Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tried a diet coke today...

1 hour ago, Darci kendall said:

Soda will stretch your new Stomach

It's not that it will "stretch your new stomach" it's that it goes down easily allowing you to consume more food. And this only happens if you drink during meals (and honestly if you do that it doesn't matter if it's carbonated or a flat beverage).

@BuzzVSG, glad you were able to enjoy that J&C. Congratulations on being so close to goal. Keep up the great work!

I gave up sodas many years ago, but I can't say that I haven't indulge in one or two over those years (BF would say that since he's known me I probably have drank 100 over the course of our relationship - 3 years... LOL).

From a surgery standpoint, I won't drink it now just because I'm soon post op, but I will say when I feel cruddy, there is nothing better than a seagrams ginger ale. And I suspect in the future should I feel that way, I will reach out to old faithful.

2 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

I obviously haven’t had a carbonated beverage since surgery. I find I miss the caffeine of soda more than the carbonation.

That said, I did try drinking with a straw once and felt extremely bloated from it- so I have a feeling carbonation wouldn’t feel great either.

But, as evidenced in this thread, YMMV on discomfort, but I disagree that a carbonated beverage would be enough pressure to permanently stretch a stomach. No two pouches or sleeves or bodies will be the same, but I’d imagine it would take a lot of pressure repeatedly to stretch anything out.

You make 2 really good points.

The first is that drinking from a straw made you feel uncomfortable. Obviously, if you have discomfort from anything, whether it be carbonation, a straw, or anything, we should listen to our bodies and avoid those things.

The second is I agree, I read a lot a lot a lot about carbonation and stretching our pouches. I don't think the science is there. Like my friend @sillykitty has said before in prior threads. Our stomachs are designed to break down a wide variety of different foods. I don't think that carbonation is going to damage our pouches. Just my opinion... again...if there was zero discomfort, ect.

Another thing, follow your programs ladies and gents.

To me, this post is less about the diet coke and more about the deep seated fear and guilt associated with consuming certain foods and beverages, as described in your finishing sentiment "I kind of am still scared of food but I am trying to overcome that."

Where is this guilt rooted? Why do we have such damaging relationships with food? In my experience, both pre and post op, I've been plagued with thoughts of "why couldn't I just have one" or "I shouldn't have let myself eat that." There are so many layers to the issue that need to be peeled back and examined: prior trauma with weight issues, Dr.'s orders, cultural norms.

Consider reading this article that I found helpful and uplifting discussing how you can rebuild your relationship with food. It might help you feel less afraid the next time you decide to pick up a diet coke, or anything else you might want to enjoy.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8258/11-steps-to-rebuild-your-relationship-with-food.html

Congratulations on meeting your goal!

Just a quick question: after reading this thread I thought once again that users on here seem to associate "carbonation" automatically with either "soda" or "diet soda".

I think that most users on here seem to be US Americans. I'm curious because in Germany bubbling Water is a big thing. You can buy a really big variety of brands of bottled water and many brands come in "no carbonation", "medium carbonation" and "usual carbonation".

Aren't US Americans simply not into carbonated water?

1 minute ago, summerset said:

Just a quick question: after reading this thread I thought once again that users on here seem to associate "carbonation" automatically with either "soda" or "diet soda".

I think that most users on here seem to be US Americans. I'm curious because in Germany bubbling Water is a big thing. You can buy a really big variety of brands of bottled Water and many brands come in "no carbonation", "medium carbonation" and "usual carbonation".

Aren't US Americans simply not into carbonated water?

Most Americans are into "soda," most of the other carbonated beverages are not as popular here. Although popularity is rising as sugar free alternative carbonated beverages are becoming the "in thing" - My family lives in Hungary and there too carbonated water is very popular. I always have to ask for non-sparkling water.

18 minutes ago, summerset said:

Aren't US Americans simply not into carbonated Water?

We have carbonated water, but not as popular as a choice. I feel like you can't even find carbonated water as a choice in most gas stations, convenient stores, or restaurants. You'd have to buy it at the grocery store.

Only carbonated Water is good work is alcohol lol. I'm wasn't a big sofa drinker before surgery. Maybe once a week if at all but I really miss my southern sweet tea!!!!

1 hour ago, hap314ness said:

To me, this post is less about the diet coke and more about the deep seated fear and guilt associated with consuming certain foods and beverages, as described in your finishing sentiment "I kind of am still scared of food but I am trying to overcome that."

Where is this guilt rooted? Why do we have such damaging relationships with food? In my experience, both pre and post op, I've been plagued with thoughts of "why couldn't I just have one" or "I shouldn't have let myself eat that." There are so many layers to the issue that need to be peeled back and examined: prior trauma with weight issues, Dr.'s orders, cultural norms.

Consider reading this article that I found helpful and uplifting discussing how you can rebuild your relationship with food. It might help you feel less afraid the next time you decide to pick up a diet coke, or anything else you might want to enjoy.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8258/11-steps-to-rebuild-your-relationship-with-food.html

Congratulations on meeting your goal!

I am scared of food in a general sense because I do not want to go back to who I was a year ago pre-sleeved. Yes, I did have an unhealthy relationship with food. I am not one of those people that thinks that surgery is the be all end all fix to losing weight. I have been somewhat regimented on my post op journey and it certainly has yielded results. My doctor said I would hit my goal within six months and he was right. I have no problems eating in moderation or until full, but I am weary of having certain foods that I would eat in excess when I was heavy such as Pasta, rice, etc. Soda was also a big staple in my old unhealthy life.

10 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

We have carbonated Water, but not as popular as a choice. I feel like you can't even find carbonated water as a choice in most gas stations, convenient stores, or restaurants. You'd have to buy it at the grocery store.

Wow, "bottled water" is the most popular/most sold cold beverage in Germany by far (according to statistics).

6 minutes ago, BuzzVSG said:

I am scared of food in a general sense because I do not want to go back to who I was a year ago pre-sleeved.

---

I kind of am still scared of food but I am trying to overcome that.

So your dilemma is that on the one hand you want to overcome your fear of food but on the other hand you're using your fear of food as a strategy to control your weight and food intake?

17 minutes ago, summerset said:

Wow, "bottled water" is the most popular/most sold cold beverage in Germany by far (according to statistics).

Tons of bottled Water sold, but only a super small amount is carbonated. Only in fine dining, or a very European style restaurant do you have the choice of still or carbonated water.

What is becoming huge, is lightly flavored sparkling water, like La Croix.

https://www.lacroixwater.com/flavors/

Edited by sillykitty