Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't understand!!!

So I posted before because after I got home from surgery I wasn't losing any weight and for 3 weeks, not a pound. Then finally by my one month anniversary I was losing a lbs a day. I weigh myself on Sunday, but I just happen to hop on this morning and wish I didn't, I gained 3 lbs in 3 days. I'm utterly deviatated and beyond depressed. Needless to say I hid the scale from myself, but tomorrow I have to go to my dietitian's appointment a failure.

I wouldn't worry, have you started eating differently / transitioning to normal foods? If so, this will cause this. As long as you are tracking your intakes and you are consuming less calories than you are burning per day, AND you are getting PLENTY of Water (upwards of 128oz minimum) then you'll be fine. Fluctuations happen, stalls happen, gains happen. Just stay on course and you'll be fine.

You have not failed. Unless you are eating all sorts of crap and aren't trying, then you haven't failed at all.

Keep in mind if your expectations are to maintain losing a pound a day then your expectations are too high and are unrealistic therefore setting yourself up for unnecessary feelings of failure.

I easily gain three pounds during certain times of the month. Vigorous exercise or increased salt intake can help increase Water retention as well.

As long as your weight trends downwards over time, you are doing fine.

I think you should keep in mind that fluctuations happen, I just gained 5lbs from being sick (eating salty broth) if I didn't know what was going on I would go crazy. But its not a true gain of fat, it's Water retention. scales are not always the best measure of progress. That's why we have the NSV threads...

Just stay the course. The scale will play mind tricks on you as your body adjusts. Keep to the plan and look at your results month over month.

23 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Keep in mind if your expectations are to maintain losing a pound a day then your expectations are too high and are unrealistic therefore setting yourself up for unnecessary feelings of failure.

I easily gain three pounds during certain times of the month. Vigorous exercise or increased salt intake can help increase Water retention as well.

As long as your weight trends downwards over time, you are doing fine.

No, I have realistic expectations. I do not expect to lose a pound a day for a year, however I did expect to be successful. And if you re read my post I stated that for 3 weeks I didn't lose anything and was simply stating I finally felt successful when weight starting coming off. I am extremely frustrated that after 3 weeks of not losing any weight and such short time of actually losing that I have already gained. And since I do not have a weight tend I can't say it's been very successful.

23 hours ago, Matt Z said:

I wouldn't worry, have you started eating differently / transitioning to normal foods? If so, this will cause this. As long as you are tracking your intakes and you are consuming less calories than you are burning per day, AND you are getting PLENTY of Water (upwards of 128oz minimum) then you'll be fine. Fluctuations happen, stalls happen, gains happen. Just stay on course and you'll be fine.

You have not failed. Unless you are eating all sorts of crap and aren't trying, then you haven't failed at all.

I have tried increasing my Water, I know you've mentioned that before, I'm just having a hard time getting Fluid in at work. I get 60 in and then another 20 when I get home, but I'm having a hard time getting more than that.

I am sure I'm not being more calories than I eat though. I have a desk job so my only exercise is my nightly walk.

2 hours ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I do not expect to lose a pound a day for a year, however I did expect to be successful.

Did? Did expect to be successful?

You are only one month out from surgery. You will lose weight if you follow the program, do not let the scale dictate your mood or how you feel.

If you cannot differentiate between a temporary gain and an actual gain then take a break from the scale.

There will be times when you stall out, it is just part of the journey. I lost no weight almost the whole month of July, I understand how demoralizing it is, we all do.

I know some people are huge advocates of drinking tons of Water, but do your best. I’ve lost almost 150 pounds drinking what I can, some days 64 oz some days more. Some of us just can’t drink as much, just drink what you comfortably can.

Through it all, stay positive! I know for an absolute fact if you stick to your program in six months you will not believe the changes you see and feel!

:1296_raised_hands_tone2:

I weigh myselff naked first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I always follow this routine so my scale results aren’t skewed by other factors such as weight of clothes, time of day, or how much I eat or drink before getting on the scale. I also find that if I don’t have a bowel movement or have been constipated for a day or more that the scale may go up or not move. I find walking everyday helps keep me regular, which helps my weight on the scale.

