Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not eating and drinking at the same time

How long does it take to get used to not eating and drinking at the same time? That seems so strange to me.

I started practicing it before surgery and it was a relatively easy transition. Yes, it was a little weird at first, but it eventually becomes "normal".

For me, the hardest part is when you go out to a restaurant and they always want you to have a full glass. I've even tried not ordering a drink at all, but I get looks of confusion from the wait staff.

I can't say how long for sure, but you get used to it.

I don't even remember when it became normal. I started pre surgery as well. I've even gotten used to looking at the clock as soon as I finish my meal so I know when the 30 is up.

I never got used to it, and luckily I have ended up with it not mattering!

I try for not drinking right before a meal, but can sip a drink during dinner quite happily and I still comfortably eat my meal. Not huge volumes of liquid, of course, so I have done SOME adjustment!

Edited by Biddy zz

On 09/13/2018 at 20:34, Biddy zz said:

I try for not drinking right before a meal, but can sip a drink during dinner quite happily and I still comfortably eat my meal. Not huge volumes of liquid, of course, so I have done SOME adjustment!

Has it always been that way? How far out from surgery are you?

I use a 30 mins hourglass timer at home. At work I just take note of the time I finish eating and go from there. You have to make it a habit and keep yourself up on it, it's not really a "natural" thing so it can be hard to get into the swing.

I'm almost 4 weeks post and have never really drank with a meal (prior to wls), but started actively practicing this process prior to surgery to get me in the right mindset. The before is probably a little more challenging for me than during and immediate post. Although, sometimes I swear now that I shouldn't drink 30 before or after I feel like I want / need to. It is a conscious struggle / reminder not to.

Sometimes, I do HAVE to take a sip during it's usually because something went down wrong and not quite ready to choke to death because of this rule. But like everyone has noted, I'm very time conscious and make every effort to stay true.

11 hours ago, Biddy zz said:

The point of not drinking 30 minutes before or after a meal is so the food in your stomach has more time to digest and the liquid does not push it through faster. It's not an issue of if you physically can or cannot drink and eat at the same time.

My plan has me not drink 10 min before, none during, and 20 after. The only time this has been an issue for me has been when I've eaten something spicy.

I do take a drink of Water shortly after I eat lunch in order to take my Vitamins.

13 hours ago, baribetty said:
16 hours ago, Biddy zz said:

I am 9 months out. It wasn’t that way to start with - I had a lap band for 9 or so years, and this was the thing I struggled with the most for the first 4 years when it was working. I never got used to it.

After the bypass I tried sipping with a meal - and at about 4 months found it was fine. I drink pretty much only lightly carbonated Water, maybe 1/4 glass with a meal, and usually to wet my mouth, throat, for swallowing.

My surgeon is fine with this and comfortable it has no ill effects. I don’t drink after I am finished eating, though.

Edited by Biddy zz

On 09/14/2018 at 13:28, Biddy zz said:

I am 9 months out. It wasn’t that way to start with - I had a lap band for 9 or so years, and this was the thing I struggled with the most for the first 4 years when it was working. I never got used to it.

After the bypass I tried sipping with a meal - and at about 4 months found it was fine. I drink pretty much only lightly carbonated Water, maybe 1/4 glass with a meal, and usually to wet my mouth, throat, for swallowing.

My surgeon is fine with this and comfortable it has no ill effects. I don’t drink after I am finished eating, though.

Do you let the Water flatten or is there a magical “half carbonated” water out there?? :)

Good question! My sodastream does carbonation to 1, 2, or 3 level. I drink it with a meal at 1, on its own at 2. But giving a bottle a shake and letting it stand works - but less predictably!

A while, I am not over-endowed with saliva , I chew, I chew, I chew and after 33 chews I try sallowing and pray for the best!👅👌