Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux Concerns - Oct. Sleeve Surgery

Hello,

This is a question for sleevers. I am scheduled for VSG on October 17, my doctor has warned me that I could potentially have

acid reflux. I don't have severe reflux now, but have had it in the past and occasionally depending on how I eat (what, when and how much).

I usually fix it by making a natural tonic of warm Water, baking soda, lemon and/or apple cider vinegar.

I am wondering if any sleevers have experienced horrible acid reflux, I have read on the forums a lot of VSG'rs getting revisionsto the by-pass.

I'm wondering if you don't make the correct lifestyle changes you have acid or if it's unavoidable? Will I be okay for a few years and will it

hit years down the line. There are cancer concerns with PPI meds that alleviate the reflux. i am having second thoughts because of this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Are you saying you had severe reflux in the past? If so, VSG may not be your best option. But if you just had bad heartburn on rare occasions, that's different.

However, if you had it occasionally, there's no way to predict whether you'll get it after surgery. My doctor is currently trying to decide if I should get a revision due to reflux. I don't think I had reflux before, but I'm not positive and did not have an endoscopy before the surgery. However, due to swallowing issues after surgery, he sent me for an upper GI and I completely impressed the radiologist (never a good thing.) Every time I swallowed, I was refluxing all the way to my collarbones. However, it is a small percentage of VSGs that need to be revised. If I didn't have a real issue with GERD before, it wouldn't be a major factor in which surgery I chose. Have you had an endoscopy to see if you have GERD damage now?

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

i have had severe reflux that has made me spring up to a sitting position from my sleep. That has happened

after having a heavy meal and consumed alcohol (especially tequila or red wine). I don't do that anymore, thus

I have not had this happen. I do have occasional minor acid reflux. My surgeon and the pre-op info so far does

not indicate a endoscopy test in the horizon. Perhaps I should look into that. My preference is for sleeve surgery.

Thank you for your responses!

I think there is a difference with having occasional cases of reflux, and having it chronically.

I had occasional heartburn. But it was always related to drinking heavily and then lying down. Post VSG I was on PPI for a couple of months. I went off it and have not had one instance of reflux.

I would suggest talking to your surgeon about your concerns.

I had GERD before sleeve surgery. In the past, I had some pretty bad bouts of it where it caused chest pain. I also had GERD pretty bad with the band. I'd also go long periods with nothing, so it was a mystery.

When I started looking into another bariatric surgery, my surgeon cautioned me, but continued to perform pre-op testing. The doctor felt that my GERD was "situational", meaning that it was related to diet and obesity. So, we decided it was worth the risk, but he warned that there were no guarantees that I wouldn't have GERD after the sleeve.

I had surgery on 4/10/18 and about 3 weeks afterwards, I started getting heartburn. I started on Nexium right away and the symptoms are well controlled with it. I wouldn't say that it's severe or "intractable" as my psych evaluator so kindly put it. It's just a little bit of heartburn and if I eat too late in the evening, I will wake with a sore throat (easily remedied by sleeping on an inclined bed).

My advice, discuss with your doctor. Every person is different and every person will respond differently.

My surgeon refused to do a VSG on me due to pre-existing GERD. I’m glad that I had gastric bypass as reflux is a serious issue. For most people, RNY resolves or lessens GERD.

Note that a lot of insurance plans only pay for 1 WLS per lifetime so if you get VSG and need to revise to another surgery due to GERD or insufficient weight loss, you may end up having to pay out-of-pocket.

I never had reflux before my surgery and now I do. they have had to change my medicines twice, it's the worst! My doctor says it will go away, but when?? Put a big damper on a whole day.

I had GERD before my sleeve and I have not had it since. Everyone is different.