Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is too fast good or bad?

So I was sleeved on June 25th of this year. My starting weight was 410. Fast forward to present day and I am now weighing 325 (thank you thank you lol). The fact that I am 2 months and 2 weeks out and down 85lbs already is mind blowing to me. Another 15 and I'm at -100lbs (my math skills are superb today lol). My concern though is, is this normal? I see many post on here and of people who are just months out as well and they haven't lost as much weight as I have (I'm not trying to toot my own horn here). I checked with my surgeon and he said all is well, I checked with my nutritionist and she says my diet is fine, my intake is where it should be and all my lab work looks fine. My surgeon says it's most likely due to my activity levels. I am very honest with my team, I let them know on how often I slip up, have drinks and foods I shouldn't but at this point even they said they dont even know how I am where I am but to just keep doing what I'm doing. I'd love to here some input or if anyone else is experiencing the same. Hope you all are having a great day!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

If your team says everything is fine, I wouldn't question it. Congrats on the loss!

This is a great case of how we all are different in our weight loss journey. So impressed with you. You should be proud. I Celebrate EVERY pound. This is why we simply can't compare our journey with each other. You are doing amazing!!!!

Congratulations! That’s awesome.

I’m not a vet but the more your starting weight is the more you will lose, if the starting weight is lower then you lose less lbs. I need to lose 80 lbs but sure do not want to lose it all in 2 months... I don’t think my brain could handle that lol. like NCGITL88 said it just shows how we are all different in our weight loss.

You should be proud...Keep up the great work!!

1 hour ago, BigLu18 said:

So I was sleeved on June 25th of this year. My starting weight was 410. Fast forward to present day and I am now weighing 325 (thank you thank you lol). The fact that I am 2 months and 2 weeks out and down 85lbs already is mind blowing to me. Another 15 and I'm at -100lbs (my math skills are superb today lol). My concern though is, is this normal? I see many post on here and of people who are just months out as well and they haven't lost as much weight as I have (I'm not trying to toot my own horn here). I checked with my surgeon and he said all is well, I checked with my nutritionist and she says my diet is fine, my intake is where it should be and all my lab work looks fine. My surgeon says it's most likely due to my activity levels. I am very honest with my team, I let them know on how often I slip up, have drinks and foods I shouldn't but at this point even they said they dont even know how I am where I am but to just keep doing what I'm doing. I'd love to here some input or if anyone else is experiencing the same. Hope you all are having a great day!

The higher the starting weight, the faster the initial drop is.

Id say, Your good to go. If you feel good and aren't having any health issues good on ya brother. CONGRATS!!!!!

You are doing great. Ride the high wave.

Just keep in mind that it will not always go this fast and there might be a stall coming. The body will make some adjustments along the way, sometimes your shape will change or inches will disappear during a stall. It is different for everyone.

Keep up the work with your team!

4 hours ago, BigLu18 said:

What is your activity level? I am 15 days out and down almost 30lb. Started back to work on Tuesday. Activity level for me is walking. Up to about 4000-4500 steps now.

First off, you are a man and a younger one at that ( see, my observation skills are almost as good as your math skills 😉). This means you got a leg up on weight loss - totally not fair but that's what you get with more muscle. Secondly, you are starting from a rather high weight, add in you are probably following your program very closely and your 80 pound sounds perfectly normal and safe.

Keep up the great work!!

What is your activity level? I am 15 days out and down almost 30lb. Started back to work on Tuesday. Activity level for me is walking. Up to about 4000-4500 steps now.
That's awesome bro, keep at it. I took a week off after the surgery and went right back to work. And walking is good! Try to up your numbers as the weeks go on. I'm a Campus Safety Officer so my levels of activity are different depending on the day. On average, on a slow day, I'm at 11000 steps or more. My Water intake is high. And I also try to hit the gym as often as I can.

From personal and similar experience, I would tell you to love the new you and closely protect the muscles you still have. They are a really heavy part of you and your body loves to eat them up in famine unless you prove you need them. It takes huge strong muscles to support 400+ pounds and rapid weight loss is largely rapid muscle loss. Less muscles eventually leads to less calorie burning and you will inevitably slow down. My first huge stall hit me at exactly 317 pounds. A very precise number I know! My body clung to this zone for nearly a month and a half. The scale is moving again. I didn't have the change my eating at all. It just happens.

I feel like I sound like a downer here, but I'm learning this the hard way and maybe you don't have too. I focused so much on building my endurance and doing cardio to speed the weight loss, but really didn't care or do much about strength building or maintaining. If I could go back in time I would be on a weight bench more than on the elliptical.

Man, I can't say how inspirational all or your loss experiences are. Congrats to all of you!!!

Ok, BigLu. Is that a screen name you want to use when you are SlimJim?
The more baggage you carry around every where you go the more calories you burn. You are burning more calories than you consume everyday. When your body needs more fuel to get the day's work done it calls up the reserve forces to assist. Your body taps your fat reserves and burns that fat for energy.
Then there's that man factor. Men lose weight FASTER than women. Years ago I was a weight watcher. I lost 6 pounds one week. I thought that was a lot until I was told a man weighed in early and had lost 24 pounds that week!

(Lol)