Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

Well, my 5 month update (I'm really only 5 months out because I was sleeved on 10/29). I'm down 103 total, 96 since pre-op diet, 82 since surgery (appx 68% EWL since surgery). I'd take it all back if I could. I had a great first 3 months - got my protein/liquids in from around day 3, could eat most anything I tried. Now I'm sick as a f'ing dog. Luckily, I'm at least a bit better than I was at the end of February, when I cried every day from the reflux and overwhelming nausea. Doc changed my meds a bit, so the reflux is manageable and I am not nauseous all the time, just when I eat. I can eat FAR less now than I could even a month after surgery. And I can't tolerate Protein Drinks. So, I'm now getting about half the Protein I'm supposed to (and that's with drinking 2 glasses of milk a day) and struggling to get my liquids. I did this to improve my quality of life, and it has deteriorated rapidly. Doc doesn't seem to know what is going on, and is just suggesting converting to bypass to fix the reflux. But he admits that might not fix the nausea/inability to eat. So, his answer is to further reduce the size of my stomach and rearrange my intestines, which will cause more malnutrition, when he's so concerned about my lack of nutrition that he's considering putting me on a PICC line? Um, no thanks. Not untill he figures out why the hell I'm so f'ing sick.

I see him again on Friday, so I hope we can get answers. Because at this point, I'm a little scared of what my life is becoming. I'm supposed to be creating healthy eating habits, but I can barely eat anything. So I feel like I'm creating super unhealthy eating habits, just the opposite of the ones I had before.

Edited by notmyname

And I hope he steps up and starts figuring some things out! I am a recent (3 month) PICC line user (November 29 2018- February 26 2019) although I was happy with lessing of my malnourishment symptoms and believe you me, YOU CAN FEEL A DIFFERENCE, I realize now the 1400+ calories it contained slowed my weight loss almost to a stand- still. About a pound or so a month. March 1, so right after -267 pounds , now I do not own a home scale, after ichucked one in the dumpster after it refused work right, long before surgery, when I was trying to lose weight with my diet pills and was getting nowhere fast, bet I am the only person in history to take 1 month of Phenteramine and GAIN 30 pounds! So I only weigh at my PCP and surgeons offices. Drum Roll Please- March 26 2019- 234.6 pounds, my Golden Honeymoon Months may NOT be over- they always you have just so many months of smoother quicker weight loss and then things slow down. This makes me feel better about ME, see I started out in October 2017 with a highest admitted weight of 365+ , I say "plus" because I was so disheartened by how my body was " back-stabbing" my best efforts to lose, I refused to climb on another scale. Figured the the next step would be the Farmers Equity where they weigh out feeds on a massive scale. Went through a bariatric Plan for the second time, quite a story there, went almost all the way , my job was terminated, lost the insurance that would paid it and surgeon's office failed to inform me I could have gone with my secondary which had less stringent requirments and I could have had my surgery, although I was one month short of finishing Plan # 1 requirments, this was August 2015 through January 6 2016. PCP sent me back to that place again after the monster weight gain, went through all their. specifications, jumped in and out of hoops they erected, tried to act righteous, followed their " Company Rules" only to be told in February 2018 their head surgeon. no longer felt any urge to do my surgery, would not permit his 2 or 3 partners to do it either. Yep kicked" right to the curb" after he had raped my insurances of all the monies He could get. I finally got mental closure on it, God says I should forgive the Stupid Sack,of Offal, but I shall never forget! So I transferred to OSU, the place I should have gone to in the first place. Would you believe my PCP sent me to place #1 because he thought it was " Christian- Based" and what a Giant Farce that was! Went through Ohio States requirements, there were a few extras I still had to do, but in consideration of me not filing an equivalent of "Breach of Promise suit" they were forced to release all my previous records with no detrimental observations. And another thing to my benefit , Ohio State actually liked me, pledged to work with me to make my weight loss journey and surgery a Good Thing. And on September 5th 2018 I received the RnY bypass I had been struggling to receive for over 3 years. It will be forever my Wonder Wednesday, my Day of Days when all my mental pain, all my sorrows and my feelings of unworthiness went away.And I am eternally grateful for the second surgeon, he was a better person as well as a more skilled and compentant surgeon than that poor excuse for a Human Being I first encountered. As you may have guessed I have not had the easiest of healings afterwards, I am now 73 and some things just don't heal as qucickly or smoothly as they might were I In my 20s or 30s, but THEY have been with me, supportive all the way! " This isn't working? Okay we will find an alternate way of doing it!"And although I could not have forecast these 7 months they have still contained joys and successes. I am still in IT to WIN IT and the rest of my life will be the BEST of my life. This is a vow, I am seeing Onderland ahead for me, where I can break the 200 pound barrier and in the distance shining like a beacon is my Finish Line, my Victory Lane and I am going to make it THERE! My Will is STRONG, my body? Well it may be only along for the ride but we are going to make it THERE!

