Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

10 minutes ago, beaglemom2015 said:

Hi. I am scheduled for December 11, but have a question for you guys who have already been through surgery. How soon before surgery did you stop taking medications such as Celebrex? Were there any other medications that you were required to stop taking prior to surgery? Or get other formula for - liquid? I don’t see my doc for pre-op until 2 weeks out and I don’t want there to be any surprises that might postpone surgery.

My dr had me stop my blood pressure meds two days before surgery. I would think if there was a med he/she wanted you to stop taking before the two week pre op, you’d know. Is there someone in the office you can contact with questions?

1 hour ago, KellyP2003 said:

Its happening with everything. I'm 4 weeks out. My surgery was on 17 Oct.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m sorry to hear that. My best guess is GERD. I would speak with your docto about it. I’m taking Pepcid to prevent mine but also carafate if it gets bad. Mine gets bad when I have an empty stomach but having it makes me not want to eat so it’s a bad cycle.

1 hour ago, beaglemom2015 said:

Hi. I am scheduled for December 11, but have a question for you guys who have already been through surgery. How soon before surgery did you stop taking medications such as Celebrex? Were there any other medications that you were required to stop taking prior to surgery? Or get other formula for - liquid? I don’t see my doc for pre-op until 2 weeks out and I don’t want there to be any surprises that might postpone surgery.

My doc wanted me off NSAIDs like Celebrex for two weeks before surgery. He wanted me off of methotrexate for longer, but then he had to duke it out with rheumatology, who disagreed; they ended up all agreeing to two weeks for that, as well.

I'd call, with a list of your meds handy, and ask which ones you need to stop when. There are several they'll let you take until the day before, and a few they'll have you take with a sip of Water the morning of. But there are also probably some they'd like you to avoid for more than two weeks.

My doc wanted me off NSAIDs like Celebrex for two weeks before surgery. He wanted me off of methotrexate for longer, but then he had to duke it out with rheumatology, who disagreed; they ended up all agreeing to two weeks for that, as well.
I'd call, with a list of your meds handy, and ask which ones you need to stop when. There are several they'll let you take until the day before, and a few they'll have you take with a sip of Water the morning of. But there are also probably some they'd like you to avoid for more than two weeks.
So after surgery what are you taking in place of Celebrex? My understanding is NSAIDS are not allowed at all.

3 minutes ago, kathy060464 said:

So after surgery what are you taking in place of Celebrex? My understanding is NSAIDS are not allowed at all.

I was taking high-dose ibuprofen, and I went off it before I had to (because I suspected it was doing stomach damage, and the upper endoscopy confirmed that). I've taken Tylenol since surgery, which is less effective for arthritis than an NSAID. After six months (I think), NSAIDs will be allowed again, but possibly only in small doses, as opposed to what I was doing before.

I've taken Celebrex in the past, so I know it's a little different than the old-school ones like ibuprofen. Maybe your surgeon will be OK with it sooner after surgery than the typical NSAID. It's a totally reasonable question to ask them.

I was taking high-dose ibuprofen, and I went off it before I had to (because I suspected it was doing stomach damage, and the upper endoscopy confirmed that). I've taken Tylenol since surgery, which is less effective for arthritis than an NSAID. After six months (I think), NSAIDs will be allowed again, but possibly only in small doses, as opposed to what I was doing before.
I've taken Celebrex in the past, so I know it's a little different than the old-school ones like ibuprofen. Maybe your surgeon will be OK with it sooner after surgery than the typical NSAID. It's a totally reasonable question to ask them.
Thanks! I was taking Aleve for arthritis pre-surgery. Now I'm only allowed Tylenol and as you state it doesn't do as good of job with the pain as an NSAID. My hope is the weight loss will help with the joint pain.

19 hours ago, KellyP2003 said:

So, my follow up went well. I had to eat food that I could smash with a fork and flaky fish for the week. I can move on to solid food. I'm nervous because everything I eat or drink makes me burp non stop. I dont know what's going on. This morning I couldn't finish a scrambled egg and Beans. I burped so much I ended up throwing up some. This is crazy. I even keep chewable anti gas at the dinner table and one on my nightstand.

Anyone else have this issue? Will it stop?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are not alone. I had my surgery on 10/26 and I am having the same issues. I feel like a volcano and I have been on Dexilant (anti heartburn medication) for years and its not working now.

OMG Dexilent is what I was going to escape omeprazole with, it was. what I was on prior to surgery. See on omeorazole therapy I have developed 6 ulcers, one early last winter, the rest since surgery.

Just found this site - I had my sleeve surgery on October 8, 2018. I was back at work on day 4 (desk job). Everything went great and I have lost 25 lbs in 5 + weeks.

My only complaint is my tastebuds decided to revolt and nothing I eat tastes good. I can only have 3 bites of anything, why can't those 3 bites taste good? I would rather not eat anything than suffer through something yukky. Yes, I know I must eat. It is the only complaint I have post-op. Everything else is awesome.

17 hours ago, JulieL123 said:

PSA!!

Today I had my 6 week post op appointment and was cleared for all foods except beef and raw veggies!! A good day!

I was cleared for any food I wanted - even beef - at 2 weeks.

The irony of this is... all food tastes like crap to me. I am living on crushed ice and a bite or two from a very short list of food that doesn't make me want to puke at first sight. 🤢

My surgery was on 10/08 and I am down 25 lbs.

40 minutes ago, MeriJoy said:

I was cleared for any food I wanted - even beef - at 2 weeks.

The irony of this is... all food tastes like crap to me. I am living on crushed ice and a bite or two from a very short list of food that doesn't make me want to puke at first sight. 🤢

My surgery was on 10/08 and I am down 25 lbs.

That’s crazy! 2 weeks?

All docs are so different. I think I’m on the other end of the spectrum from you. I won’t be cleared for full solids until 3 months.

1 hour ago, MeriJoy said:

Just found this site - I had my sleeve surgery on October 8, 2018. I was back at work on day 4 (desk job). Everything went great and I have lost 25 lbs in 5 + weeks.

My only complaint is my tastebuds decided to revolt and nothing I eat tastes good. I can only have 3 bites of anything, why can't those 3 bites taste good? I would rather not eat anything than suffer through something yukky. Yes, I know I must eat. It is the only complaint I have post-op. Everything else is awesome.

Yeah, my tastebuds are apethetic right now. I don’t find Joy in eating right now but I think that’s a good thing for me. It’s all about finding foods that will nourish me that don’t repulse me.

Edited by JessaK