Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is sick of purees? Some fresh ideas...

Hey! I'm really sick of purees! But it's better than the liquid diet - that was brutal. I wish I never had to look at another Protein Drink as long as I live. I developed some serious food aversions on liquid because I was feeling so nauseous every time I ate something. So lots of things are cancelled. Moving on to purees. I'm doing much better b ut I still prefer to eat a large variety of food so I'm trying to mix it up a bit. Try some of these if you need ideas!

(my favorite continues to be refried Beans but I don't think I need a pic of that here)

GREEK chicken SALAD: rotisserie chicken, Trader Joe's tzatziki dip, black pepper, garnished with mint leaf (I food process the chicken and the sauce separately then mix them together with a spoon - it leaves just enough texture to keep me from going crazy - not a fan of chicken pudding)

I also do regular chicken salad like this with mayo, lemon zest, dijon, salt, pepper; here's a pic of both

20180906_112027.jpg

ACAI BOWL

1 packet of unsweetened acai puree (Trader Joes)

1" piece of banana

granola dust (crunchy granola pulsed into dust with nutritional yeast)

greek yogurt

Blend together the acai puree and the banana (this will make several servings) Use 1 - 2 tablespoons to top greek yogurt. Sprinkle with granola dust

20180905_154242.jpg

MEATBALLS!

2 Trader Joes meatless meatballs, thawed and mashed with fork
1 T ricotta cheese
2T marinara sauce
1/8 t nutritional yeast
2T mozzarella cheese
Mix together everything but the mozzarella until it is smooth, top with mozzarella, heat in microwave.

20180906_105027.jpg

Refried Beans will always be my absolute fave!

20180905_154548.jpg

Laughing cow cheese, cottage cheese, and tuna or salmon, lemon pepper.

all looks yummy!!!!

1) Thanks! These will come in handy when I hit that stage!

2) I'm glad someone else uses ramekins as bowls. I splurged on some cute ramekins, and that kind of was? my entire new small bowl budget? So I'm just going to eat everything from cute ramekins for a while. :) And now I feel extra good about it, because your presentation in these photos is fantastic!

3) My contribution to the thread, since fall is almost here (in the northern hemisphere): this pumpkin Protein custard. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very excited about it. I've done crustless, lower-sugar pumpkin pies for years, so adding Protein Powder and removing all the sugar is an obvious next step.

I'm also really hopeful about this black bean soup. (Bonus: there is a bariatric-friendly plain egg custard linked from that page, too.)

On 9/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, iluvbears42@yahoo.com said:

Why are you eating puree food? Your surgery was way before mine and I am now on soft foods.

Different doctors and programs have different requirements.

My program requirements were 2 weeks liquid (aug 15 - 28), 2 weeks purees (aug 29 - sept 11), 1 week soft food then slowly add foods as tolerated.

Now I have to admit, I've been dancing on the border between puree and soft foods for a day or two and I'm doing well. Officially on soft foods starting Wed! But, I'm super grateful for the additional puree recipes you guys posted because I will still need some standby's that are easy to digest during the transition!

On 9/6/2018 at 3:05 PM, CrankyMagpie said:

1) Thanks! These will come in handy when I hit that stage!

2) I'm glad someone else uses ramekins as bowls. I splurged on some cute ramekins, and that kind of was? my entire new small bowl budget? So I'm just going to eat everything from cute ramekins for a while. :) And now I feel extra good about it, because your presentation in these photos is fantastic!

3) My contribution to the thread, since fall is almost here (in the northern hemisphere): this  pumpkin Protein custard. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very excited about it. I've done crustless, lower-sugar pumpkin pies for years, so adding Protein Powder and removing all the sugar is an obvious next step.

I'm also really hopeful about this black bean soup. (Bonus: there is a bariatric-friendly plain egg custard linked from that page, too.)

Ramekins are the best! They heat so nicely in the microwave or oven. Hubby, however, is sick of looking at the stacks of half eaten ramekins I have stashed in the fridge. I keep overfilling them and can't eat it all. I hate wasting food so I keep shoving them in the fridge but then never eat the rest. Oops!

Thank you for these recipes - I will definitely try that pumpkin one :)

On 9/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, iluvbears42@yahoo.com said:

Why are you eating puree food? Your surgery was way before mine and I am now on soft foods.

What @ChellNC said, but also, you're a sleever, and @Naughty Glitter Goddess is an RNYer. I bet the schedules have to be a little different between surgeries.

Tomorrow I get to move on to puree/soft foods and I can't wait! Yesterday I bought a few things in preparation. Refried Beans tomorrow night and I'm going to make the Ricotta bake this week. I'm so excited for some kind of food! Ha!

Have any of you tried Neat meat replacement? I've never tried it and honestly never wanted to before now. When I saw it at the store I thought it would be a good food for the puree/soft food stage.

I am new to group first day. I am in the pureed stage but can not visually handle what it looks like so I chew everything I eat up really fine and have not had any issues. Things like scrambled eggs, Beans, fish and other meats ( can't be dry). I still have Protein Shakes and Greek yogurt. I go see my surgeon on Monday will let you guys know how it goes. I'm 4 weeks and 1 day post-op bypass. I am so thankful for this group. I