So I do hope Friday you get answers, and answers YOU can live with, at your doctor's office. Do let me know updates, guess because I am OLDER than dirt, I do worry about everyone else on Bariatric Pal. Maybe I am rocking my Granny- Great Granny- hood, well we all got something to rock, don't we? Makes life bouncy and interesting, we may be individuals but we are all still united in getting. thinner, better and healthier on here and isn't that just the COOLEST THING?

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

So exciting! 11 lbs is not far to go. I'm about 26lbs to goal and and started looking at PS options...I can't decide what to do first...how did you decide?

Congrats to you as well! It feels nice to be so close to goal but still doesn't feel real. I am a conversion from Lapband and my weight was never this low and still cannot wrap my mind around it. So my advice as far as plastic surgery.....Research, Research, Research....I have been looking into this for awhile because I knew at some point I would have it done, I didn't think it would be 9 months after surgery. I knew, no matter what, I wanted a Tummy Tuck and breast lift. On top of being up and down with so much weight, I have also had two pregnancies and breast fed both babies. My boobs a huge flat saggy pancakes that hang to my belly button. I thought I would have my boobs done first, then tummy tuck but I decided, after several consults with different doctors, I am going to do both together. I am also a candidate for an arm lift, inner thigh lift, and lower body lift, I said no **** lllllllll......Those are not my priorities in any way and not sure I would ever consider them...I just knew I wanted my belly and boobs...They are awful in my opinion so I will do both together, which typically both are done together if people want both, no safety issue for having to have two surgeries....

Wow, 70+ down since surgery is great! What are you all doing that I'm not?!! I get my protien(90oz) and water(100+oz). Eating 900-1200 calories a day. I even stop my 2 Snacks per day. I just started working out about a month ago that I increase my weight loss...a little disappointed because I'm only down 35lbs since surgery, went from 18 to 14.[emoji848][emoji17] but I'm still glad I got my sleeve done, however, often think if it was done correctly. My husband and surgeon encourage me that slow is better less likely it will come back...on the other hand my nutrition states I should be at least 50 lbs down. I have to kick ass before my 6mths check up on the 17th.
Nonetheless, I'm looking and fitting into to clothes is a plus, just wish a little but quicker.

