Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

Hey there! Just had my surgery Oct. 29 and feel super alone right now. I didn't have much pain, just a lot of nausea. Had to stay in the hospital an extra day from the vomitting but now its much better, although not gone completely.

I had surgery 10/8 and it took me 10 days and the help of a laxative to go. It was probably a combination of lack of Water, lack of food and opioids slowing everything down. I've been taking Miralax regularly since then and things have been much better. I've always had slow bowels though and normally only go 1-2x a week.

Keep hanging in there everyone! I promise it gets better. I would kill for some fresh steamed veggies though. Everything tastes too salty or too sweet for me.

Hey everyone...who had their sleeve done 10/22 ish? I had mine with no issues. Surgical pain in the hospital, threw up once in the hospital when I got out of bed for the first time. Dishcharged the mornong after surgery. Narcotic pain relievers for that day and the next, tyelnol only for the following 8. Nothing for a couple of days now. I'm on full liquids and transitioning to pureed. I'm getting about 48-52oz of my Water in. No discomfort eating or drinking. Some gas pain at first was due to drinking too much too fast. I am not hungry which is so bizarre as you all know. Sometimes I wonder if they really removed my stomach. I'm having no issues with pain and eating. No BM since surgery but went a lot right before and only liquid since. I've always been a 1-2x a week person, not sure how long this should take. I'm taking colace and benefiber. I feel like a freak, I can't seem to find anyone who's had a recovery like mine yet. If anyone has been similar, let me know [emoji6][emoji106] I'm so excited for all of us. I've lost 13lbs since surgery, and my blood pressure and blood sugar has corrected. I'm already off three of the five RX meds I was on, and another has been cut in half. I'm so stoked and excited about this journey. Yay, us!
Were surgery twins.. mine was on Monday the 22nd as well. Hmm unlike what you've been experiencing I've been hungry as hell for the last few days.. its tolerable with my Protein Shakes and water.. but ya. No no. 2 for me either.. and I've been taking stool softeners as well.. no real pain to speak of besides the hunger..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery 10/8 and it took me 10 days and the help of a laxative to go. It was probably a combination of lack of Water, lack of food and opioids slowing everything down. I've been taking Miralax regularly since then and things have been much better. I've always had slow bowels though and normally only go 1-2x a week.
Keep hanging in there everyone! I promise it gets better. I would kill for some fresh steamed veggies though. Everything tastes too salty or too sweet for me.
Ya.. I had like 5 grapes last night and omg they tasted so overly sweet.. it was crazy..

On 11/02/2018 at 06:29, Georgetown said:

I had a rough time with nausea after the surgery. Mine was from the anesthesia and lasted until the next morning. Then I was ok. Good luck!

Thanks. It did last roughly 24 hours. I woke up yesterday feeling great. We went ahead and did a Gi tract X-ray and it showed everything going down correctly. I do have spasm so that could make me nervous but at least I know what it is.

Were surgery twins.. mine was on Monday the 22nd as well. Hmm unlike what you've been experiencing I've been hungry as hell for the last few days.. its tolerable with my Protein Shakes and water.. but ya. No no. 2 for me either.. and I've been taking stool softeners as well.. no real pain to speak of besides the hunger..

Hey, twin! I'm glad to hear you're doing about the same. I'm thankful to not feel hungry. Hang in there, this will be so worth it. [emoji172]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi October Sleevers! :) ... my surgery was 31/10 (sorry, from UK - we do everything the wrong way round! :) )... came home yesterday... feeling ok but already realising how much extra time I have on my hands not eating! lol

I've had an Atkins shake today and will be making a broccoli and spinach Soup with Bone Broth. I have a Nutribullet which should turn it into a smooth liquid for this stage of the diet plan. I thought I'd make enough to freeze some so I have some ready meals for the next couple of weeks. Am also going to make a green smoothie - like the one on Dr Vuong's YouTube (I love that guy!). I'll also freeze them in pots for something nutritious and easy to get to.

I've been so hung up on having a BM that I took Milk of Magnesia last night and I'm so relieved that I can tick that bad-boy's box! lol

my wounds are a little tender - I have metal clips which need to be removed next Saturday.

I'm still very much feeling my way around this new world... I'm still nervous that I'll get a complication ... I'm still nervous that it won't work on me...

I don't think I'll have the courage to tell anyone!

