Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tried a diet coke today...

1 hour ago, insta_adventurer said:

I realize this thread has gotten hijacked. @BuzzVSG, it sounds like you’ve gotten to a place with your surgery that the occasional treat or splurge isn’t going to set you back.. so congrats!

Agreed. I think that, so long as it doesn't physically make you uncomfortable, ect. then there is nothing wrong with a jack and diet once in a while. Cheers to you BuzzVSG.

Thank you everyone for your insight. It is very much appreciated. I was a little harsh on Screwballski and I apologized to her. So all peace and harmony in the VSG realm.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:03 PM, BuzzVSG said:

Even though it is ingrained in our brain that carbonation is the devil, I tailgated today with some friends and had a diet coke and some Jack Daniels. I poured a little bit of the soda in a cup to sip to see if there were any adverse effects, I didn't have any. I nursed that drink over the course of an hour and was ok, nothing happened. I almost feel guilty for doing it. I am about six months post of and one pound away from my personal goal. I kind of am still scared of food but I am trying to overcome that.

As long as it wasn't for the Patriots or Packers you're forgiven ;)

22 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

2. Practice mindful eating: sit, chew, and breathe with your food!

Actually look at it. Taste it. Smell it. Use your senses! Appreciate what is on the plate. This way your brain will signal "satiety" and you'll be less likely to overeat.

One of the best pieces of advice for those of us who are fast eaters or rush through our meals. After WLS it's best to eat slowly, enjoy each bite and give your brain time to catch up to your stomach. Prior to WLS it was a race to see how much I could eat in the shortest amount of time, take a deep breath and continue. Today it's mindful eating, taking small bites and enjoying each one for a longer period of time.

I stopped all carbonated beverages pre op on the advice of my nutritionist. I don't miss them and I substitute them with plain Water or a sugar free mix like Crystal Light.I continued it after WLS because It's just a preference of mine. I associate the diet soda with my past eating habits. I would go into a restaurant order a cheeseburger deluxe and a dessert and say it was ok because I'm washing it down with a diet soda. One less trigger food or drink in my recovery from compulsive eating is a good thing for me.

We had a mindful eating presentation during my pre-op classes. It was done with a hershey's kiss and it was mind boggling how one small kiss would change my outlook on eating.

15 hours ago, Separ1418 said:

If you make the claim, you need to provide the evidence. That's how logic works.

Oh, gee, so sorry. I didn't realize class had begun. I thought this was a forum and I was on my free time.

09/13/2018 01:16 PM, BuzzVSG said:

Thank you everyone for your insight. It is very much appreciated. I was a little harsh on Screwballski and I apologized to her. So all peace and harmony in the VSG realm.

Likewise, BuzzVSG and I have had a very nice conversation. I was snarky with him. I've apologized to him.

Nice how a couple of you folks ganged up on me just because I didn't have the same opinion you did. Lovely atmosphere you provide.

15 hours ago, insta_adventurer said:

Ohhh I loved me a flavored seltzer Water before surgery!!! Maybe it’s a regional thing here in the states, but they are pretty popular thing in the north east.

Going on Ash’s point that it’s difficult to find carbonated beverages that aren’t soda at quick stop locations.. it’s also really difficult to find drinks that are low or no calorie at such places. Your option is basically water.. or if you’re lucky Vitamin Water zero or Powerade zero. Every tea option is usually loaded in sugar. The same goes with any Protein Drink that they may have.

I realize this thread has gotten hijacked. @BuzzVSG, it sounds like you’ve gotten to a place with your surgery that the occasional treat or splurge isn’t going to set you back.. so congrats!

I do think it’s important that we give ourselves small concessions like this, because this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a prison sentence. I hope that once I get to maintenance, I’m able to balance my diet well enough to occasionally enjoy the things I gave up for surgery.

We sure do love our Seltzer!

Why the drama people.

Edited by AJP

12 hours ago, Screwballski said:

Likewise, BuzzVSG and I have had a very nice conversation. I was snarky with him. I've apologized to him.

Nice how a couple of you folks ganged up on me just because I didn't have the same opinion you did. Lovely atmosphere you provide.

I think people came for you because you were rude. No one said you couldn't have your own opinion, you just have to face consequences when you are rude. That's life.

On 13. September 2018 at 1:37 PM, Separ1418 said:

If you make the claim, you need to provide the evidence. That's how logic works.

People don't need to provide anything on an internet board. They can make a claim and that's it. It's your choice if you believe them or not.

Of course I prefer getting the source of the claim delivered for free as well, but I don't expect it and I certainly don't demand it. I've read articles about artificial sweeteners as well and decided that I don't want to ingest cyclamate or aspartame. I also don't want to follow the diet so many users on here seem to follow - because I think it's a disease promoting diet and that there's more to nutrition than "lean animal protein", "drink your water" and "take your Vitamins and minerals".

There it is - I have made a claim and I'm too lazy to search again for stuff I've read e. g. months ago in books, journals or in various single papers.

Do I care if you believe me? TBH, not really. We're all grown ups here. If you're interested in the topic - do your own research. BTW, I would do my own research anyway because people tend to post only the sources that back up their claim (I'm not an exception to that of course) so screaming for "evidence" might be a more or less effective strategy to shut up your opponent in a discussion but it doesn't really serve your own decision making.

5 hours ago, summerset said:

People don't need to provide anything on an internet board. They can make a claim and that's it. It's your choice if you believe them or not.

Of course I prefer getting the source of the claim delivered for free as well, but I don't expect it and I certainly don't demand it. I've read articles about artificial sweeteners as well and decided that I don't want to ingest cyclamate or aspartame. I also don't want to follow the diet so many users on here seem to follow - because I think it's a disease promoting diet and that there's more to nutrition than "lean animal protein", "drink your water" and "take your Vitamins and minerals".

There it is - I have made a claim and I'm too lazy to search again for stuff I've read e. g. months ago in books, journals or in various single papers.

Do I care if you believe me? TBH, not really. We're all grown ups here. If you're interested in the topic - do your own research. BTW, I would do my own research anyway because people tend to post only the sources that back up their claim (I'm not an exception to that of course) so screaming for "evidence" might be a more or less effective strategy to shut up your opponent in a discussion but it doesn't really serve your own decision making.

You're wrong here's why - and by claiming i'm somehow lazy to ask for evidence of a claim is wrong. Asking your opponent to prove YOUR claim is a very ineffective strategy to win a debate or to shut up an "opponent"