Also, try Neocell collagen for Hair loss works wonders!! I get the tasteless powdered and sprinkle it on everything. The new orange flavor is good is coffee too. I've only seen that one at GNC. I've been taking since month 2 and it stop my shedding in its tracks. But I'm also not losing lbs at quicker rate so it could be that as well.
Hey all...you are doing fantastic!! Like Lolaj, I've been a slow loser. I had surgery 10/22 so I'm just over 5 months out. I was 243 that day and on 3/11 I was 207. I'm only weighing once a month per my surgeon request. It's helped me to not obsess. I have to look at my success differently...I'm off all 5 RX meds I was on for years...blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol are all normal now. I've lost 42.75" from all over my body (again, as of 3/11)...and gone from a size 20/22 to 14/16 and tops from 3XL to XL. It's a lot to feel good about. I want to get to Onederland so bad I can taste it! I'm good on quantity of food but don't always make the best choices and need to work on that til I get to goal. They expect I'll be able to get to 170 or so at least which would be awesome. I feel great. Overall it's a success! And I'm 113 pounds down from my highest weight, 78 in the last year alone...so I have to not let it bother me so much that I'm only down 36 pounds since surgery. My doctor expects that I will lose .5 to 1 pound a week until I hit the 18 month mark. So far no long stalls. And last month I was down 3lbs so he is right on the money. We will see where I'm at on 4/8. So Lolaj, hang in there....you're not alone. Sometimes I wonder if my surgery was done correctly too since I have no issues from it. No reflux, zero food intolerance or sensitivity. Nada. I'm lucky in that regard. I love seeing how you all are doing. Imagine in 6 more months!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

So exciting! 11 lbs is not far to go. I'm about 26lbs to goal and and started looking at PS options...I can't decide what to do first...how did you decide?

YOU had surgery 6 months ago and already getting a Tummy Tuck that's awesome

6 minutes ago, Yvonne47 said:

YOU had surgery 6 months ago and already getting a Tummy Tuck that's awesome

If you don't mind me asking what weight were you when you had the surgery? I don't know what it 8s but mine weight loss is moving very slow its frustrating SMH.

I'll be 6 months out on 4/11/19. Since starting this journey last April I have lost a total of 90 pounds. I lost 35 pounds before surgery including the pre-op diet and 55 pounds since surgery. I'm currently at 175 and the scale hasn't budged in over 6 weeks. I'm only 5'3" so I still have a substantial amount to lose. I'm hoping it's just my body trying to catch up. It's so nice to read everyone else's progress.

7 minutes ago, Yvonne47 said:

If you don't mind me asking what weight were you when you had the surgery? I don't know what it 8s but mine weight loss is moving very slow its frustrating SMH.

I was 227 before I started my prep diet 10 days before surgery...On the date of my surgery I was 213 I am now 166...Some of the weight I lost it was very quick but there are numbers like I was stuck at 194 for a month, I was stuck at 186 for a month, and I have been stuck at 166 for about 2 1/2 weeks.....So don't be so hard on yourself it will come off, some months are easier than others!

10 minutes ago, aapb79Gmail.com said:

I was 227 before I started my prep diet 10 days before surgery...On the date of my surgery I was 213 I am now 166...Some of the weight I lost it was very quick but there are numbers like I was stuck at 194 for a month, I was stuck at 186 for a month, and I have been stuck at 166 for about 2 1/2 weeks.....So don't be so hard on yourself it will come off, some months are easier than others!

Ohhh ok you started 9th smaller than me I was 278 before surgery I was only on the liquid diet for 2 days and lost 4lbs so before surgery I was 274 now I'm 231 been in the 40s for about 6wks and been in the 30s for about another 5wks that's what's so frustrating feel I should at least be 220 by now. I guess march didn't help I was partying every weekend due to my birthday and I just started exercising a month ago. Trying to stay positive and stay off the scale but its hard.

3 hours ago, reandrar1 said:

My 6 month is 4/25 and I’m down 76 pounds since surgery almost ONEDERLAND. I’m averaging about 12-13 per month and I not been exercising sometimes my energy level is next to nothing. I know because I’m not getting my Water or meeting calories. I will start exercising this week to meet my 6 month goal at end of month to be low 190s. I’ve lost 10 pounds since last photo

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

wow. looking good, lady. congrats on your weight losses so far ♥️

2 hours ago, Hrsnjs said:

