Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there guys! This is my first post ever on here. I am 22 and I am still in my pre-op phase but about to get my surgery date for the sleeve any day now!

My question is for those post op. I live in Oklahoma City, by the way. So i'd like to keep close-ish to home. :) My starting weight was 461 and I'm now down to 427. (YAY!) I have been so insanely overweight my entire life, I have never went on a roller coaster before, especially after I got kicked off of a thrill ride when I was 18 on my senior trip... My pant size right now is a 28 in women's which makes my waist size like a 60ish. I am REALLY wanting to go out and ride all of the roller coasters that will let me on post op.

I am just looking for some assistance from personal experience, what size pants or waist were you when you rode a REAL roller coaster? How much did you weigh when you went? Ladies, I have a normal hip size for my weight, flat booty, but I'm also relatively larger upstairs. Most of my weight is carried in my stomach and thighs but when I'm post op, maybe that will change a bit.

I am REALLY hoping someone can give me some pointers and tips and just generally something to look forward to! Thanks! :)

Hi and welcome, I am still pre-op so hopefully someone post-op will chime in soon.

What a great non scale goal to ride a roller coaster, you have lots to look forward to.

Hey there guys! This is my first post ever on here. I am 22 and I am still in my pre-op phase but about to get my surgery date for the sleeve any day now!
My question is for those post op. I live in Oklahoma City, by the way. So i'd like to keep close-ish to home. [emoji4] My starting weight was 461 and I'm now down to 427. (YAY!) I have been so insanely overweight my entire life, I have never went on a roller coaster before, especially after I got kicked off of a thrill ride when I was 18 on my senior trip... My pant size right now is a 28 in women's which makes my waist size like a 60ish. I am REALLY wanting to go out and ride all of the roller coasters that will let me on post op.
I am just looking for some assistance from personal experience, what size pants or waist were you when you rode a REAL roller coaster? How much did you weigh when you went? Ladies, I have a normal hip size for my weight, flat booty, but I'm also relatively larger upstairs. Most of my weight is carried in my stomach and thighs but when I'm post op, maybe that will change a bit.
I am REALLY hoping someone can give me some pointers and tips and just generally something to look forward to! Thanks! [emoji4]
i totally get this. i had this happen to me when i was with my daughter at six flags. i felt so embarrassed. it will happen for us both though!!! i have mine Wednesday. I've ridden many roller coasters when i was younger and thinner and i look forward to doing it again. i was scared of that embarrassment since it happened so haven't gone in a couple years but i plan to soon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

My question is for those post op. I live in Oklahoma City, by the way. So i'd like to keep close-ish to home. [emoji4] My starting weight was 461 and I'm now down to 427. (YAY!) I have been so insanely overweight my entire life, I have never went on a roller coaster before, especially after I got kicked off of a thrill ride when I was 18 on my senior trip... My pant size right now is a 28 in women's which makes my waist size like a 60ish. I am REALLY wanting to go out and ride all of the roller coasters that will let me on post op.
I am REALLY hoping someone can give me some pointers and tips and just generally something to look forward to! Thanks! [emoji4]
oh and pant size would be like 20 or under to be safe they won't kick you off. i think the last time i went and rode a lot was like 18 pant size.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

When I was a size 22/24 I was able to ride Disney roller coasters. But I don't know how theirs compare to other amusement parks.

It is s terrible feeling not being able to fit into a ride. Soon you will no longer have to worry about that! :)

There are some great videos on this on YouTube by some women who had this experience. I think they said up to 300 pounds they could ride most rides at Disney. It probably depends on the park. I would check their website or forums first. I have been able to ride all universal studio and Disney rides at size 18, but some of them were quite snug.

Hi!!! I'm from OKC!!!

For Frontier City size 18/20 is a little tight but acceptable for their rides.

I know a lot of zip lines its 275lb or less.

I cant wait to start doing amusement parks again. :-)

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, ChellNC said:

When I was a size 22/24 I was able to ride Disney roller coasters. But I don't know how theirs compare to other amusement parks.

It is s terrible feeling not being able to fit into a ride. Soon you will no longer have to worry about that! :)

Disney World and Disneyland are friendly to "Pooh sized" guests as some like to say. I've been size 28/30 and no problems riding any of their rides.

Six Flags and other amusement parks, not so much. I can't personally vouch for Universal Studios, but I've heard they are more Pooh sized friendly than 6 Flags, but not as much as Disney.

Disney's really good about accommodating "guests with certain body dimensions," but, there aren't a lot of true roller coasters at Disney parks. Universal, the BIG coasters won't accommodate big folks. Some of the smaller motion simulator rides will, but not all (no Harry Potter, unfortunately). Six Flags, hahaha. I walked seven miles at Six Flags the last time I was there. Because it was all I could do, nothing fit.

I wish I had some more insight for you on what size you can start riding some of these, but I won't be going to any until spring. By that time, though, I'm hoping that I'll be able to fit on the dang things! I loved my coasters!

I'm in the same boat ive been very overweight my whole life and haven't been on a roller coaster since middle school. I am 2 week post op and this is one of the things im highly looking forward to ! [emoji3]

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

I live right near Orlando and visit both Disney and Universal Studios frequently. As others have said, Disney is VERY size friendly and you should be able to ride just about anything there. most of the coasters there don't go upside down. Rockin Rollercoaster is the only one and even then, I was always able to ride.

Universal, like most other theme parks, is absolutely not size friendly, but it does depend on your body proportions a little bit. I was larger in the butt and thigh area so I could not fit in between the arm rests at all. Even though I am smaller up top, I was essentially sitting on top of the seat so they could not bring the chest harness down far enough. If you are smaller in the butt and thighs, you gain a few inches there. Universal does have some modified seating, which is for guests with a larger upper body. The seats are the same size, but the harnesses do not seem to have to come down as far. Here is a good article about it. You may want to search for modified seating at whichever park you are considering attending.

All of that said, given my proportions, I was a size 20 the first time I was able to go and actually fit into the seat. It was very tight, but I fit. If you have a smaller lower body you may be okay earlier than that.

Best of luck. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your first ride!!

Just went last week; size 18/20 and approx 230 lbs

I started at 412lb with a 60 pants size in April 2017. At that size coasters were completely off the table. Following surgery I look my son to Kings Island and Cedar Point in August. At that time I was 238 and wearing a 38 waist. At that size I rode everything with no problem and was comfortable in my plane seat and able to use the tray table (for the first time ever.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:49 PM, kpt2120 said:

My question is for those post op. I live in Oklahoma City, by the way. So i'd like to keep close-ish to home. :) My starting weight was 461 and I'm now down to 427. (YAY!) I have been so insanely overweight my entire life, I have never went on a roller coaster before, especially after I got kicked off of a thrill ride when I was 18 on my senior trip... My pant size right now is a 28 in women's which makes my waist size like a 60ish. I am REALLY wanting to go out and ride all of the roller coasters that will let me on post op.

I am REALLY hoping someone can give me some pointers and tips and just generally something to look forward to! Thanks! :)

To be honest, you are going to want to be sub 300, maybe even sub 250, I know when I started getting above a size 44/46 inch waist, I couldn't fit on the some of the rides any more.

Edited by Matt Z

This past summer we went to Universal Studios and Disney and at 220-230, size 18- it was OK. Some rides were still a bit tight, but nothing major.