Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

On 11/20/2018 at 05:35, JessLess said:

Well, bub, there are a lot of fat people on here and many reasons that make it harder for people to exercise ranging from not wanting to be fat shamed at the gym, family responsibilities, economics, or a disability like I have. DO NOT FAT SHAME PEOPLE HERE. It's very rude and I reported your post.

"Sorry I was just playing." Does not excuse unacceptable behavior.

Here is the link to the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrA4fgn_eg

25 minutes ago, JulieL123 said:

Thanks for sharing the link!

44 minutes ago, JulieL123 said:

Yeah, I have only watched that one so far but I thought he had a good perspective and I want his green smoothie recipe. Anyone have it?

On 11/20/2018 at 08:40, JessLess said:

Yeah, I have only watched that one so far but I thought he had a good perspective and I want his green smoothie recipe. Anyone have it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaygvBxsTiI

15 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

Hey everyone!! I am over a month out. I get bored on the treadmill/elliptical but i tell myself that they make me thirsty. 🤷🏽‍♀️ My new favorite hobby is trying new foods. I haven’t had any issues yet but every day, I try a couple new things. How is everyone feeling with Thanksgiving coming?

If you have a smartphone, there are games you can play on elliptical and treadmill. I don't even like zombies, that much, but I was super into Zombies, Run! in the past. I haven't played their other game, but it's also really highly rated (and does not have zombies in it): https://www.thewalkgame.com/

As others have mentioned, disabilities make it hard for some of us to get into the gym as much as we'd like. Arthritis and my propensity to overdo things combined such that I borked my ankle, so now I'm trying to wait for it to heal. Once it does, I'll be back on the elliptical, playing Zombies, Run!, though! It's pretty fun.

@JulieL123 thanks for the link to the video!

All: Dr. V is a pretty controversial figure around here, and not just because he curses. (I love cursing, to be clear. But I know that's a minority view.) Alex B, who runs this site, doesn't have a high opinion of him, for instance. As much as I like his style, yeah, I usually take what he says with a grain of salt.

But in this case, he's probably not wrong: the numbers I've heard in the past are that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise; that's the old wisdom, anyway. There are studies that show people don't lose weight in the gym--in part because exercise makes you hungrier. (And the machines all over-estimate how many calories you're burning.)

My own thoughts, based on extensive reading and my own experience: Going to the gym because you "should" is not going to work in the long term. Going to the gym in order to meet a goal -- to finish a 5k, to be able to lift [some arbitrary amount], to build up to that bike vacation or long hike -- is a lot more likely to happen. Going to the gym because you crave the endorphins: also a recipe for success. Going to the gym because you effing love Zumba, Water aerobics, spin class, or whatever: YES, you'll keep doing that. (Like me, enjoying the elliptical because I got to play Zombies, Run!--I was really good about going to the gym while I could do that.)

So... going to the gym for a few weeks, to see if you can build that endorphin craving, or find the activity that brings you joy? Sure, yes, a great plan.

But maybe going to the gym while you're still healing from surgery and can't go hard enough to actually generate those endorphins, or keep up with Zumba? Eh, I see there's an argument against that.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:55 PM, Bmanns01 said:

Every doctor has their own food progression plan for their patients so I'm not sure if you are eating too much or not but I do know you are not alone in the stall. My surgery date was 10/29 and I haven't lost any weight in 8 days and I'm only down 8lbs since the 29th. It's frustrating especially since my program seems to be one of the stricter ones. (I only get three small meals - 2 oz. - per day and three 8oz. Protein shakes) but I keep telling myself there is no turning back now and eating like this, there's no way this stall can last forever. I asked our nurse about it and she said for the first 4-6 weeks, the body is focused on healing more than weight loss and things will pick back up. I hope she's right and not just trying to appease me for the time being.

I had surgery 10/29 also! I gained a lot during surgery. Went into surgery at 349 and that evening when weighed I was 361 heh. I am 3 weeks and 1 day post op now and now 332. Believe it or not, I lost nearly everything the first week out. By one week out I was down to 340, one day I even lost 6 pounds. Then after the first week, I stalled for 9 days. I didn't lose one single pound. Then last week, bam, I started losing again and so far this week since last Wednesday I have lost 8 more pounds (thats in 6 days). It's amazing and exhilarating, but those 9 days that I didn't lose an ounce were so scary. I just knew I wasnt ever gonna lose anymore. I eat 3 times a day and can eat 3 to 4 oz at a time. I haven't had one single problem since the 3rd day after surgery when I finally stopped throwing up. I feel super lucky and I feel so so so glad and happy that I did this surgery. I hope I continue losing this way, and always worry that I will just stop losing weight before I am at least down to 200. I know better, but my brain wont just knock it off. I have followed my doc orders pretty much but do eat what i would call soft food now a little early instead of just pureed. I drink about 80 to 100 oz of liquids a day and my Protein is anywhere from 75 to 100 grams a day. I am getting better at sorting the protein but not perfect yet. My doc said that as long as I drink plenty of fluids, being high on protein occasionally wont be a problem, so I am just trying to get it about right as often as possible (I am recommended to have between 70 and 85 grams).