Remember: post-bariatric surgery weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Edited by MarinaGirl

Ok, so what Protein Drinks are you taking in--what's the nutrition on them specifically prot, carbs, Fiber, sugar alcohols, and sugars?? Are you already eating Protein Bars? What puree/soft foods are you eating. Give us 1-2 days sample menus please.

Thanks!

(I personally gained TONS of Fluid in my ankles and left arm because my body doesn't tolerate an ALL-protein drink kind of diet even though my drinks were low carb. It wasn't until I was eating real meat Protein and veg that I really started losing anything significant.

Also are you tracking your measurements? Sometimes you'll see changes there

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so what Protein Drinks are you taking in--what's the nutrition on them specifically prot, carbs, Fiber, sugar alcohols, and sugars?? Are you already eating Protein Bars? What puree/soft foods are you eating. Give us 1-2 days sample menus please.

Thanks!

(I personally gained TONS of Fluid in my ankles and left arm because my body doesn't tolerate an ALL-protein drink kind of diet even though my drinks were low carb. It wasn't until I was eating real meat Protein and veg that I really started losing anything significant.

I drink Premier Protein 30G Protein 1 sugar, but today the dietitian said I am only to use the Protein Shakes if I am not getting enough by food. I am not on the soft/pureed diet anymore. I am on regular foods. Protein bars aren't allowed yet.

Prior to today I was having a Protein Shake in the morning. Usually 2 oz of chicken, Zucchini noodles, and string cheese for lunch. dinner I had 2 oz ground turkey 1/4 mashed potatoes and 1/4 riced broccoli

Breakfast was always a shake. Lunch the starkist chicken creations, 1/4 green Beans, 1/4 cottage cheese. Dinner shredded chicken, black beans, salsa.

9 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

I weigh myselff naked first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I always follow this routine so my scale results aren’t skewed by other factors such as weight of clothes, time of day, or how much I eat or drink before getting on the scale. I also find that if I don’t have a bowel movement or have been constipated for a day or more that the scale may go up or not move. I find walking everyday helps keep me regular, which helps my weight on the scale.

Remember: post-bariatric surgery weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Yes same here, first thing in the morning I put the scale away now, and I walk every day.

11 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Did? Did expect to be successful?

You are only one month out from surgery. You will lose weight if you follow the program, do not let the scale dictate your mood or how you feel.

If you cannot differentiate between a temporary gain and an actual gain then take a break from the scale.

There will be times when you stall out, it is just part of the journey. I lost no weight almost the whole month of July, I understand how demoralizing it is, we all do.

I know some people are huge advocates of drinking tons of Water, but do your best. I’ve lost almost 150 pounds drinking what I can, some days 64 oz some days more. Some of us just can’t drink as much, just drink what you comfortably can.

Through it all, stay positive! I know for an absolute fact if you stick to your program in six months you will not believe the changes you see and feel!

:1296_raised_hands_tone2:

Not to be rude, but people with metal health issues can't always control their mood or always be positive. I am here because this is suppose to be a supportive community not one who that dictates how to feel or states I have unrealistic expectations in one sentence then that I don't know how to differentiate between temporary and actual weight gain. What I said was how I feel, the frustration and depression not a lack of understanding or intelligence I thought that is what these forums are for. I apologize, but I have really found your posts hurtful.

Edited by Kaseyn2boys

Hey there, check the total sodium content for your days (if you log) and where you are in your cycle, these things do affect your weight because they cause Water retention.

Also Constipation is like a false gain. food (by oz) goes in but doesn't all get converted to energy and if nothing is coming out, but should be, it'll look like your up 1 or 2lbs until it's resolved.

Edited by GreenTealael

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

Hey there, check the total sodium content for your days ( if you log( and where you are in your cycle, these things do affect your weight because they cause Water retention.

Also Constipation is like a false gain. food (by oz) goes in but doesn't all get converted to energy and if nothing is coming out, but should be, it'll look like your up 1 or 2lbs until it's resolved.

Well not to be TMI, but I don't have a cycle. I will try and watch the sodium though. I haven't had issues with constipation yet.