Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here! Anyone going for surgery in January 2019??

6 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

And may you be healthier than a lab 🐀 rat, may all your testing be smooth and sleek, and you'll keep moving towards surgery! Now after 10 vials, they will announce you are slightly anemic, could it be from excessive blood drawn off? Hmmn just could be!🎃😛💕

LOL I could definitely see that happening.

BTW, where in Ohio are you? My daughter goes to school there. She goes to Kent and is hoping to go to Med School in Cleveland.

I'm in Central Ohio so much south of your daughter, maybe 75-80miles, last time I pulled up Akron , milesvwere approx. 80. My small city is Mount Vernon, pop 20,000, known for the birthplace of Daniel Decatur Emmett, the guy who wrote Dixie and was a minstrel/ vaudeville performer back in the day, Dr. Semple,, a dentist who invented chewing gum as an exercise for his dental patients and was dumb enough to sell out to Wrigley, and the late Actor Paul Lynde, among,other roles he was Uncle Arthur back on Bewitched, and Me. I have lived my whole life in Central Ohio, within a 50-60 mile radius of here. Daddy's family were from one county south, and Mama's from this and the county just to the Northwest. Yeah the roots run deep here. Been here since Indian days, my ancestors were probably the settlers that ran them out. Did you know Ohio is the only state without some sort of tribal reserve. And if you've heard the term " ----in the woodpile, I am virtually sure there are original Native,American. Mr supposition? Well you look AT my family on Daddy's side, the pictures it looks stronger and stronger! Well I am red-blonde, fairly fair skinned, talk for a woman so don't like them, favor my Mama's side, shoot some of them doubted I was Daddy's child. So what do I have to lose by asking? Asked one of Daddy's sisters, she puffed out her chest, drew up to her full 5ft6in height and announced WE DO NOT DISCUSS THAT! Hmmn the pliy thickens, do you have Wikipedia on either your smartphone or computer? If you do, go there and key in "Peoria Indians" the vast amount are now located in Oklahoma. Once upon a time Ohio had a tribe called the Mingo. At the Battle of Fallen Timbers when Ohio basically evicted the Indians off the lands the Great Spirit had entrusted to them, they moved West and merged with Peoria in Illinois. Okay if you gave pulled that website entry on Wikipedia, look at a pleasant middle-aged lady there, spitting image of Daddy's sister, the one who was SO ANGRY at her Frustr8 niece for bringing up the subject. I'm so diluted myself with settler blood maybe 1/16 or so, but it's nothing to be ashamed of, just means I have a little more rights to be here than average.
Kent State is an excellent university, have a cousin that received his Masters from there. Case Western Reserve has a great medical school and and I think there is one billed as Medical College of Northeastern Ohio.
I had my RNY at Ohio State university in Columbus, which is 48 miles Southwest of here, no Bariatrics in Mount Vernon as yet, May be 2019 or 2020. Every time I frequent my local ER which I do no more than necessary, they do not quite know what to do with me, like a purple spotted giraffe, I am fascinating. The staff has seen a few lapbands, fewer yet sleeves, but I think I am the only bypass they ever have been close to. And I am getting tired of doing tutorials.

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I'm in Central Ohio so much south of your daughter, maybe 75-80miles, last time I pulled up Akron , milesvwere approx. 80. My small city is Mount Vernon, pop 20,000, known for the birthplace of Daniel Decatur Emmett, the guy who wrote Dixie and was a minstrel/ vaudeville performer back in the day, Dr. Semple,, a dentist who invented chewing gum as an exercise for his dental patients and was dumb enough to sell out to Wrigley, and the late Actor Paul Lynde, among,other roles he was Uncle Arthur back on Bewitched, and Me. I have lived my whole life in Central Ohio, within a 50-60 mile radius of here. Daddy's family were from one county south, and Mama's from this and the county just to the Northwest. Yeah the roots run deep here. Been here since Indian days, my ancestors were probably the settlers that ran them out. Did you know Ohio is the only state without some sort of tribal reserve. And if you've heard the term " ----in the woodpile, I am virtually sure there are original Native,American. Mr supposition? Well you look AT my family on Daddy's side, the pictures it looks stronger and stronger! Well I am red-blonde, fairly fair skinned, talk for a woman so don't like them, favor my Mama's side, shoot some of them doubted I was Daddy's child. So what do I have to lose by asking? Asked one of Daddy's sisters, she puffed out her chest, drew up to her full 5ft6in height and announced WE DO NOT DISCUSS THAT! Hmmn the pliy thickens, do you have Wikipedia on either your smartphone or computer? If you do, go there and key in "Peoria Indians" the vast amount are now located in Oklahoma. Once upon a time Ohio had a tribe called the Mingo. At the Battle of Fallen Timbers when Ohio basically evicted the Indians off the lands the Great Spirit had entrusted to them, they moved West and merged with Peoria in Illinois. Okay if you gave pulled that website entry on Wikipedia, look at a pleasant middle-aged lady there, spitting image of Daddy's sister, the one who was SO ANGRY at her Frustr8 niece for bringing up the subject. I'm so diluted myself with settler blood maybe 1/16 or so, but it's nothing to be ashamed of, just means I have a little more rights to be here than average.
Kent State is an excellent university, have a cousin that received his Masters from there. Case Western Reserve has a great medical school and and I think there is one billed as Medical College of Northeastern Ohio.
I had my RNY at Ohio State university in Columbus, which is 48 miles Southwest of here, no Bariatrics in Mount Vernon as yet, May be 2019 or 2020. Every time I frequent my local ER which I do no more than necessary, they do not quite know what to do with me, like a purple spotted giraffe, I am fascinating. The staff has seen a few lapbands, fewer yet sleeves, but I think I am the only bypass they ever have been close to. And I am getting tired of doing tutorials.

