Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

50g: The most protein I've found in any drink so far

I've struggled with getting enough Protein since my surgery. I'm hoping to finally be able to get what my body needs.

I found this drink at Sprouts.

Brand: Shamrock Farms 19.7 fl oz (582ml), Rockin' Protein Builder Max Protein Shake, lactose-free, available in vanilla and chocolate. 50g of protein per bottle. Found in the dairy section, must be refrigerated.

I'm not a fan of vanilla or chocolate (wish they had coconut). Sprouts was out of chocolate, so I tried the vanilla. It tasted (to me) like melted vanilla ice cream. No horrible aftertaste either. Completely tolerable.

Glad you found something you like. :)

Legit question though, why this over say Muscle Milk Pro with the same Protein per oz or Premier Protein with near the same? And just drink 2?

I was told the body can only handle 30 g of Protein per hour? Anything more is just wasted.

That's a lot bigger than most drinks, that might be the only reason why it has so much Protein.

I ended up drinking less than half a cup. I thought this would be the answer to my problem. It wasn't. Protein by way of drink just doesn't work for me. Back to square one.

3 hours ago, Coachthex32 said:

I was told the body can only handle 30 g of Protein per hour? Anything more is just wasted.

Do you have a link to a study or a scientific reference to support this statement? (I'm not being sarcastic; I'm just curious if it's documented.)

On 09/10/2018 at 21:42, Coachthex32 said:

I’ve heard this too, but don’t know whether it’s legit. I’ll talk to my doctor sister and see what she says :)

8 hours ago, Coachthex32 said:

This is the biggest myth going around with Protein, it's false and there is plenty of information online about why it's false.

Info here including links to study's showing the absorption cap is a myth.
https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-truth-about-protein-absorption-how-often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/

Thanks. The place I had my surgery cautioned us against high Protein Shakes. I’ll bring this up at the next appointment.

12 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I've struggled with getting enough Protein since my surgery. I'm hoping to finally be able to get what my body needs.

I found this drink at Sprouts.

Brand: Shamrock Farms 19.7 fl oz (582ml), Rockin' Protein Builder Max Protein Shake, lactose-free, available in vanilla and chocolate. 50g of protein per bottle. Found in the dairy section, must be refrigerated.

I'm not a fan of vanilla or chocolate (wish they had coconut). Sprouts was out of chocolate, so I tried the vanilla. It tasted (to me) like melted vanilla ice cream. No horrible aftertaste either. Completely tolerable.

I don't see whey protein isolate as a main ingredient. It shows milk protein concentrate (is that the same thing?) I also see corn starch as one of the sugars added. the serving size in 1 cup which only provides 20G of protein where the whole bottle offers 50g. It sounds interesting, but I think for myself, I'd check with my NUT and see if it's an acceptable product.

BUILDER_MAX_CHOC-Nutritional.jpg

42 minutes ago, MargoCL said:

I don't see whey Protein isolate as a main ingredient. It shows milk protein concentrate (is that the same thing?) I also see corn starch as one of the sugars added. the serving size in 1 cup which only provides 20G of protein where the whole bottle offers 50g. It sounds interesting, but I think for myself, I'd check with my NUT and see if it's an acceptable product.

whey isolate and Milk Protein Concentrate are not the same, not exactly. They are both derived from milk, just the process is different. Whey Isolate as most or all of the lactose removed from it, Concentrates do not.

I didn't think they were the same. But I also wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for clarifying

1 hour ago, MargoCL said:

but I think for myself, I'd check with my NUT and see if it's an acceptable product.

Just curious, but do you have any reason to suspect this wouldn't be allowed on your program?

They were adamant about whey Protein isolate when it came to the shakes. But personally, I'm more concerned with the corn Fiber and corn starch. I try to avoid corn starch.

3 minutes ago, MargoCL said:

They were adamant about whey Protein isolate when it came to the shakes. But personally, I'm more concerned with the corn Fiber and corn starch. I try to avoid corn starch.

Interesting, I'd be screwed considering I'm intolerant of whey Protein. Corn starch is less then 1% of the ingredients, so unless you have an allergy, I can't imagine it matters much.