Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op pain - be honest

When I woke up first thing I felt was the pain my my chest-gas pain. Worked it’s way out before I even made it to my room. I used the pain pump in the hospital and used pain medication when I got home because there was pain but it was not unbearable. Eight weeks out now and sometimes I get twinges of pain in the incision sites but nothing I need to take pain medication for. Walking was key.

The stomach isn’t a super sensitive organ (apparently). I found that my pain was mostly at the incisions and muscular. It was difficult to sit up, reposition in bed, and you really shouldn’t lift anything for 3 weeks. I also had the common pulling pain at the main incision by my belly button that kind of scared me at times. I was taken aback by surgery a bit... because I knew it wasn’t a very difficult recovery going in, the reality of surgery was sort of confronting. It wasn’t terrible, and looking back even less bad, but I remember thinking it wasn’t great, and a little more intense than I expected. But I also feel like it wasn’t very intense at all... I guess the body and mind have a good way of helping us forget.
Adjusting to the immediate post op diet was more difficult... especially since you feel like you should be losing a lot of weight after doing something so drastic, but what I have come to realize through experience and reading these forums is that it’s a slower process than you might expect.

I'm finding this post to be really helpful. I'm really nervous about not being able to handle the pain after surgery and I really don't want the fear of pain to hold be back from going through with it. It's nice to be able to hear from other people who have already gone through the experience so I have more of an idea of what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Pain? I didn't have any. HOWEVER... nobody here is saying whether they had laparoscopic surgery, robotic surgery, open surgery. The pain levels from each will differ. My surgery was laparoscopic and done robotically, and I really had no pain at all. I had a couple of sharp gas pains high under my left armpit on the first night, but as long as I didn't move in a certain way, I was fine. No incisional pain, no internal pain at all. I had a terrible time with nausea from the anesthesia on the first night, though. It was expected; I had been through this when I had my gall bladder out 23 years ago. The tanked me up on all kinds of anti-nauseants, and I was fine in the recovery room until they wheeled me down the hall and into the elevator. Then I was MISERABLE. The nurse finally got them to put something in my IV (zofran maybe? Don't really remember) which was the 7th anti-nausea medication. It kicked in and I was fine after that. I was up and walking within 6 hours of my surgery, pushing my IV pole with me, and went home on the morning of day 3. (Day 1 being day-of surgery).

For the record, I stayed home from work way longer than necessary, but I had a ton of "use 'em or lose 'em" sick days. I could have gone back after a week, although I was pretty tired and still trying to juggle the eating/exercising thing. I definitely should have gone back at the end of 2 weeks, but it was a glorious fall and I had sick days begging to be used, so I stayed out another week- totally unnecessary, but I felt like treating myself to a post-surgical vacation.

Edited by leebick

I will start by saying I have an extremely high tolerance for pain. That and I have family that I have seem struggle with addiction. I would rather be a little uncomfortable than go through what they do on a daily basis. I chose to have no narcotic pain medication after I woke up from surgery. I took Tylenol and used heat and walking to work through the pain. Honestly it was not bad at all. My surgery was a revision from a lap band to a sleeve and I was told it would be more painful than if I was just getting the sleeve. I think when you allow your body to push through pain you heal faster. That is just my opinion with absolutely no scientific evidence to prove it. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days to make sure I had my Fluid intake good enough to keep the progress at home. Best of luck to you!

Surgery was laparoscopic, had it late in the day approximately 5:30pm. I pretty much just slept through the night and they took me off the morphine as I didn’t use it. I wasn’t allowed to get up and walk until the morning. All pain meds were oral liquids. Last time I took a pain Med was right before I left the hospital so I wouldn’t be uncomfortable on the ride home. Have been walking and on elliptical since week two. Went back to work 9 days after surgery. I’ve unfortunately have had many surgeries so this one was a walk in the park compared to some of my others. Had some moments of discomfort from gas but walking helped.

