Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious second thoughts - surgery in 24 hours!

So I was reading an post yesterday and now I am having serious second thoughts. I may not even show up tomorrow to surgery.

The post was about Reactive Hypoglycemia, a side effect to bypass that can develop 2 the 10 years post bypass. In the post, the patient had symptoms 1 to 2 times a year at first and now is having them 2 to 5 times a week. Patient occasionally passes out because of it.

When I had my sleeve six years ago I had experienced those symptoms and I just thought it was because I forgot to eat. It was a weird feeling of dizziness, confusion, and I was with a client at the time and I nearly passed out. It scared the crap out of me.

I started doing research online and discovered an article from 2017 that identified that this is happening to 1/3 of bypass patients and is not something that is discussed typically with there doctor. Reactive hypoglycemia may be related to dumping syndrome but can be far more dangerous.

In extreme cases the bypass needs to be reversed to fix the problem which brings me to my fear. In my case they will not be able to reverse my bypass after I have it as they are removing the stomach because the polyps I developed taking PPIs for Gerd.

So now my challenges is do I live with Gerd and run the risk of getting Barrett’s syndrome and Possible esophageal cancer or do I have a bypass and run the risk of getting reactive hyperglycemia ?

Thoughts anyone?

3 hours ago, E-girl said:

So I was reading an post yesterday and now I am having serious second thoughts. I may not even show up tomorrow to surgery.

The post was about Reactive Hypoglycemia, a side effect to bypass that can develop 2 the 10 years post bypass. In the post, the patient had symptoms 1 to 2 times a year at first and now is having them 2 to 5 times a week. Patient occasionally passes out because of it.

When I had my sleeve six years ago I had experienced those symptoms and I just thought it was because I forgot to eat. It was a weird feeling of dizziness, confusion, and I was with a client at the time and I nearly passed out. It scared the crap out of me.

I started doing research online and discovered an article from 2017 that identified that this is happening to 1/3 of bypass patients and is not something that is discussed typically with there doctor. Reactive hypoglycemia may be related to dumping syndrome but can be far more dangerous.

In extreme cases the bypass needs to be reversed to fix the problem which brings me to my fear. In my case they will not be able to reverse my bypass after I have it as they are removing the stomach because the polyps I developed taking PPIs for Gerd.

So now my challenges is do I live with Gerd and run the risk of getting Barrett’s syndrome and Possible esophageal cancer or do I have a bypass and run the risk of getting reactive hyperglycemia ?

Thoughts anyone?

Here is where you weigh out the risks. I bet the risk of getting reactive hyperglycemia is a lot lower than the risk of weight related heart issues, diabetes, knee and back issues... etc etc etc. So, weigh out the risks and make the call. Personally, some ultra rare issue that almost no one experiences... isn't enough of a risk to outweigh all the things that WILL happen if one continues to be overweight.

We had one individual in our support group that developed reactive hypoglycemia after gastric bypass surgery. He even fainted. As a result he looked into the condition and found that he could easily control it with his eating habits and by being sensing the pretriggers to the condition. So it did not really bother him except for the first time it happened.

The figure you cited "happening to 1/3 of bypass patients" seems overly high. I would not give it much weight. But since you experienced this condition before, it might be more of a concern in your individual case.

It is your decision, but if it were me I would eliminate the Gerd by gastric bypass and be hyper-vigilent about monitoring the potential for reactive hypoglycemia and using dietary means to control it should it arise.

I agree with what James said above.

What/where is the article where you found the information? You state in extreme cases the bypass needs to be reversed. Why assume you would develop this, and further assume your case would be severe enough to warrant a reversal?

Secondary to that, I don’t live my life by the what ifs.

14 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I don’t live my life by the what ifs.

This. This is gold.

The science does not support that high of stats on reactive hypoglycaemia in bypass patients.

It seems in your case, you did not continue to have it with the sleeve, but now need the rny to combat something causing you daily pain and a definite issue. I would go with fixing the current known issue.

Thanks everyone. I think I was just freaking out because I am scared and don’t really have someone to talk to about it. People are used to me listening to all their problems and getting advise or just venting their feelings but when it comes to me and mine, they don’t have the time. This whole thing has really open my eyes to who my friends really are.

Anyways, I am going to do it. Today is the day. Not looking forward to the next couple of days because I remember the pain from last time but I am looking forward to my skinny jeans. 😃

Good luck on your surgery and check back with us when you are on the other side and let us know how the operation went. We are here to help you through the process.

On 09/10/2018 at 04:10, E-girl said:

Thanks everyone. I think I was just freaking out because I am scared and don’t really have someone to talk to about it. People are used to me listening to all their problems and getting advise or just venting their feelings but when it comes to me and mine, they don’t have the time. This whole thing has really open my eyes to who my friends really are.

Anyways, I am going to do it. Today is the day. Not looking forward to the next couple of days because I remember the pain from last time but I am looking forward to my skinny jeans. 😃
Good luck! I remember panicking in the days leading up to surgery... but I’m so glad I did it!