Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how often were you told to eat

I had surgary feb 5th i lost 80lbs but been at this for 2 months I was just told by some one that im supposed to be eating every 3 hours ,is that true and if so what do you all eat ?

We were told that it depends on personal needs.

The standard recommendation was three meals and an afternoon snack and not to eat 2 hours before going to bed. However, when you're quite active you might be in need of a fifth and sixth meal.

Iv been only eating one time a day I work nights and eat at work. than you for your info

13 minutes ago, nancydrew said:

Iv been only eating one time a day I work nights and eat at work. than you for your info

Only one meal per day? How many calories and volume for that one meal?

volume? and about 256/600

Volume - 1 cup, 1/2 cup etc of food. After about eight months I would have thought that you may need to eat more than 300 to 600 calories a day. Is this what your surgeon or nutritionist recommends?

they have not told me how much to eat. all they ask me last time Is went I eat for food or what I like to eat.. they never told me how much to eat what to eat how many calories to eat. my life is so busy and don't have a lot of time to call them so that's why I have came online :)

Normally and individual is told to eat three meals a day. In some rare cases where individuals have great difficulty eating, with very limited volume per meal, they recommend increasing the number of meals to 5 or 6 so that the daily food volume is maintained.

Eating one meal per day is not recommended.

My surgeon says “Only when you’re truly hungry”. Just because it’s “breakfast” time doesn’t mean you should eat. Eat when your body says you’re hungry. Your Breakfast (breaking your fast) might be at 1pm. Who knows? Why eat more than your body is requiring? This is mindless eating, I know, because I struggle with it even now.

Edited by Newme17

Oh dear! I hate when we all were given different information but unfortuantely that is the case. I was told to eat 3 meals plus 2 Snacks each day. That is not mindless eating, it is keeping your body working at a constant level and not spiking. Mindless eating is when you are just stuffing food in your mouth without even tasting it or thinking about what you are doing. The important thing to note is that a snack or sometimes even a meal, doesnt really look like we thought of them before surgery. A snack might be 8 almonds and some string cheese.

I wasn't told to focus on calories but to focus on grams of protein/fat/carbs. Especially Protein. You need to have (at least when you have been out from surgery for quite a while) around 60-100 grams of protein per day. Sometimes that is hard but your body needs it. Note that I am only talking about from a gastric bypass perspective, I have no idea how sleeve works.

35 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Why eat more than your body is requiring?

A body need needs more than 300 to 600 calories over the long term. Just because someone doesn't feel hungry doesn't mean the body is getting sufficient sustenance.

Right 2shea! And, in the first year or so, your hunger hormone is gone so you wouldn't even know when you are hungry. Very dangerous and slippery slope. Did they assign a nutritionist for you? That's usually part of the plan and can be very helpful for any of us.

19 minutes ago, 2shea said:

A body need needs more than 300 to 600 calories over the long term. Just because someone doesn't feel hungry doesn't mean the body is getting sufficient sustenance.

Agreed! If I only ate when I was truly hungry, I wouldn't eat at all. Nonetheless, I eat about 6 meals a day because at my reduced capacity, it takes that many meals to hit my numbers.

Log your foods and make sure you are getting sufficient macros in, I use MyfitnessPal

Also are you still using Protein Shakes? Those count as meals although technically they are drunk and not eaten...

13 hours ago, 2shea said:

Thus you choose the right nutrient foods and take your supplements.

Our bodies can do a whole lot more than what we give it credit for, and besides it’s not forever that you won’t get your calories in.

IN MY OPINION....eating just because it’s time is setting yourself back up for overeating, mindless eating. So I stand by the instructions I was given and I’ve been successful. I don’t have a lack of anything, Vitamins nor Protein (shocking!!! And I don’t eat meat!!! Gasp!!! Close your mouths). So, I must be an exception. Smh.

to each your own