. Do not let fear of the unknown hold you a prisoner for one second longer than it needs to.

On 09/18/2018 at 17:04, 2shea said:

Shingles are not pleasant at all, especially on top of WLS. Have you considered the shingles vaccination? I had it earlier this year. Vaccines may be made differently in the USA but I needed to wait one year after a second bout of shingles before I could have the vaccination.

You can’t get the vaccine until min age of 55 years old.

Honestly, it wasn’t that bad. I only needed pain meds for the first few days. After that, Tylenol did the trick.

I looked at it this way. My back, my knees, and the grooves in my shoulders hurt every day before surgery. They don’t cause me pain any longer. Every day long-term pain vs acute pain for a day or two. It’s a choice.