Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we talk about staying hydrated?

I would love to hear people’s experiences with how they stay hydrated. Is it really as hard as it sounds? How do you do it? Are you ok if you just sip Water all day like my doctor says, or is it still a challenge? Getting sleeved in 2 months and appreciate any insights!

I been drinking 64 oz +/- most days starting around my 2nd week post op. My doc has us come in 2 days after surgery for IV therapy. For whatever reason after I got home from IV therapy, I was able to drink more than a "sip". As far as getting in my 64 oz, that's always been a challenge for me.

I would love to hear people’s experiences with how they stay hydrated. Is it really as hard as it sounds? How do you do it? Are you ok if you just sip Water all day like my doctor says, or is it still a challenge? Getting sleeved in 2 months and appreciate any insights!
3.5 weeks post surgery and have yet to reach the Water goal. My new stomach just isn't interested in taking that much in. Of course I'm still trying. So I can't offer any advice. Just wanted to acknowledge your post [emoji4]

I am almost 4 weeks out from surgery and never hit my Protein or Water intake goals. I try hard but just can not do it. Have had it get fluids once but hoping to not do that again.

Early on it's harder but setting reminders and goals make it possible. All fluids count toward your hydration goal but Water is superior and essential so you need the majority of it to be pure additive free water. I found drinking hot items like tea, coffee even broth went quicker than pure water making it easier to real the goal.

I'm currently 10 months out and can drink like before surgery.

Hi all. Suger-free popsicles and ice have helped me keep hydrated. I'm 3 weeks post op and it does get difficult because you are so limited on how much your new tummy can take. What also helped was I got some of those 2 oz shot glasses that look like the red solo cups and if you drink one of those every 30 mins you can get your fluids in. Make sugar free popsicles and ice your new besties...lol. Also be prepared to be an emotional wreck. You will hear people say they have or had buyers remorse. Which your bariatric team doesn't mention. I had a major meltdown the first week I was home and was telling my husband why did I do this. Just be patient and take it one day at a time and you will get through this. Good luck to you.

I am almost 4 weeks out from surgery and never hit my Protein or Water intake goals. I try hard but just can not do it. Have had it get fluids once but hoping to not do that again.
I had to get IV fluids too one week after surgery. I'm trying hard not to have to do that again.

Thank you all so much for your insights. As always, I appreciate them.

Everyone's different. I met my Protein and fluid goals 2 days post-op and have exceeded them both every day since. From what I understand it is easier for men though. But still everyone is different.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:20 PM, Browngirls21 said:

I am experiencing the same thing. I had my surgery Aug. 3rd

I was sleeved on June 13th so my three month mark is this week and I still struggle to meet my goal of 64 oz. of Water or calorie free Fluid a day. It's incredibly frustrating. I find I'm thirsty most of the time and just can't seem to ever quench it. Prior to surgery I guzzled water (16 oz. at a time) and really miss being able to do that now. Everyday I'm closer to 48 oz. than 64. I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast on tons of ice and finish all of that, I also carry a 24 oz. bottle of ice water most everywhere and bring another 24 oz. bottle with crystal light lemonade to work. But for some reason it is a constant battle to drink. I get nauseous if I sip too much and forget until I'm really thirsty.

Aside from this issue, I feel great and am very glad I had the surgery.

Popsicles

Powerade zero

watermelon

Water

just mix it up so it doesn’t stay so boring

It is hard because a lot of the time you are not thirsty. Then when you are thirsty you can only drink so little! I only had 24fl oz today! Bad bad! I have to force myself. I have never been a drinker though! I have to start drinking my Protein Shakes again to get Protein and liquids in. It was bad right after surgery. It hurt to drink; therefore, I barely drank. I then became dehydrated and almost passed out twice. Just force it really. Luckily 3.5 weeks out drinking does not hurt ☺️ Still find drinking lame though

I can get in my Water OR my Protein at 8 days post op. Water isn’t tough for me as of two days ago, and I’ve focused on it over protein because someone told me “you won’t end up in the hospital the first few weeks post op for being low on protein but you will quickly if you’re dehydrated”.... plus the risk of blood clots