Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

Hi Everybody,

I actually started this thread. I'm still overwhelmed by how the majority of posts are so sharing and supportive. I'm 7 weeks post-op (10/23) and overall pleased with my progress. I'm down 38 lbs since starting the process, 26 since surgery. (Want to loose another 50 or so...) I stall for a few days, then start to loose again. I've joined a health club and employed a personal trainer. The exercise makes a big difference!

I'm back on caffeine (1/2 a cup of cold brew) and a glass or two of wine. Just nothing bubbly (only made that mistake once). Try to focus on Protein when I eat and have no interest in snacking or sweets (make me feel really gross).

Already feel so much better in my own body. Can't wait to hit the beach on vacation in January!

That’s awesome. I will be 2 months out tomorrow with no real negative side effects. I’m down 30+ lbs. and VERY pleased with how this has been going. My “secrets” have been very high Protein, rigorous Portion Control, and drinking a lot of Hint Water. Exercise besides physical therapy is my next goal.

So, next week I have my first meal out. One of my employees is leaving and we're taking her to lunch. Luckily she chose a small plates place and there appear to be a couple things I'll be able to eat. So, I'm planning for it to be a success. Its a Greek place, and I really want spanikopita, but I'm going to get a shrimp dish. :) Even with the planning, I'm a bit nervous.

So, next week I have my first meal out. One of my employees is leaving and we're taking her to lunch. Luckily she chose a small plates place and there appear to be a couple things I'll be able to eat. So, I'm planning for it to be a success. Its a Greek place, and I really want spanikopita, but I'm going to get a shrimp dish. [emoji4] Even with the planning, I'm a bit nervous.
You got this! Maybe ask for a to go container and portion out what you can eat and set the rest aside so as you eat your smaller portions slow, you'll still "clear your plate". Or maybe find someone or a few someone's who will split an appetizer with you and just make that your meal and eat slow? I think it'll be a success and good practice for being out with others! The hardest part for me is always the drinking Water and timing. It's harder when not at home but I think your got this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

12 minutes ago, aussiemomdinoaunt said:

You got this! Maybe ask for a to go container and portion out what you can eat and set the rest aside so as you eat your smaller portions slow, you'll still "clear your plate". Or maybe find someone or a few someone's who will split an appetizer with you and just make that your meal and eat slow? I think it'll be a success and good practice for being out with others! The hardest part for me is always the drinking Water and timing. It's harder when not at home but I think your got this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I second that you got this! Just be mindful of what you’re eating. I always tend to talk and not pay attention to my chewing and what I’ve eaten.

In response to going out for food. I also had to go out to eat for a work function about 4 weeks after surgery. It was an Italian place that serves many courses so I was a little nervous of what my workmates would think as I’m hardly eating. So as they were all drinking alcohol I was looking at my Water glass not drinking anything in fear that it would fill me up and I couldn’t eat anything. Then the cheesy garlic bread came. I wanted some so bad but couldn’t. Then the Soup came. I could actually have this but everyone was done and I was still sipping it down and could only finish half the cup. Then it took awhile for the main Entrees to come so by then I could eat my chicken. But they gave me 4 chicken breasts. I could only eat half of one. My boss kept looking at me like why isn’t she eating. He even asked me if it didn’t taste good. Which made me feel bad because it looked like I was wasting food. I did take home the leftovers but still. It was a little awkward but still glad I went. (No one at work knows I had the surgery.). This outing made me realize how much I used to eat compared to now.

Last week I had my Christmas dinner at work too, we went in an Indian restaurant. First plate had some fried things, so I only tried one bite from something that looked not fried and then on the second dish I only had some pieces of chicken. When on the first plate the waiter looked at me really sad and asked me if I didn’t liked the food, explained to him I cannot eat anything fried and he asked me if I wanted to order something else. Too cute! I let him know I am fine will just wait for the second part :) I sat next to Colleagues I trust and they knew about the operation so they were very supportive :) only once a girl told me she feels bad I cannot eat more and I told her I am the only one who has a completely filled up stomach at that point. That made her laugh :)

Had my 6-week post op appointment today. Both my surgeon and nutritionist were happy with my progress. 24 lbs down since surgery and 34 since pre op. Cleared on everything now yay.

Been a bit since I've posted.. and I am down a good bit since my date.. which was 10/22.. but I've been pretty stagnant in my weight loss for around 3 or so weeks.. i lost a bunch in the first month.. 476 at surgery day down to 425 or so .. pretty good but I've been sitting in between 425 and 417 for the last 3 weeks.. ive started eating..

but it's nothing like before ive completely taken out sodas from my diet and am probably less than half of the total intake I was before.. and I work out twice a week now.. but still the weight isnt going down.. I'm not freaking out.. but it's just got me kind of wondering what's going on..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, chuckwalsh said:

Been a bit since I've posted.. and I am down a good bit since my date.. which was 10/22.. but I've been pretty stagnant in my weight loss for around 3 or so weeks.. i lost a bunch in the first month.. 476 at surgery day down to 425 or so .. pretty good but I've been sitting in between 425 and 417 for the last 3 weeks.. ive started eating..

but it's nothing like before ive completely taken out sodas from my diet and am probably less than half of the total intake I was before.. and I work out twice a week now.. but still the weight isnt going down.. I'm not freaking out.. but it's just got me kind of wondering what's going on..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

For starters let me say, wow on your weight loss! You’re doing great!

