Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It cant be lactose - can it be sweetners causing my stomach upset?

I am on my pre-op diet, Protein Powder 4X per day. I am taking lactaid with it but my stomach is STILL gurgling, gassy and diarrhea is still pretty bothersome. I've been on the diet three weeks already and have another two to go. Could the sweetener be doing this? I am hesitant to buy unflavored/unsweetened because its a money investment and if it doesn't work I don't want to waste it. Any ideas for me? Did anyone else have this issue?

36 minutes ago, Separ1418 said:

I am on my pre-op diet, Protein Powder 4X per day. I am taking lactaid with it but my stomach is STILL gurgling, gassy and diarrhea is still pretty bothersome. I've been on the diet three weeks already and have another two to go. Could the sweetener be doing this? I am hesitant to buy unflavored/unsweetened because its a money investment and if it doesn't work I don't want to waste it. Any ideas for me? Did anyone else have this issue?

Some folks have issues with certain sweeteners and sugar alcohols. Could totally be that, still could be the lactose, maybe double a dose of the lactaid and see? Do you typically have issues with whole milk or ice creams?

I do. I have also found that it is worse in the afternoon - maybe I'm not getting enough Lactaid in - I'll try doubling up and see if that helps. Thank you!

I didn’t run into the issue until post-op but I can’t have dairy at all. It’s not lactose intolerance, it’s got to be the dairy Protein and it sucks! It might be that, then again it could just be the protein powder. They never made me feel great. Is your protein weight protein isolate? I think it’s theeasiest to digest. I would definitely call the nutritionist, they deal with these things all the time.

Are the sweetners sugar alcohols such as sorbitol or mannitol? These are known to have a laxative effect (or should that be affect?).

1 hour ago, 2shea said:

Are the sweetners sugar alcohols such as sorbitol or mannitol? These are known to have a laxative effect (or should that be affect?).

I looked and most of what I’m consuming base sucralose. I can’t find anything definitive as to whether they are known to cause those symptoms or not.

4 weeks post op I became intolerant to whey Protein isolate. But it just caused nausea, not the same type of upset stomach as you have.

I switched to a lactose-free milk when I couldn't find soy milk. I have switched back to soy and I now have no problems, I don't know if the lactose free milk was bad or what but I will NEVER drink that again! :wacko:

Me too!! I already knew I was lactose intolerant so I'm using LF milk to make up the shakes but my stomach is not used to all the sweeteners and me in diet. I'm just putting up with it because I have finally found shakes that taste half decent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I am preop and I once was fine with whey isolates but now I cant have them at all. Since I am fine with milk, we determined it was the Protein itself. Too much of that protein was making me SO sick. I switched to soy and half soy/half whey. No problems anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app