Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I gonna die?? (Not really) but I screwed up

So I am almost 3 weeks postop from gastric sleeve. Tonight at our local touchdown club meeting, there was absolutely nothing I could eat except for some shredded cheese. They had some roast beef and I ate about an ounce of it chewing until it was basically mush. How bad did I screw up? It didn’t hurt going down it didn’t hurt in the stomach but I think I made a foolish decision.....

Time will tell, see how you're feeling... but why don't you bring your own foods to stay on plan when you know there is nothing available for you

Edited by GreenTealael

So I am almost 3 weeks postop from gastric sleeve. Tonight at our local touchdown club meeting, there was absolutely nothing I could eat except for some shredded cheese. They had some roast beef and I ate about an ounce of it chewing until it was basically mush. How bad did I screw up? It didn’t hurt going down it didn’t hurt in the stomach but I think I made a foolish decision.....
@rebchief fwiw I jumped ahead and started eating meat at 3 weeks because I just needed some real food. I just chewed it up really well and are a small portion. I didn't have any issues. But if course that's just my story.

No issues for me either. I started "real food" at 3 weeks.

Nahhh you’ll be fine. Eating Protein was the best thing you could do! ☺️☺️ Still never gets rid of my cravings though

My doc put me on full foods at 16 days post-op. I was on full liquids for 1 week, mushy food for 1 week and then full foods.

I'm not dead, so I doubt you'll die either!

You did great! You made a good choice. You chewed the heck out of it and your system said, “Great job!”

Sounds good to me. 3 weeks out and I would have done the same thing.

12 hours ago, glenna18 said:

My doc put me on full foods at 16 days post-op. I was on full liquids for 1 week, mushy food for 1 week and then full foods.

I'm not dead, so I doubt you'll die either!

Just seeing what you are doing, I had my surgery on 8-7-18,, I have lost 25lbs including pre op diet, I see you lost more, any suggestions?

It depends on so many factors. One of the biggest - what was your starting weight? The more weight you have to lose, the fast it comes off in the beginning.

Another factor - for me - what immediate diet changes can you make?

I made 3 drastic changes and a bunch of smaller changes. The drastic ones:

1) significantly reduce soda intake
2) significantly reduce alcohol. I had a full bar at home. I got rid of everything down the drain.
3) significantly reduce carbs. No more rice with my chinese food. Bye-bye Pasta. (although I've since found low carb, high Protein alternatives).

Other factors - how long were you on a pre-op diet? I lost 63 pounds from March 7th to August 14th. 45 pounds was due to dietary changes - and a lot of that was honestly pressure i put on myself because I didn't want to give my surgeon or my dietician any reasons to not sign off on my surgery.

I try to get my 10000 steps every day. I probably hit that 5-6 days a week.

And I certainly don't mean to be sexist by saying this, but men lose faster. Everything else being equal, men lose weight faster.

But - this isn't a race. This is unique in that the first 6-9 months post-op are supposed to be the easiest time to lose weight because of the lack of gherin so you'r just not 'as' hungry. While you definitely want to lose weight in the first 6-9 months post-op, you also want to really learn proper eating. Smaller portions. Better choices. Protein first. Low carbs. More veggies. Water is good. Sugary drinks are bad.

But most of all, talk to your doctor and dietician and follow their recommendations for food - and activity!

I have no idea what your starting weight was, how much you lost pre-op, and how much you've lost post-op, but 25 pounds lost on a 5'3" frame is still a big deal! It's hard not to compare your success to others (i do it too) but for today - focus on your success. 25 pounds lost so far is GREAT!