Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How old were you when?

2.5 weeks past my 46th birthday. I was a typical yo-yo dieter and at my highest weight 280 when I was 27-28, I was able to lose the weight (120lbs) naturally. I kept the weight off mostly (+/- 20lbs) and then in the last three years weight has crept back up and losing it naturally hasn't work. I used to hear once you get into your 40's the weight is harder to come off. I never believed it until these last couple of years and the struggles I've had with trying to lose it. Best decision I ever made.

I was 33 when I had my RNY. 3 months before my 34th birthday. I went to my doctor 1 month before my 31st birthday and asked him to refer me to my local clinic that deals with obesity. If I could get into the clinic I wouldn't have to pay for the surgery. The clinic does have a long wait list though. I waited 18 months to get into the clinic. I definitely wish I had of done it sooner but for me it was a matter of stubbornness I didnt want to admit that I had a problem and needed help..so I ignored it until I couldn't ignore it any longer.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

33 all.

Met a guy younger than me who'd had it done. He showed me before-and-after pictures and my jaw dropped...looked like a different person. Never considered it before that, my mentality was "Oh, surgery is for people who are out of all other options." Meeting that guy revised my attitude.

Jumped on the band wagon. Went less than four months from first meeting with my doctor to being on the table. I was on a mission in those four months...I was tired of looking and feeling the way I always had, and was ready to change, and by Pete, nothing was going to keep me from that change. Chewed threw everything the doctor set me at...orders, monitored weight loss (actually got close on that once), diet. Threw myself into it. Still throwing myself into it. No regrets, except waiting this long.

I was 31 when I went to the information session for my surgeon’s office and 32 when I actually had the surgery done. I wish I would have done it 10 years ago.

29, 2 weeks post op. I gained all this weight after a horrible relationship. Tried on my own didn’t work, saw a well known dr for Wls here, at the time was considering the band. But it felt like he was pushing his products on me. I felt like if I didn’t buy his products I wouldn’t be successful. Then I gave up fast forward a few years later and I’m actually glad I got it done now. I’m settled into my career and now I can focus on me.

I am a Bariatric trilogy: Band at 29 years, did not loose much and regained. Sleeve at 37year, lost 70 and over 3 years regained it all. 3 weeks ago at 40 I revised to RNY. Very hopeful this will be forever.

Bypass at 37! A shattered ankle sidelined me for about a year and I gained so
Much weight during that time. It was time to take control

I will have my surgery 9/25....4 days before my 54th birthday! Never even contemplated it until this summer, as my weight was never in range to qualify for anything and I figured I could just lose weight as I always had. Menopause a few years back said Oh no you can’t!! Lol! I figure this is the kind of kick in the butt I need to jump start weight loss and good habits once and for all

I was 65, almost 66. I will be 66 in 8 days. I’m 5 and 1/2 weeks post op gastric bypass. I wanted to have surgery 3 years ago, but insurance didn’t cover any WLS. So I waited to enroll in Medicare. Very happy I had surgery.

I had a sleeve at 60yrs of age.I never thought of WLS because I throughly enjoyed food and the social life I built around it. That said, I had so many ailments such as diabetes , high BP, high cholesterol, etc etc. With all those ailmemts I also took a large amount of medications. Those medications eventually would have caused havoc on my liver and/or kidneys. I was a yo yo dieter who realized dieting was not the answer.

It was a great first step. The weight comes of fast and the results altered my health for the better. The next step is to maintain the weight loss and to keep my new found health. For me every day is a struggle with food but, I'm learning to eat better, be a mindful eater and not to cave in to my food cravings.

After a lifetime of yo-yo dieting I finally had RNY in July just before my 61st birthday. Mostly I was worried about my future health and just fed up with weight loss failure. I wish I could have been successful without surgery but finally realized I couldn’t do it on my own so hoping the surgery will help me kick this for good! Down almost 30 lbs since surgery! 🤞

I got my surgery a little over a month after my 32nd birthday. I considered it back when I was about 24 or 25 but didn’t feel supported so I just let go of the urge to do it. I wish I had gotten it done then but whatever, it’s done now 🙂

On 09/11/2018 at 04:45, She_whirls said:

I was 31 when I went to the information session for my surgeon’s office and 32 when I actually had the surgery done. I wish I would have done it 10 years ago.
Same! Just had mine done this year a little over a month after my 32nd birthday. But I went to the seminar about a year ago this month

38. My BMI only got up to a qualifying weight at this age. No regrets!

I was 60 when I had my sleeve surgery- two years ago TODAY. I was just tired of waking up every day and thinking about my weight, how awful I looked, how tired I was, how much of a loser I was to let myself get that big. I was jut tired of hating myself every day, so I did it. Wish I'd done it 10 years earlier!