Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your hair look like when it grew back

I was all about hair before my surgery [emoji22] that was 8 months ago. I have cried and cried so much but then I realize my health is of much more importance. With 71 pounds down, I am so happy and feel so much healthier. More than half of my hair is gone, I tried everything! Hair products ( don't work and conditioner made my hair fall in clumps!), Biotin ( did research and only works for new hair growth!), not washing my hair for days ( hair was falling all over, since I always have it in a bun and taking it oof due to my scalp hurting [emoji31]). So I just waited.

Apparently to my nutritionist and my 6 months blood results, show I am not taking in enough protein! So I have been increasing that. 8 months later my Hair loss has decreased drastically but at the same time I am getting new Hair growth as well [emoji16]

I know everyone's body is different, so don't get discouraged. I don't regret it! I see it as a temporary phase and it'll pass. Just keep in mind why you want this procedure done. Is it to have and keep your beautiful hair or is it for you to live a longer healthier life? You may have kids, like I do. Think of them as well. I felt I was slowly killing my future, main reason for me.

Good luck to you and God bless!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

One of my friends, I swear in my town there are only 2 others, both sleevers, said when she lost and degree it came back in wiry and looked weird with her natural curls, the other said hers came back baby fine. Does it vary,that much just like our weight losses are individual?😕

I already started losing hair. Started at 5 weeks. I am 7 weeks now. I hope it doesn't go on for 7 more months! I will be totally bald! Every time I shower, chunks come out. I shed everywhere. My hair is noticeably thinner. Ohhhh welll I guess. When my mom had chemo and lost her hair, it grew back absurdly tight and curly. Once it got longer, it straightened out.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Well mice do have short fur, cats don't always, just living up to your pen name, I'm sure we will once again be thick of fur. I worry because I am a redhead, we have fewer hairs per square inch in the first place. Hope it won't progress until I can comb it with a washcloth!👵👸👴

9 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Well mice do have short fur, cats don't always, just living up to your pen name, I'm sure we will once again be thick of fur. I worry because I am a redhead, we have fewer hairs per square inch in the first place. Hope it won't progress until I can comb it with a washcloth!👵👸👴

Hey, maybe mine will come back in a luscious coat. Like Fabio. My friends are way too excited to pick out wigs for me. I'm like... okay guys, I don't think it'll progress that far but thanks. lol.

I had long thin hair and at about 4 weeks out it started coming out really badly so I got a pixie cut. It is only hair an it will grow back. It cut out all of the gray I had going on at the time and I am waiting to see what it does.

I didn’t notice it much until maybe 5 months. I had been taking all the right Vitamins all along, AND I LOST WEIGHT SO SLOWLY, never two digits in a month except month 1. My diet was so healthy. But of course the shock of the surgery could be what did it, or whacked hormones or stress in the body, I don’t know. By 8 months I had lost about 75% of my hair.

The difference between me (some of us) and cancer patients was that I did have enough long strands of hair to put in extensions. At first I put in 20, then added another 10 when I got used to them. My (ok not my) hair was lookin’ great! Longer than I ever had it! It went so well with my newly thinner body! I HIGHLY recommend doing extensions (with a good hairdresser) for other women in my situation. As you start to feel fantastic about your weight loss, start buying some new clothes, your hair looks horrible?? It took away my new joy at looking better. Getting the extensions changed all that.

i got the extensions about a year ago. I took good care of them and got them adjusted every month. But, here is the bad news, I still need them. Hair grows at best, at fastest, only 3/4-1 inch a month. So at 17 months out from surgery, the new hair (and my hairdresser says it is all growing back) is still only maybe 3 inches long. I may need another 6 mo of extensions, so in Jan I will have to buy more, new hair extensions, as eventually this hair starts to get a bit ratty. Until the hair gets past my chin or so, I’m not going to lose the extensions. But it has been a lifesaver.

And it is so worth it to be at goal weight (actually still losing a lb here and there). Keep going, guys. It’s temporary!

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, glopez said:

I was all about hair before my surgery that was 8 months ago. I have cried and cried so much but then I realize my health is of much more importance. With 71 pounds down, I am so happy and feel so much healthier. More than half of my hair is gone, I tried everything! Hair products ( don't work and conditioner made my hair fall in clumps!), Biotin ( did research and only works for new hair growth!), not washing my hair for days ( hair was falling all over, since I always have it in a bun and taking it oof due to my scalp hurting ). So I just waited.

Apparently to my nutritionist and my 6 months blood results, show I am not taking in enough protein! So I have been increasing that. 8 months later my Hair loss has decreased drastically but at the same time I am getting new Hair growth as well

I know everyone's body is different, so don't get discouraged. I don't regret it! I see it as a temporary phase and it'll pass. Just keep in mind why you want this procedure done. Is it to have and keep your beautiful hair or is it for you to live a longer healthier life? You may have kids, like I do. Think of them as well. I felt I was slowly killing my future, main reason for me.

Good luck to you and God bless!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks a million for this post! I am starting to get freaked out at ALL the hair I lose each day (especially in the morning after my shower). I am almost 6 months out. The Hair loss started at about 5 months out. I am going to continue to take the Vitamins and add a couple as well. My 6 mo appointment with blood work is the first week of Feb. I am anxious to see what the tests show! Thanks!

You can see my scalp now at the top, sides, and crown. Tried extensions. My hair is very thin and fine so hard to hide. Having my stylist make me a wig 😀

On 9/21/2018 at 9:27 PM, GotProlactinoma said:

Do you really want the truth? Yikes. It looks like sh** to me so far! I got extensions at 8 mos out because I lost about 75% of my hair. I got 30 gorgeous long blonde extensions and they look great. I’m 14 mos out now. But now at 14 mos from surgery, my baby hair (which probably started its fall at 5-6 mos after surgery) is about 2-3 inches long, and to me it is freaky. It doesn’t lie flat, it’s CURLY in some places (before it was straight), it makes it hard to make the whole head of hair including the extensions look right.

my hairdresser is awesome, and she has seen people go through all kinds of hair losses including cancer, and she is always assuring me that once it gets long enough it will look good.

Anyway, thanks to the good Lrd and hairdressers for EXTENSIONS! I only look horrible when they take them out to raise them once a month.

I have fine blonde hair and Im scared to do extensions if needed because I dont want to damage the hair thats left. Did you do tape ins or clip in? Is the hair not coming out that youre attaching it to?