Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manipulating the band, restriction

Please feel free to leave your comments. I saw someone post something about - hydration loosens restriction- or something like that.

Yesterday read a post of a bandster who got awfully restricted during an illness- flu,cold or something.

I have pneumonia and this week am so tight juice spews back up and I taste my antibiotic...which tells me it's coming back up, too.

So, logic says that since Fluid intake decreases when someone is sick (as it happens nothing is wanted) the band gets too tight.

I'm forcing fluids in...even if it comes up. Last night drank at the sink and just let it come out with every swallow. I'm sure something got down.

Anyone have suggestions or has this happened to them? (please don't say call the doc as I'm wanting to know from bandsters who all of a sudden got tight without a fill)

My theory is since it's TEMPORARY, an unfill will just have to be followed up with a fill the next week once the illness passses.

... My theory is since it's TEMPORARY, an unfill will just have to be followed up with a fill the next week once the illness passses.

This is true, but if you eat anything and it irritates your stomach, it'll make it worse, and if it goes on too long you could be dealing with malnutrition from not eating anything. If you are that tight for more than a day, I would say to call your doctor. I've never been so tight I couldn't keep liquids down, but if I was, I'd be in a panic...

I have just been through 4 days of being so tight that liquids won't go down, but i think this was due to stress. I have been this afternoon to see my Doc and he has taken everything out of my band and told me to rest it for 3 weeks.

Yours is a little different because you are ill, but it may stop you getting better, if your band is as tight as mine, (and the standing at the sink thing sounds familia) you need something done, You must be able to drink, cos if it tightens any more you choke on your own spit, can't sleep cos you can't lie down etc. horrible.

Mine has come out the blue, i have had my band on for 2 1/2 years, last fill was 2 years ago and for it to suddenly do this to me felt very strange, but the relief when it went back to normal was huge.

Thanks for the input, y'all. I had some success of drinking apple juice today...and 1 bite of a sandwich stayed down. But everything else came back up...or I should say didn't go down to begin with.

I feel much better and my band is starting to loosen. Trying to keep the fluids coming. I'm sure in a week all will be back to normal.

I would try some hot tea it always loosens the band up for me.

Please feel free to leave your comments. I saw someone post something about - hydration loosens restriction- or something like that.

Yesterday read a post of a bandster who got awfully restricted during an illness- flu,cold or something.

I have pneumonia and this week am so tight juice spews back up and I taste my antibiotic...which tells me it's coming back up, too.

So, logic says that since Fluid intake decreases when someone is sick (as it happens nothing is wanted) the band gets too tight.

I'm forcing fluids in...even if it comes up. Last night drank at the sink and just let it come out with every swallow. I'm sure something got down.

Anyone have suggestions or has this happened to them? (please don't say call the doc as I'm wanting to know from bandsters who all of a sudden got tight without a fill)

My theory is since it's TEMPORARY, an unfill will just have to be followed up with a fill the next week once the illness passses.

I have heard that warm liquids help folks loosen the band in the mornings...I know that when I have a cold or my allergies are acting up I am a lot tighter....I attributed it to the mucus, etc, running down my throat. (sorry TMI) :rolleyes: It's hard to know sometimes what is causing it....I did notice last summer on the really really hot days that I felt really tight and didn't want to eat anything as I had no appetite. It's wierd how things like stress, sickness, and atmosphere can affect our bands!

Hang in there!

Kim