Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teriffying experience blockage of food

Hi

I feel like crying... today I had my first experience with blockage of food in my esophagus.
It felt like I was about to have a heart attack or something , I was on the verge of passing out.
Stupid me thinking I would push it down with some yogurt since you can’t drink.. I made it worse.

My heart was palpating really fast , I was getting dizzy , I was shaking on my feet until I put a finger in my mouth and vomit most of it out... what came out was a weird thick slimey substance

I had left over tilapia fish from yesterday which was dry. I knew before hand it would be a risk of me eating it cuz of the dryness but here I am , still eating it.

2 bites and I went through hell.
I’m 3 weeks and 4 days post op.

I still feel something blocking but I’m drinking water....

Food is my enemy. Before the surgery it was my enemy and i abused it made myself morbidly obese and now after surgery It feels like it tries to kill me.

I know I’m super emotional.

I never experienced being thin and care free, seeing people who are thin and care free of what they eat makes me so jealous and makes me feel so low. I have to watch out for the rest of my life of the stuff I put in my mouth. Life is unfair but we deal with it.

This by far worse than dumping syndrome. I have learned my lesson. No more tilapia fish for me for awhile.

Thanks for reading xoxo

Breathe.

You’re ok.

Yes the slimies are gross

Don’t eat dry fish and slow down your eating

It gets easier :)

Hang in there xo

Yes relax,

Try and let food be just food now, with no control over you.

Try to eat most things very moist and don't take unnecessary chances.

Try to let go of those negative thoughts about the past and concentrate on the present and future

Edited by GreenTealael

Thank y’all for commenting. I’m still experiencing blockage , I vomited again. I had a bit of chicken and carrots and it got stuck again.

I think I need to pay a visit to the hospital.

Yogurt and fruits goes in good. Even cheese.

I was told after an episode like this go back to liquids only for 48 hours. You are surely inflamed and swollen so give it a rest. Most have gone through this and you will be OK - sorry for your pain😔😔😔

I had this same thing happen to me when I ate left over fish. The pain was excruciating for 6 hours. I called doctors and she told me to drink meat tenderizer in warm Water. It took a while but if finally worked and I felt it pass. My blockage was in my stomach. The docto said sometimes when you microwave food I changed the consistency of the food. I totally understand how you feel, it was the worse pain ever .

I am pre-surgery but my plan doesn't have "real" food for 8 weeks - purreed and soft foods only for at least the last six weeks. Maybe you are on solid food too soon?

On 9/8/2018 at 2:32 PM, E.S said:

Stupid me thinking I would push it down with some yogurt since you can’t drink.. I made it worse.

In this situation, you can drink to clear it. They tell you not to drink while eating as to not force the food through or cause any expansion, but in a situation like this... you can drink to clear the blockage.

My bigger question is, why are you eating real foods only 3 weeks out of surgery? Most folks are on puree's for a full month before moving over to soft solids, then normal foods.

Edited by Matt Z

I didnt realise that getting stuck was an issue with a bypass, I thought those were band type problems. I obviously have lots to learn!

I would say from what I do know though that eating what you did at this stage seems way ahead of schedule. Its never a good idea to do that as you can cause damage

My surgeon,told ME I could handle Stage 3 , ha ha. When he was creating Precious Pouch, he should have installed a teeny set of earphones on her because they are not,on the same wave length. I am chugging on Stage 2, not retrying until October 1st. Not like the world will run out if brothers and puree before then.

broth, brothers I couldn't say, I was an only child,never got issued a brother or sister.😥

You should not be eating solid food at 3 weeks. You should still be on full liquid until week 4. Then soft pudding type food for 2 weeks then some very soft chewed up food.

Hello there,

I think everyone's surgeons do the post diet differently. I was only on liquids for 2 weeks THANK GOD! Then for about the next 6 weeks was on a soft diet. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese this type of consistency and foods loaded with Protein. Remember to chew, chew, and then chew again as this will help and make sure you go slow.

I agree you need to make absolutely sure your physician knows of these type of issues that you are having,

Hope all goes well!

Slimies/foamies usually occur when you’ve taken too big a bite, not chewed your food up enough, or eaten too fast; user/patient error. As well, some food is hard to eat for many months post-GB. Take it slow & easy, and be patient with yourself and the process.

Curious as to why food gets stuck in the oesophagus as technically that hasn't been altered? Does it happen because the new stomach pouch is already full or is there some other reason?