Then I am a straight shot east for you probably. I live directly off of Route 422 and I know that goes into Ohio from PA.

My daughter is hoping for either Cleveland Clinics med school or Ohio University Cleveland campus. Right now, Kent is exactly 2 hours door to door for us.

The tribe called "Mingo" were they mainly down near Mingo Junction? My county had it's share of indians too with a large battle in the next town north from me called Kittanning.

And my Husband's family was one of the original settlers in our County (Armstrong). Luckily, I have been able to go back pretty far into the 1700's thanks to Ancestry.com. LOL

Yep thats how the place got its name , most Daddy's people were between Newark in Licking County and Zaneville in Muskingum county which has the dubious honors of being half-way between Columbus and Pittsburgh Pa, at least that's what THEY say, to me it looks they're closed to Columbus and the famous Y-Bridge where the Licking and Muskingum Rivers join. Never liked Zanesville, thought it was too dirty, had some kinfolk around Newell WVa, I always thought the whole upper peninsula of WV a is THAT WAY. They also probably didn't like me either! 😛LOL

I just got a tentative date of January 30 after the hospital clerks stuffed my paperwork. One last surgical appt at end of December to confirm type and then onto the pre op liquids.
I’m still working through the type of surgery. I was set on a sleeve as had previous abdominal surgery but the surgeons want to do a full bypass.
The malabsorption issues put me off though, especially around loss of bone density. I have a plan to retire in the Philippines one day and Vitamins aren’t so readily available. I’d appreciate any thoughts on the malabsorption issues if any.

Hi. I think even if you choose the sleeve you're going to need to take Vitamins daily for life. Although there aren't malabsorption issues with the sleeve you can't get away with skipping the vitamins post surgery. Good luck with whichever you choose!

2 hours ago, NZR said:

I just got a tentative date of January 30 after the hospital clerks stuffed my paperwork. One last surgical appt at end of December to confirm type and then onto the pre op liquids.
I’m still working through the type of surgery. I was set on a sleeve as had previous abdominal surgery but the surgeons want to do a full bypass.
The malabsorption issues put me off though, especially around loss of bone density. I have a plan to retire in the Philippines one day and Vitamins aren’t so readily available. I’d appreciate any thoughts on the malabsorption issues if any.

Vitamins and minerals are extremely important after wls. You are at high risk of all sorts of serious deficiencies if you don’t take them. You may feel fine but in reality your body is missing something and by the time you address it serious irreversible damage may already have been done.

Thanks for the responses. My surgeon at initial talks confirmed Vitamins for life and I am cool with that . He indicated if I got the sleeve it would be just 2 Centrum 50plus tabs daily which are readily available everywhere.
What I don’t see is the Calcium, Vitamin D etc etc being available but I guess I can always import them myself. It’s a few years off so anything might happen.

Hoops have been jumped here, should get date in a few days. Looking like January 2019 they say...Few little creepy thought hit me at times but all in all I am anxious to get this in gear...Good Luck to all who is waiting on a date

Hey All! I’m targeting a Feb 2019 surgery month for the sleeve. Have NUT appt and psych eval this month. December I have my consultation and then off to insurance approval. I’m in Tampa Florida but plan on using dr marema out of Orlando. So far so good!

January 12, 2019!!! I am sooooo ready! Plane tickets purchased, making 2nd payment tomorrow and then another Dec 10th. Just don't want to have to bring a lot of cash with me to Mexico. Decided to go with "A Slimmer Me". Really good reviews and even better rates...they are running a special for $2999. with a free hernia repair until Nov 15th. I also had to call Southwest Airlines and request wheelchair services, I forgot to add that when I booked my flights. I was told to bring Gas-X, a travel pillow, a heating pad, an extension cord, and to order my Vitamins (patches) before I go and start them immediately when I get back. I am addicted to Sleeve information and before and after pics. I also have no plans on telling ANYONE until after I return. I originally told my boyfriend and my best friend, he was VERY supportive, she was totally against it. I don't want to have to go through that again because the things she said was heartbreaking. I am amped up and ready to go....this month is crawling by. Any advice?

I am having the Sleeve done January 9th. Nervously excited!