Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

On 11/06/2018 at 16:28, Hrsnjs said:

Hey, October peeps! I have an odd question. It's in regard to portion sizes per meal. I'm currently on soft textured foods. The program I'm in states to have three meals per day, 1/4 cup each, and stop eating when you become full. I know tell doing lots of research and watching tons of YouTube videos that one person's sleeve will not necessarily be the same size as the next. My issue is...I can hold much more than 1/4 cup, even just a few weeks out. Like at least 1/2 to 3/4 cup. So here is the question. Do I eat what I can accommodate? Or do I stick to the recommended 1/4 cup per meal for the first 4 months? My information from the surgeon says 1/4 cup will make for less early stretching of the sleeve. I know some people say they can't even eat the whole 1/4 cup. This may resolve as I eat more solid rather than liquid foods like Soups and such. Your all's input is appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

I would go by what your surgeon recommends but I will say mine didn’t give exact measurements to eat. I’ve watched a lot of videos as you and have seen very small portion recommendations like 1/4 c and would not feel satisfied at all. When I was on the blended Soup I was trying to only have 1/2 a c and it wasn’t enough so my nut said to bump up to 1 cup or 1/2 a can and that made the biggest difference. I would ask your nutritionist. I was sleeved on 10/2 so 5 weeks out today and eating soft food for another week. My requirements are 80-100g of Protein, 800-1000 calories, 64+oz of Water. I am eating about 4oz at a time or about two sunny side up eggs or about a small can of tuna to give you an idea. Tonight I met a family member at Seasons 52 restaurant and could only do 1 meatball and a bite of a 2nd and was full. So weird! I will also add when I moved from soup to real food and calories closer to 1000/day my lbs seem to drop a little quicker. I’m down 35 lbs total (10 lbs week preop liquid) and 25lbs post op.

I would go by what your surgeon recommends but I will say mine didn’t give exact measurements to eat. I’ve watched a lot of videos as you and have seen very small portion recommendations like 1/4 c and would not feel satisfied at all. When I was on the blended Soup I was trying to only have 1/2 a c and it wasn’t enough so my nut said to bump up to 1 cup or 1/2 a can and that made the biggest difference. I would ask your nutritionist. I was sleeved on 10/2 so 5 weeks out today and eating soft food for another week. My requirements are 80-100g of Protein, 800-1000 calories, 64+oz of Water. I am eating about 4oz at a time or about two sunny side up eggs or about a small can of tuna to give you an idea. Tonight I met a family member at Seasons 52 restaurant and could only do 1 meatball and a bite of a 2nd and was full. So weird! I will also add when I moved from Soup to real food and calories closer to 1000/day my lbs seem to drop a little quicker. I’m down 35 lbs total (10 lbs week preop liquid) and 25lbs post op.
That is awesome progress. And I'm hoping with more solid foods that things start to move a little. I did send an email to my nutritionist and will see what she says about the portions. It's funny how different programs have different guidelines. Mine has no calorie restrictions at all. Just 1/4 cup meals 3x a day, Protein Drinks and Water in between. 60-80g of Protein per day.

On 11/06/2018 at 21:11, Hrsnjs said:

That is awesome progress. And I'm hoping with more solid foods that things start to move a little. I did send an email to my nutritionist and will see what she says about the portions. It's funny how different programs have different guidelines. Mine has no calorie restrictions at all. Just 1/4 cup meals 3x a day, Protein Drinks and Water in between. 60-80g of Protein per day.

It is strange how it is all so different. Maybe each surgeon makes our pouches a little different and they know what is best for their work. I don’t know but I do know that 1/4 c 3 times a day would be very hard for me. Oh and I also forgot to add I’m eating every 3 hrs or a shake. I will also say that I felt like I was ahead of schedule with progress and everything I was trying was going down ok. This past weekend I had some regression and started to get very nauseous after eating everything with pain and could not eat as much as I had been. I’m not sure if I tried too many new things too fast or if something I ate irritated me but It definitely let me know that I need to be careful. I did a day of liquid and now taking it slow.

It is strange how it is all so different. Maybe each surgeon makes our pouches a little different and they know what is best for their work. I don’t know but I do know that 1/4 c 3 times a day would be very hard for me. Oh and I also forgot to add I’m eating every 3 hrs or a shake. I will also say that I felt like I was ahead of schedule with progress and everything I was trying was going down ok. This past weekend I had some regression and started to get very nauseous after eating everything with pain and could not eat as much as I had been. I’m not sure if I tried too many new things too fast or if something I ate irritated me but It definitely let me know that I need to be careful. I did a day of liquid and now taking it slow.
I have been the same, everything is working well snd I haven't had any issues with any food I've tried, and I've strayed a little from soft textures. Knowing you were like that and then had issues I will pay close attention to each new thing I try. I love this resource that we have in each other!