I know for me, I’ve been so stuck on that number on the scale for so long it’s hard to sometimes realize the other fantastic changes going on. For example, dropping clothing sizes, being able to walk upstairs without being totally out of breath and losing inches. Everyone stalls, especially when you start eating solid food again. Put the scale away and focus on all of the other positive things!

I am starting to regret that I had this surgery. My surgery dates was 10/26 and to date I have lost 28lbs which includes the two week pre diet. I had a stall which lasted 2 and 1/2 weeks and then I started losing weight again only to hit another stall now. That being said I have only lost 6lbs this entire month. I could of just done any regular diet and probably would have lost more weight than having this surgery. Feeling so Disheartened and depressed. I started to increase my calorie intake to about 600-700 per my nutritionist and I am walking 2 miles a day. I feel like a freak and don’t know what I am doing wrong.

On 12/15/2018 at 08:23, pdamoci said:

I am starting to regret that I had this surgery. My surgery dates was 10/26 and to date I have lost 28lbs which includes the two week pre diet. I had a stall which lasted 2 and 1/2 weeks and then I started losing weight again only to hit another stall now. That being said I have only lost 6lbs this entire month. I could of just done any regular diet and probably would have lost more weight than having this surgery. Feeling so Disheartened and depressed. I started to increase my calorie intake to about 600-700 per my nutritionist and I am walking 2 miles a day. I feel like a freak and don’t know what I am doing wrong.

Hi pdamoci! Don’t feel bad!! It took me a while to see pounds dropping off and I had surgery 10/1. Are you noticing any other changes? Clothes being too big? Are you getting in enough calories? That doesn’t seem like enough but I don’t count calories. Are you eating 5 times a day?

No regrets!! Stay strong :)

6 minutes ago, pdamoci said:

Wow, I'm so sorry you feel that way! I had my surgery 10/15/18 and have lost 30 lbs (maybe even less than you since I had mine earlier) and I feel awesome about it! I have never lost 30 lbs. in 2 months before. At first, losing a pound a day was awesome, but I don't think it's sustainable. I'm losing more like 2 lbs. a week now. Your walking sounds awesome. If you are getting in your Water, I bet if you increased your calories you would see more of a loss. It sounds like you could be in starvation mode to me.

25 minutes ago, pdamoci said:

First, you’re doing amazing! You and Your body is working hard.

I understand it’s hard to see big picture right now but I see the band as a tool to get us through things we wouln’t Have gotten through before. I could commit to any restrictive diet before a loose weight fast but what I couldn’t do is stay the course and push through when I hit my 3rd stall in 2 mouths. I hear your frustration-do you think you would have been able to stick to a lifestyle change right now if you didn’t have the band? I’m not saying that you wouldn’t be able to, I just know I wouldn’t be able too.

I’m also here with the sleeve after a full band slip. I lost my weight and kept it off. I thought I had the tools to maintain this for the rest of my life without the band. I didn’t. I gained a lot of my weight back in the first year.

I know I can do this with the tool because I have done it before. I also know that I will eventually make the wrong choices without the tool.

2 months post op. Down 81 pounds.

I tried the insurance route 3 times and all 3 times the ins.co would pull the no bariatric rider at the last minute. I paid out of pocket for mine, $13k. I gave them a check on 10/01 and was on the table 10/15. Dr required 2 visits. One was a “physical” more or less and the other was a sales pitch, the next day he was playing with my innards.

10/15 the day of surgery i was 381, 12/15 I’m 300.

do what your dr says and the procedure will work.

Water is critical, lots of Protein, as few carbs as possible. I try to stay under 1000 calories and 20 carbs a day, and I’m usually able to do that the key is reading labels. meat has few/no carbs- cook it simply and it’s perfect. sauces and seasonings are the devil. I use a lot of garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary. And I grill everything beef, bird, fish... everything

Dont graze eat. Figure out what you can “hold” and then only put 75% on your plate.

i guess I got lucky- I have had ZERO complications post op. No bleeding, no dumping, no major pain, nothing. I went back to work after a week off... I was bored silly sitting at home that week

I live and die by my 30oz yeti. I drink 3 cups plus a day. One before lunch, one before dinner, one before bed. Sometime I shoot some MIO or lemon in it. Somedays I have unsweet tea. I’ve been able to keep the soda and alcohol monsters away, but somedays I’d kill for a ginger ale

Pouches of tuna and salmon and chicken are easy to carry in the car or work bag.

A little thing I do is when I’m on dinner duty, I hit the free sample display at the deli. One cube of meat, one of cheese and I’m half full, keeps me from over indulging with actual dinner

for a sweet treat, sugar free popcicles are just sweet enough to do the trick. Atkins has some good low carb/high protein bars. One thing I learned is the more you pay, the better they are.

Exercise is difficult for me due to the nature of my work- I’m on a seagoing tugboat 9 months a year. So the whole boat is my gym- everything is 100 pounds or more, it’s difficult to get the cardio in though- you can walk only so many laps around my 150’ steel island.

Edited by Deepseamariner