Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories should I eat 1.5yrs post op SADI-S

I got my SADI-S on January 11, 2017 and I have been in a weightloss stall for the past 8months. I am honestly at a total loss for ideas! I make aure to eat over 100g or Protein per day, eat lots of healthy fats and very little carbs such as is recommended for my surgery but i am CONSTANTLY STARVING!!

I eat between 1400-2200 calories per day, sometimes even more on especially hungry days!

I am open to suggestions, constructive criticism... i just need to lose these last 50lbs so i can get my plastic surgeries!! Maybe i’m not eating enough???

Can you do us all a solid please and go up to the Profile area and fill out your information with a weight ticker so we can help you?

It would also help to know what specifically a general day looks like to you from a food standpoint--your meals and Snacks and drinks etc.

Welcome, btw.

FluffyChix I did but it kees saying error everytime i try! Must be a glitch!

I will keep trying but in the meantime, my day looks about like this:

Breakfast1: coffee with cream and Premier Protein shake.< br />
Breakfast2: 2-3eggs with cheese

Lunch1: usually chicken kr beef with veggies. Sometimes shrimps or fish.

Lunch2: veggie Soup with Protein Powder or leftover lunch 1.

Snack: Atkins low carb Protein Bar or peanuts/cashews

Dinner: same as lunch, a bit more veggies usually eat it in 2 parts about a cup at a time.

Snack: 2 greek yogourts

Sometimes i am still hungry and i’ll have a piece of cheese or another yogourt before bed!

Won’t let me say i’m from Canada! Can’t update my profile at all!

Ok I'm only 5 months out, not a vet, but I have 4 family members/ friends who are. I think 2200 calories are too many unless you're exercising a lot. Do you take a PPI? Are you drinking lots of Water still? From day 1 I've been hungry but I think my restriction is more than yours ? I also take extra antacids if I feel starving but I workout and burn probably 700-900 calories per session. I've seen vets say they maintain at maybe 1800? I'm not an expert but the "average" diet , I think the one they base everything on is 2000 calories.

58 minutes ago, DixieD said:

Won’t let me say i’m from Canada! Can’t update my profile at all!

Are you working out regularly? If so, how many calories are you burning? Do you remember what your BMR was prior to WLS? Keep in mind that post WLS it's probably much less and you probably shouldn't consume more than 1500 KCAL per day unless your workouts compensate the difference.

I know prior to my surgery my BMR was 1563 and now post it's 1382. So, my KCAL intake really needs to remain much lower.

@magpie I do workout and I do still take a PPI everyday because I have awful GERD since surgery.
I have vets who told me to eat between 3000-4000 calories per day because we malabsorb close to half of those calories with the DS but i have the loop-DS so i’m super torn! I have no baseline and it’s such a new surgery not even the surgeons can help me! Lol

I drink lots of Water but I do have a hard time with that on some days for sure!!

@DixieD, I think I would start by cutting calories first.

Stupid question but how do i rely directly to you?! I can’t seem to figure it out in my app lol

Also, most days i am 1400-1600... not gaining but not losing either AND i am seriously like starving all the time. I’m afraid if i cut down with the amount of exercise I do that I will be malnourished and weak and starving even more than i am not. Arghhh so frustrating! But i’ll definitely try!!!
Maybe i can still eat but eat like veggies instead since they are low calories!

@DixieD, in my samsung app - I just press reply and it auto quotes the person I am responding to. on the website I use the @person's name to write directly to that person.

Try and add more Water, that will help fill you up and not leave you hungry. Do you use a food tracker? There may be a trigger food that is preventing you from weightloss.

I would try changing up your menu as well. Change is good and may help boost a change. Alter days where you go less calories and offset the more cal days when you workout. But I would try to limit yourself to 1200 and see what happens.

Edited by MargoCL

Weird... i phone app doesn’t have reply or when i use your name it doesn’t tag you!