7 hours ago, Byefat said:

Hey I responded but I guess it didn't submit? Oh well. Thank you for your concern. I wish I could get out of it but I know I just can't. I will have some help with the turkey and fixins (teenagers, husband, whipcrack...)but the thing that scares me the most is them (extended family) noticing that I won't be eating much (WAAA) of anything and the conversation that might transpire from it..

I LOVE crab and would love your pumpkin custard recipe maybe? That may be something I could have! :)

Thanks again for your reply ❤️

Here's the recipe: https://www.bariatricfoodie.com/niks-protein-pumpkin-custard/

(It isn't mine, but it is one I've made and enjoyed. I also like this plain custard. I do half splenda/half xylitol, and people can't tell I didn't use sugar.)

If you want a little fib to use to try to get off the hook, you could say you snacked too much while you were preparing dinner and now you aren't hungry?

Or, since they'll eventually see you're losing weight, you can start with the "I'm watching what I eat--yeah, even on holidays" thing, maybe.

5 hours ago, Hrsnjs said:

Hey, October peeps! I have an odd question. It's in regard to portion sizes per meal. I'm currently on soft textured foods. The program I'm in states to have three meals per day, 1/4 cup each, and stop eating when you become full. I know tell doing lots of research and watching tons of YouTube videos that one person's sleeve will not necessarily be the same size as the next. My issue is...I can hold much more than 1/4 cup, even just a few weeks out. Like at least 1/2 to 3/4 cup. So here is the question. Do I eat what I can accommodate? Or do I stick to the recommended 1/4 cup per meal for the first 4 months? My information from the surgeon says 1/4 cup will make for less early stretching of the sleeve. I know some people say they can't even eat the whole 1/4 cup. This may resolve as I eat more solid rather than liquid foods like Soups and such. Your all's input is appreciated.

I'm definitely at more than half a cup on the soft stuff like cottage cheese, too. (10/3 surgery date.) My nutritionists said to take small bites, to put the fork down between each bite, to chew everything to a paste, and to stop eating at half an hour, or when I feel full. So... that's what I do? My "properly full" mechanism still isn't really in place, but I can tell when I'm slightly over-full, anyway.

Soups, I can eat significantly more than half a cup. Like, I really think soups might not be the best choice for me.

Ground meat, it's less than half a cup, but still more than a quarter cup.

My sense is that, as we move on to denser foods, we'll feel more restriction. So others on the forum have said, anyway.

So I think we're OK?

I'm definitely at more than half a cup on the soft stuff like cottage cheese, too. (10/3 surgery date.) My nutritionists said to take small bites, to put the fork down between each bite, to chew everything to a paste, and to stop eating at half an hour, or when I feel full. So... that's what I do? My "properly full" mechanism still isn't really in place, but I can tell when I'm slightly over-full, anyway.
Soups, I can eat significantly more than half a cup. Like, I really think Soups might not be the best choice for me.
Ground meat, it's less than half a cup, but still more than a quarter cup.
My sense is that, as we move on to denser foods, we'll feel more restriction. So others on the forum have said, anyway.
So I think we're OK?
I think you're probably right. [emoji6]

I had my surgery on October 26th and I am doing great. I do however find myself having a lot of heartburn

Are you taking omeprazole for acid reflux my Dr told me I had to still take it for 3 months. I just noticed certain things give me heart burn so I don't eat it. Like regular unsweetened apple sauce was fine but when I ate cherry flavored unsweetened apple sauce it gave me heart burn. Just be aware of what you eat sometimes heart burn can be controlled.

9 hours ago, CrankyMagpie said:

Here's the recipe: https://www.bariatricfoodie.com/niks-protein-pumpkin-custard/t

(It isn't mine, but it is one I've made and enjoyed. I also like this plain custard. I do half splenda/half xylitol, and people can't tell I didn't use sugar.)

If you want a little fib to use to try to get off the hook, you could say you snacked too much while you were preparing dinner and now you aren't hungry?

Or, since they'll eventually see you're losing weight, you can start with the "I'm watching what I eat--yeah, even on holidays" thing, maybe.

Oooo those are the kind of fibs I'm going to need, lol. I Can't wait to make this custard! Thank you!!!

How do you reply to someone’s comment?

Edited by pdamoci

34 minutes ago, Yvonne47 said:

Are you taking omeprazole for acid reflux my Dr told me I had to still take it for 3 months. I just noticed certain things give me heart burn so I don't eat it. Like regular unsweetened apple sauce was fine but when I ate cherry flavored unsweetened apple sauce it gave me heart burn. Just be aware of what you eat sometimes heart burn can be controlled.

Thanks Yvonne I am taking Dexilant which is very strong but still having issues. I will have to play closer attention as to which foods are causing this. I am post op two weeks so I am only on creamed Soups etc

Like you are,now, if you don't mind everyone reading it, if you do, eitherprivate message them or ask them to do that to you. Wishing you a Good Day to you TODAY!