I have struggled with pain on the left larger incision. The worst pain I’ve had has been from the heartburn and vomiting. I struggle to keep anything down. Just my experience. 9 days post op.

My gas pain was unbearable! I ended up staying an extra day in the hospital. Since coming home a heating pad has been a lifesaver for the pain in my back and shoulder.

Pain meds for two days, lots of walking, and get some rest

my wife says I woke up super nauseous after surgery but I don't remember that.

Stomach pain wasn't that bad. Gas pain only bothered me a bit on the 2nd and 3rd day. I heat pack on my right should helped.

sleeping that first week was more painful. What helped there - a wedge (from Bed, Bath & Beyond - the really nice wedge). And a heavy tempurpedic pillow on my stomach. I couldn't sleep on my side and if I accidentally tried to situp in bed - major ow. But sitting on the sofa, or walking around the house - I had almost zero pain.

The most painful experience I had was the first Bowel Movement a week after surgery. I've said this before - and it's worth repeating:

1) buy and take stool softeners
2) buy and take Fiber one/metamucil powder (add to water)
3) buy and take Miralax or something similar
4) if you don't have a bowel movement in a week, contact your surgeon's office. You don't want that turning into a dangerous situation.

On 09/12/2018 at 18:42, tahoegirl96118 said:

Hi all,

This has probably been asked a gazillion times. Just wondering how everyone did with the post op pain. I'm not too worried about the gas pain but more the incision pain. I'm not a fan of pain meds, they make me vomit.....

How did everyone do? The good, the bad and the ugly.....

Also, I'm doing this alone. Will I be okay by myself or should I aske the surgeon to keep me an extra day.

Thanks

I only used the prescription pain medicine for a day after arriving home. I would explain to your doctor that you’ve had nausea issues with some pain medications. Perhaps there’s an alternative medication they can prescribe that will not make you nauseas?

After stopping the prescription medication, I switched to liquid Tylenol for a few days to a week. If you use this, make sure to get the adult kind and not the kid kind, which is loaded in sugar.

I had my mom and husband here, but really could have done it alone. I had no incision pain (they are so tiny!), but I did have discomfort from Constipation and quite a bit of soreness in my core, due to the incisions going through my abdominal muscles.

Regarding whether you can go it alone, that really depends on your age, health, and whether you are presently able to take care of yourself with ease. Chances are you have no trouble taking care of yourself currently, you’ll manage okay after surgery.

I did not have much pain at all. Once I got home, I didn't take any pain meds (except once 5 days post op for gas pain in my shoulder, and once for a headache). I was slightly uncomfortable when trying to get in/out of bed or bending, but otherwise I was fine.
This was almost my experience exactly. I took 1 tylenol for a headache 4 days post op (more likely dehydration) but I refused pain meds because I wanted to take control of my pain and body and not mask anything.
So glad I did because most of the time it was gas pains. Getting up and in /out of bed was rough, but found a small throw pillow and it became my best friend.

Only shoulder pain the day of surgery, more of an deep ache than pain. Did 9,000 steps in hospital morning after surgery and was released. Did not take any pain meds at home, only some liquid Tylenol for a headache. Only incision pain was from one spot irritated by my bra. Sent my husband back to work the day I got home and my daughter back to camp. I’ve been in way more pain from a back spasm!!!!! Listen to your body and relax. You’ll do great!!!!

Hi all,
This has probably been asked a gazillion times. Just wondering how everyone did with the post op pain. I'm not too worried about the gas pain but more the incision pain. I'm not a fan of pain meds, they make me vomit.....
How did everyone do? The good, the bad and the ugly.....
Also, I'm doing this alone. Will I be okay by myself or should I aske the surgeon to keep me an extra day.
Thanks
I was sleeved on 8/31 and did it all by myself. I purposely stayed in the hospital for 2 days as a precaution. I did experience minimum incision pains when I left the hospital but it was bearable...no pain meds and I actually drove myself to and from the hospital and I was fine.

Sent from my N9521 using BariatricPal mobile app