Your stall wont last forever, and I read these forums relentlessly while i was stalled so I wouldnt get too down about it, and I did get pretty down about it but didn't lose hope. And thank goodness I had good weight loss again so hopefully next stall I can ride out without feel so worried lol!! Like you said, we can't go back, only forward, so just try to take your mind off of it, and know that everyone has some pretty big worries during stalls and everyone here has made it through and still lost the weight. I just wanna lose it now lol. And we are all here for you!! I am cheering you on certainly surgery twin! Hugs and hugs and hang in there!

Good, isn't it, your kidneys were so efficient they got rid of the surgical waterload. We ought to thank them more for the behind the scenes work they do! And I am cheering for both of YOU!

I'm about to ask the ladies on this site a question maybe u guys can close your eyes lol. Question has any of you ladies developed a yeast infection from either all of the Vitamins or idk if its the Protein Drinks. But I've had one too long and I took 2 diflucans in 2 weeks and I know it has to be from something I'm taking because I normally take a diflucan and I'm good after that please if it has happened to anybody let me know or if u spoke to your Dr about it what did they say.

@Yvonne47 I had a yeast infection about a week post op. Went away after 2 diflucan then I had to take steroids for an elbow injury which caused it to come back. Again took 2 diflucan and I’ve been fine ever since. I think it was the stress of surgery that caused it initially. I’ve been fine since then (about 2 months). Hoping yours resolves soon.

And I think there was someone here today with oral thrush and having some lower bowel,pain, maybe the thrush bug is down there making them hurt.

Right.... let me join you people, I had my surgery on 23rd of October... lost 22kg since... I don’t know wether I am the only one or what but at the moment thinking more of a how to become stronger and so on instead of loosing more... maybe coz I had some messups... complications to be exact... internal bleeding, few collapses, so for first two weeks survived only on Water and drips, then third week baby food and Protein yoghurt (skyr), now already started more solid foods and some raw fruits and veggies... so no Protein Shakes whatsoever... now more or less try everything... I don’t know wether it is right or wrong but this is how I do... twice had light dumping syndrome - once from baby porridge or something that my doctor thought might work for me as it was for sensitive babies but apparently I am not one of them lol and once from something else that I won’t remember but both were just a bit sweating and heart beat raised... nothing else... so I consider myself quite lucky there... potassium level went significantly down so they say this is why I am so weak??? Is anyone else having this? Due to that internal bleeding earlier on I am not allowed any physical activity yet... can’t wait until I will ... does anyone else feels no energy? Have youbsterted on normal food? Or am I running too fast forward??? So strange when you have noone to chat? Thanks anyway I hope everyone will get where they aiming to :)

10 minutes ago, iPixie said:

Right.... let me join you people, I had my surgery on 23rd of October... lost 22kg since... I don’t know wether I am the only one or what but at the moment thinking more of a how to become stronger and so on instead of loosing more... maybe coz I had some messups... complications to be exact... internal bleeding, few collapses, so for first two weeks survived only on Water and drips, then third week baby food and Protein yoghurt (skyr), now already started more solid foods and some raw fruits and veggies... so no Protein Shakes whatsoever... now more or less try everything... I don’t know wether it is right or wrong but this is how I do... twice had light dumping syndrome - once from baby porridge or something that my doctor thought might work for me as it was for sensitive babies but apparently I am not one of them lol and once from something else that I won’t remember but both were just a bit sweating and heart beat raised... nothing else... so I consider myself quite lucky there... potassium level went significantly down so they say this is why I am so weak??? Is anyone else having this? Due to that internal bleeding earlier on I am not allowed any physical activity yet... can’t wait until I will ... does anyone else feels no energy? Have youbsterted on normal food? Or am I running too fast forward??? So strange when you have noone to chat? Thanks anyway I hope everyone will get where they aiming to :)

You lost 50 pounds in less than a month?! Kudos to you!

Sorry that you had to go through a lot of complications, hope you’re feeling better now.

I started on soft food but ate some solid with some sort of sauce on it and it’s been fine. I felt very tired the first few days due to lack of Water, but now I am doing everything I’m supposed to with no problem. I did have some trouble with mashed potatoes that got me sweaty and feeling like I had a ball in my tummy almost threw up, other than that fine. I do feel hungry even though the doctor said I wouldn’t 🤷‍♀️

I was sleeved on 10/30 and have lost 17 pounds since.