I've decided I need therapy to help me from sabotaging this procedure - I start it in a few weeks' time! So scared I'll revert back to my disastrous relationship with food!

This place is such a great community - I've so enjoyed reading everyone's posts and experiences! They have been invaluable...

Good luck to you/us all! :)

Hi October Sleevers! [emoji4] ... my surgery was 31/10 (sorry, from UK - we do everything the wrong way round! [emoji4] )... came home yesterday... feeling ok but already realising how much extra time I have on my hands not eating! lol
I've had an Atkins shake today and will be making a broccoli and spinach Soup with Bone Broth. I have a Nutribullet which should turn it into a smooth liquid for this stage of the diet plan. I thought I'd make enough to freeze some so I have some ready meals for the next couple of weeks. Am also going to make a green smoothie - like the one on Dr Vuong's YouTube (I love that guy!). I'll also freeze them in pots for something nutritious and easy to get to.
I've been so hung up on having a BM that I took Milk of Magnesia last night and I'm so relieved that I can tick that bad-boy's box! lol
my wounds are a little tender - I have metal clips which need to be removed next Saturday.
I'm still very much feeling my way around this new world... I'm still nervous that I'll get a complication ... I'm still nervous that it won't work on me...
I don't think I'll have the courage to tell anyone!
I've decided I need therapy to help me from sabotaging this procedure - I start it in a few weeks' time! So scared I'll revert back to my disastrous relationship with food!
This place is such a great community - I've so enjoyed reading everyone's posts and experiences! They have been invaluable...
Good luck to you/us all! [emoji4]
Good luck to you and kudos on the therapy, you're being so smart and so proactive. Everyone I know knows about my surgery. I don't love that they do, but I know it will better keep me accountable. And if they're not close friends, I don't care what they think anyways! Haha.

2 minutes ago, Hrsnjs said:

Good luck to you and kudos on the therapy, you're being so smart and so proactive. Everyone I know knows about my surgery. I don't love that they do, but I know it will better keep me accountable. And if they're not close friends, I don't care what they think anyways! Haha.

You're far braver than me! I've been so hung up on my weight for so long - and, I'm so old as well! lol - that I can't face negative comments from anyone! lol ... I will eventually tell my daughter but not sure anyone else (not even my son)

I feel really vulnerable right now... I know that sounds weird, but at the moment, I'm feeling like a failure and that feels hard to deal with ... I must be on a downer because of the anaesthetic! ha ha!

thank you for your reply! :)

You're far braver than me! I've been so hung up on my weight for so long - and, I'm so old as well! lol - that I can't face negative comments from anyone! lol ... I will eventually tell my daughter but not sure anyone else (not even my son)
I feel really vulnerable right now... I know that sounds weird, but at the moment, I'm feeling like a failure and that feels hard to deal with ... I must be on a downer because of the anaesthetic! ha ha!
thank you for your reply! [emoji4]
You're far from a failure. This is not easy and just doing what you've done is a huge deal! Stay the course, you will be fine [emoji6]

@Alpaca55 I totally get what you're feeling. My surgery date was October 29 and I came home the 30th. I initially wanted to tell family/friends what I was doing and my husband and kids (ages 16 & 19) we're all good with it. But once I attempted to break the news to those outside my home, reactions weren't all that pleasant so after attempting to tell a couple additional family members I stopped telling people.

I knew these changes were going to be hard on me so I actually signed myself up for therapy as well and had my first appointment yesterday. For the first little bit I will be going weekly until I get a handle on feeling so anxious and find a way to break off my emotional relationship with food.

Good luck and I know we got this!

@Bmanns01... so good to know I’m not alone in this... I take my hat off to all the wonderful folk on here who have been successful on their journey! 😊

Got my surgery done on 10/30, had some complications but was discharged yesterday 11/02.

Do you guys put some antibacterial ointment on the drain incision? Also, do you take off the bandage before showering and put it a new one after?

Got my surgery done on 10/30, had some complications but was discharged yesterday 11/02.
Do you guys put some antibacterial ointment on the drain incision? Also, do you take off the bandage before showering and put it a new one after?
I didn't have a drain. But when the glue fell off my incisions I did put a little Neosporin on those. Glad you're home now.

31 minutes ago, Freiabr said:

Welcome home! What were the complications? How does it feel to be home? They gave me some additional dressings for when I shower - mine are Water proof but they might need changing... not sure about the ointment...:)

Edited by Alpaca55