Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your hair look like when it grew back

Hi. I'm trying to do as much research before surgery as I can. I'm prepared for the hair loss/waiting for it to grow back. My question is what did your hair look like when it grew back? Was it the same type/texture as before? I have curly hair (different types of curls on different parts of my head) and am very slowly going grey. So, I really just have a little grey now, and every now and again I notice more (and some are coming in wildly curly - I have one grey hair that looks like a spring in a ball point pen!). No big deal, going grey doesn't bother me. Just wondering if I should expect my curl pattern to change or expect my new growth to be more grey. I think if its more grey, I'll need to do some research on how to take care of grey curls, because they're often a different texture. Again, I'm not worried about it - no matter what happens - just want to think about what I need to start researching. Thank you!

1 hour ago, notmyname said:

Hi. I'm trying to do as much research before surgery as I can. I'm prepared for the hair loss/waiting for it to grow back. My question is what did your hair look like when it grew back? Was it the same type/texture as before? I have curly hair (different types of curls on different parts of my head) and am very slowly going grey. So, I really just have a little grey now, and every now and again I notice more (and some are coming in wildly curly - I have one grey hair that looks like a spring in a ball point pen!). No big deal, going grey doesn't bother me. Just wondering if I should expect my curl pattern to change or expect my new growth to be more grey. I think if its more grey, I'll need to do some research on how to take care of grey curls, because they're often a different texture. Again, I'm not worried about it - no matter what happens - just want to think about what I need to start researching. Thank you!

Never lost any hair... so it looks the same right now as it did pre-op.

very interested in the responses, following!

I have really tight curls and different curl patterns throughout. My hair fell out mostly along the front of my head. It's growing in finer, softer and less kinky in the areas that were VERY tight, and the curls are looser. My sister says I look like I got a whole new head of hair lol. I cut off all the damage and now it's short and tapered. Much easier to handle without the dried tangled rough ends.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I don’t think the texture of my hair has changed. And it was previously graying anyway. But it came back in little spikes and tufts all over my scalp. It is a lot of work trying to make my hair look normal now. The regrowth pushes the hair on the top of my scalp up, giving it a weird volume and texture. It’s like out of control bangs cut all over your head but half my hair is still shoulder length. I need to straighten all and de-puff the hair close to my scalp but the ends lack volume and look scraggly. I can’t remember what a good hair day feels like. Unfortunately, I do not have the Michelle Williams type face to pull off a pixie cut!

Mine started regrowing about a month or so ago after falling out from 2 months post op to 6 months post op. I haven't noticed a huge change in the texture of it so far but its only about an inch to an inch and a half long. My hair has always been fine and straight and it seems like that's how its coming back. I'm ready for it to grow in faster though because all the baby hairs all over my head makes it look like I've got serious chemical breakage but I don't! I've always got a halo of baby hair sticking up constantly.

She_whirls same here!!!

So for me it has been the same as postpartum Hair loss. Lose a bunch of hair, then have a bunch of baby hairs, and then back to normal.

Right now I am in the baby hairs stage. I definitely have a little bit more grey, but I'm not sure I can blame that on surgery. 😉

On 09/10/2018 at 01:42, LaLaDee said:

I don’t think the texture of my hair has changed. And it was previously graying anyway. But it came back in little spikes and tufts all over my scalp. It is a lot of work trying to make my hair look normal now. The regrowth pushes the hair on the top of my scalp up, giving it a weird volume and texture. It’s like out of control bangs cut all over your head but half my hair is still shoulder length. I need to straighten all and de-puff the hair close to my scalp but the ends lack volume and look scraggly. I can’t remember what a good hair day feels like. Unfortunately, I do not have the Michelle Williams type face to pull off a pixie cut!

When did your regrowth begin?

If you could see how much hair I lose daily you would be amazed I’m not bald It’s everywhere! I try to get it all out at one time so I localize where it falls. I am 8 mos post op and I think I’m finally slowing down and see new Hair growth. Interested to see how it comes in. I don’t think my gray hair is as noticeable as before but maybe just because it hasn’t grown back yet

On 14/09/2018 at 4:37 PM, baribetty said:
On 10/09/2018 at 6:42 PM, LaLaDee said:

When did your regrowth begin?

From memory I lost hair from about 3-6 months post op. Then I noticed regrowth about 8 months post op. It does come back!

Do you really want the truth? Yikes. It looks like sh** to me so far! I got extensions at 8 mos out because I lost about 75% of my hair. I got 30 gorgeous long blonde extensions and they look great. I’m 14 mos out now. But now at 14 mos from surgery, my baby hair (which probably started its fall at 5-6 mos after surgery) is about 2-3 inches long, and to me it is freaky. It doesn’t lie flat, it’s CURLY in some places (before it was straight), it makes it hard to make the whole head of hair including the extensions look right.

my hairdresser is awesome, and she has seen people go through all kinds of hair losses including cancer, and she is always assuring me that once it gets long enough it will look good.

Anyway, thanks to the good Lrd and hairdressers for EXTENSIONS! I only look horrible when they take them out to raise them once a month.

On 09/21/2018 at 21:27, GotProlactinoma said:

Do you really want the truth? Yikes. It looks like sh** to me so far! I got extensions at 8 mos out because I lost about 75% of my hair. I got 30 gorgeous long blonde extensions and they look great. I’m 14 mos out now. But now at 14 mos from surgery, my baby hair (which probably started its fall at 5-6 mos after surgery) is about 2-3 inches long, and to me it is freaky. It doesn’t lie flat, it’s CURLY in some places (before it was straight), it makes it hard to make the whole head of hair including the extensions look right.

my hairdresser is awesome, and she has seen people go through all kinds of hair losses including cancer, and she is always assuring me that once it gets long enough it will look good.

Anyway, thanks to the good Lrd and hairdressers for EXTENSIONS! I only look horrible when they take them out to raise them once a month.

Love your honest comment! Do you think clip ins would be helpful, or would you recommend more permanent extensions? I’ve thought about buying Barefoot blonde fill ins, but they are expensive (I know all good extensions are...) but I guess I’m a little afraid of longer term extensions damaging my real hair that’s left.

On ‎09‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, LaLaDee said:

From memory I lost hair from about 3-6 months post op. Then I noticed regrowth about 8 months post op. It does come back!

This is crazy to hear, because I'm 8 months post op and still rapidly losing hair. I've been losing hair since about 4 months post op. I don't see an end in sight. Its very disheartening.