Hey all...you are doing fantastic!! Like Lolaj, I've been a slow loser. I had surgery 10/22 so I'm just over 5 months out. I was 243 that day and on 3/11 I was 207. I'm only weighing once a month per my surgeon request. It's helped me to not obsess. I have to look at my success differently...I'm off all 5 RX meds I was on for years...blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol are all normal now. I've lost 42.75" from all over my body (again, as of 3/11)...and gone from a size 20/22 to 14/16 and tops from 3XL to XL. It's a lot to feel good about. I want to get to Onederland so bad I can taste it! I'm good on quantity of food but don't always make the best choices and need to work on that til I get to goal. They expect I'll be able to get to 170 or so at least which would be awesome. I feel great. Overall it's a success! And I'm 113 pounds down from my highest weight, 78 in the last year alone...so I have to not let iThat bother me so much that I'm only down 36 pounds since surgery. My doctor expects that I will lose .5 to 1 pound a week until I hit the 18 month mark. So far no long stalls. And last month I was down 3lbs so he is right on the money. We will see where I'm at on 4/8. So Lolaj, hang in there....you're not alone. Sometimes I wonder if my surgery was done correctly too since I have no issues from it. No reflux, zero food intolerance or sensitivity. Nada. I'm lucky in that regard. I love seeing how you all are doing. Imagine in 6 more months!!

Hrsnjs, thanks for the support. We are doing well! 113 from your highest and off 5 meds is wonderful! I have 54lbs until my goal, which could safely be accomplished by October. Funny, I too only weigh once a month... and also had zero issues or complications, we are blessed in that way. If I didn't get full off of a few bites or had incision scars I would really question if the surgery was done. Overall, the weight is coming off and it appears we may be "inch girls" rather than "scale"- what my surgeon calls it. From 20/22 to 14/16 is a great number of inches lost. You hang in there too, it will all balance out. We will look great at our 1-year post op with a low risk of the weight coming back #lostforever!

4 hours ago, notmyname said:

Well, my 5 month update (I'm really only 5 months out because I was sleeved on 10/29). I'm down 103 total, 96 since pre-op diet, 82 since surgery (appx 68% EWL since surgery). I'd take it all back if I could. I had a great first 3 months - got my protein/liquids in from around day 3, could eat most anything I tried. Now I'm sick as a f'ing dog. Luckily, I'm at least a bit better than I was at the end of February, when I cried every day from the reflux and overwhelming nausea. Doc changed my meds a bit, so the reflux is manageable and I am not nauseous all the time, just when I eat. I can eat FAR less now than I could even a month after surgery. And I can't tolerate Protein drinks. So, I'm now getting about half the Protein I'm supposed to (and that's with drinking 2 glasses of milk a day) and struggling to get my liquids. I did this to improve my quality of life, and it has deteriorated rapidly. Doc doesn't seem to know what is going on, and is just suggesting converting to bypass to fix the reflux. But he admits that might not fix the nausea/inability to eat. So, his answer is to further reduce the size of my stomach and rearrange my intestines, which will cause more malnutrition, when he's so concerned about my lack of nutrition that he's considering putting me on a PICC line? Um, no thanks. Not untill he figures out why the hell I'm so f'ing sick.

I see him again on Friday, so I hope we can get answers. Because at this point, I'm a little scared of what my life is becoming. I'm supposed to be creating healthy eating habits, but I can barely eat anything. So I feel like I'm creating super unhealthy eating habits, just the opposite of the ones I had before.

Im sorry you are having a crappy time. Did you consider maybe seeing another Dr/getting a second, third, fourth opinion?

Hrsnjs, thanks for the support. We are doing well! 113 from your highest and off 5 meds is wonderful! I have 54lbs until my goal, which could safely be accomplished by October. Funny, I too only weigh once a month... and also had zero issues or complications, we are blessed in that way. If I didn't get full off of a few bites or had incision scars I would really question if the surgery was done. Overall, the weight is coming off and it appears we may be "inch girls" rather than "scale"- what my surgeon calls it. From 20/22 to 14/16 is a great number of inches lost. You hang in there too, it will all balance out. We will look great at our 1-year post op with a low risk of the weight coming back #lostforever!

YASSSS GIRL!! AMEN!