Anyways... thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it!! I’ll try to incorporate lower caloric foods that way I can still eat as much but with fewer calories! Time for a new meal plan!!

2 hours ago, DixieD said:

FluffyChix I did but it kees saying error everytime i try! Must be a glitch!

I will keep trying but in the meantime, my day looks about like this:

Breakfast1: coffee with cream and Premier Protein shake.

Breakfast2: 2-3eggs with cheese

Lunch1: usually chicken kr beef with veggies. Sometimes shrimps or fish.

Lunch2: veggie Soup with Protein Powder or leftover lunch 1.

Snack: Atkins low carb Protein Bar or peanuts/cashews

Dinner: same as lunch, a bit more veggies usually eat it in 2 parts about a cup at a time.

Snack: 2 greek yogourts

Sometimes i am still hungry and i’ll have a piece of cheese or another yogourt before bed!

Ok, so if I understand this, you eat about 1cup of food per meal. And you are eating this frequently cuz you are a Starvin Marvin. Right?

So I'm no expert and def not a vet. I also get hungrier with exercise, and also get hungrier the more food quantity and more meals I eat. So it's a Catch22 for me.

The huge question is how much food you REALLY and truly absorb. I'm not sure I actually believe the whole 50% of food is lost. I think our bodies are amazingly resilient at maintaining homeostasis. And that means that after 18month-3years, we start regrowing microvilli so that the intestines can pick up the nutrients better. I know this to be true in RNY from studies, and would presume the same for DS/SADI Loop. But dunno...

The thing I would start with is to dump ALL the crap and liquid nourishment. Dump the Atkins Bar. Dump the Protein Drink if you are having issues with hunger. If you are hungry, you need to get dense high value Protein and fat in your system in order to feel satiety. But if you have a ton of fat to lose I don't know if you need to pack it in, cuz of the calories. i'd just eat lean protein and a bit of healthy fat and see how that does.

My meals would be so basic--mine ARE basic. You can go to the Intermittent Fasting thread and see them:

Lean Protein (3-4oz)--limited full fat cheese

Veg

salad

No Cal Dressing (and use either the fat from my meat or fat from avocado to aid in absorbing fat soluble vitamins). But with your surgery, you may need to add 1 1/2 tsp of fat source to every meal. Dunno your surgical needs.

I would TRY to get to a point where you can eat only every 3-4 hours and then maybe look at going longer. And I think bottom line, if you're not losing you are taking in too much of something. Hope that helps!

Edited by FluffyChix

Definitely helps a lot!!! Great information!! ❤️

@DixieD oh geez! I didn't even pay attention to your type of surgery, that's one i don't know enough about. I had the sleeve, pretty basic, right? But I feel hungry all the time, someone suggested tums (maybe it was that chick up there lol!) those sort of help. I don't do shakes and I try to stay away from bars like fluffy said. I eat basic too and I'm not afraid of fat, I don't follow Keto or Paleo but do my own thing. I eat a lot of yogurt, cheeses, nuts and I'll indulge and have REAL bacon with my one egg. I know you have absorption issues with your surgery but my nut said and I've seen some articles that say over 100 grams of Protein is pointless because we pee it all out, the extra i mean.

I don't know, I feel the being hungry thing, and I am not supposed to be hungry according to what everything said about the sleeve. I just drink Water, or Crystal light or Decaf tea and I have struggles with Fluid off and on too. It seriously feels like it's a job to.drink water, I loved it before, now it's a chore. My doctor also upped my PPI dose too. I'm going to.educate myself on your surgery though because i.Don't know enough about it and I feel like i.should know what my WLS brothers and sisters go through

@magpie26 it’s a sleeve but also rerouting of the intestines to bypass the upper intestines completely so basically where the nutrients and fats are absorbed. I eat pretty plain too i felt like but it is true that i should stop the bars and shakes because they don’t bring anything to me other than “protein”...