Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling resentful, missing my favorite foods

21 hours ago, rs said:

3.5 weeks post surgery. Went to our state fair tonight and was really sad that I couldn't eat any of the food I love having at fairs. I really wanted a corn dog, and cotton candy, and funnel cake, and alcohol, and, and, and.... We didn't stay long because I was sad plus I still haven't returned to full energy levels since the surgery. Just feeling down and wanted to share.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I got really depressed after my surgery in May. I was basically "breaking up" with food. I understood how things would be before I had my surgery but I didn't fully realize it until I actually had the surgery. You don't really realize how much of life revolves around food. I was MAD that I couldn't eat what I wanted even though I knew the benefits of the surgery and all that. It also didn't help that everything I put in my sleeve hurt and I felt like I'd never eat normally again. As you heal, it will get better and you will be able to have your favorite foods again - just in moderation and with mindfulness. Everyone is different, but for me 8 weeks out was the turning point. I started to feel normal again and now at 4 months out I'm so happy I did it. These moments of depression and sadness are normal. Just keep your eye on the prize and realize you will be able to enjoy food again!

1 hour ago, t1018ross said:
I totally understand where you're coming from. I got really depressed after my surgery in May. I was basically "breaking up" with food. I understood how things would be before I had my surgery but I didn't fully realize it until I actually had the surgery. You don't really realize how much of life revolves around food. I was MAD that I couldn't eat what I wanted even though I knew the benefits of the surgery and all that. It also didn't help that everything I put in my sleeve hurt and I felt like I'd never eat normally again. As you heal, it will get better and you will be able to have your favorite foods again - just in moderation and with mindfulness. Everyone is different, but for me 8 weeks out was the turning point. I started to feel normal again and now at 4 months out I'm so happy I did it. These moments of depression and sadness are normal. Just keep your eye on the prize and realize you will be able to enjoy food again!

@t1018ross thank you. I sure hope things turn around soon-ish.

Edited by rs

39 minutes ago, Lynn Cannon said:
I feel for you. So glad you didn’t give in. You are amazing. I’m 2.5 weeks post op and am feeling like all I’ll ever be able to eat is cream of wheat, mushroom Soup and Protein shakes.....

@Lynn Cannon thank you. I'm trying to remind myself that many many people have bee successful in this journey with similar struggles so I suppose I can get there too.

Edited by rs

12 hours ago, fluffy562 said:

today has been hard for me... for some reason I question will I ever get to enjoy going out again or being able to make dinner for the whole family and eat with them? guess I'm in a funk

Why would you not be able to enjoy going out again? It's actually one of the many things I'm am looking forward to. My boyfriend and I used to share meals and then one day we stopped. I look forward to the day when we can go out to eat multiple times a month for the same price as going out to eat once or twice because we can share a meal.

Also, why are you not enjoying making dinner for the family? It's a true pleasure of mine to cook / bake and the fact that I can't overly indulge in everything they can doesn't bother me, because I know that in time I'll be able to enjoy the same meal again but in much smaller portions. Being left out bothers me, I'd rather sit at the dinner table with my family and sip my Soup (or whatever) then not be there to watch them enjoying a family meal without me.

I was reminded last night that I need to cut my cooking portions because my intake is severely less than the others and I can't expect them to "always" eat the leftovers for days beyond days because my intake is so much smaller. I thought about it and agreed, I was still cooking like I could eat a full meal when in fact I now eat 1/4 if not less than the servings that I ate prior to. so my portion is a 4-day portion now. I don't mind leftovers, but I don't want the same meal for 4-days either.

I totally know how you feel. It's like a bad break-up. You didn't want to do it but it's what's best for both of you. I drive past restaurants like we shared a love and I miss the food in there. People say it gets better but I don't know. Hang in there.

today has been hard for me... for some reason I question will I ever get to enjoy going out again or being able to make dinner for the whole family and eat with them? guess I'm in a funk
@fluffy562 I understand. I'm really struggling with all this.

I totally know how you feel. It's like a bad break-up. You didn't want to do it but it's what's best for both of you. I drive past restaurants like we shared a love and I miss the food in there. People say it gets better but I don't know. Hang in there.
@tippy canoe hobbitt good analogy about the breakup. I'm trying to trust that the surgery vets are right in saying it gets better because right now I'm feeling pretty down.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:08 AM, rs said:

3.5 weeks post surgery. Went to our state fair tonight and was really sad that I couldn't eat any of the food I love having at fairs. I really wanted a corn dog, and cotton candy, and funnel cake, and alcohol, and, and, and.... We didn't stay long because I was sad plus I still haven't returned to full energy levels since the surgery. Just feeling down and wanted to share.

You will once again be able to enjoy these treats, but trust the process and commit to the change. You will see that these things are not as important to you as you think they are... Wait until your in a dressing room at a normal store buying off the shelf clothing or better yet ordering online and knowing its gonna fit...

I guarantee you its all worth it! Avoid the temptations on weak days and enjoy yourself when your in control we only get one chance to live.

You will once again be able to enjoy these treats, but trust the process and commit to the change. You will see that these things are not as important to you as you think they are... Wait until your in a dressing room at a normal store buying off the shelf clothing or better yet ordering online and knowing its gonna fit...
I guarantee you its all worth it! Avoid the temptations on weak days and enjoy yourself when your in control we only get one chance to live.
@aasosa I'm trying. Thank you.

1 minute ago, rs said:
3 minutes ago, AASosa said:

@aasosa I'm trying. Thank you.

Of all places to share this is probably the best as we all know what were going through. The first couple of weeks our minds are a$sholes lol avoid the comfort foods and drink your fluids to kill the cravings. I found low-fat low calorie chocolate Ice pops really helped me get over my sweet tooth and made me feel normal for a few minutes lol dumb I know but anything helps.

Of all places to share this is probably the best as we all know what were going through. The first couple of weeks our minds are a$sholes lol avoid the comfort foods and drink your fluids to kill the cravings. I found low-fat low calorie chocolate Ice pops really helped me get over my sweet tooth and made me feel normal for a few minutes lol dumb I know but anything helps.

@aasosa thank you again. I really need the support right now.

We always mourn something we used to love and had to give up. Your feelings are valid but thank goodness will pass. I’m four weeks out and I have discovered a strange new energy for cooking all kinds of decadent foods for my family!!! So weird. It’s like I get joy from them being able to have things I can’t. Some recipes have been healthy but lots of delicious things that I won’t tempt any of you with. I’m really looking forward to six months out. Seems like everyone is mostly happy by that point. Keep moving forward!! You’re doing great.

I went to two county fairs and I brought my own food. Went so my Grandson and other family members could enjoy it. I did take a bite of a hand rolled pretzel otherwise I stuck to the food choices I brought with me.

I completely understand how you feel. I was lucky in that my surgeon's office forced you to adapt to the post surgery lifestyle prior to surgery. So many of my favorite foods and large portions were already gone. With that said, there has been plenty of stuff I have craved and missed. But it really does get easier. I'm three months out this coming Thursday and you do have to accept that you should never eat some of the foods you ate before. (Well at least not the volumes and not all in the same day.) Try to focus on the fact that in time you can have 2-3 bites of a favorite food you miss and you will really enjoy it. I've totally done that. Now it's just the exception and takes planning and a lot of mindfulness. I can tell you that nothing I miss food-wise compares to how great I feel with 73 lbs. gone. You can do this!! Just focus on the end game--reaching your goal and getting healthy. The only way to get there is to fill your body with healthy food and follow your food plan from your surgeon. Best wishes! :)