Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have been taking naps each day, but not overly tired. I almost lie down because I feel that is what I am supposed to be doing. Hope it resolves soon for you.

Yes, tired is one of my top complaints this week! I could close my eyes at any point during the day and fall asleep. Probably lacking in a few departments...

On 9/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, aapb79Gmail.com said:

Hello everyone! My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for 10/15 and I can’t wait. It’s been a wild ride! 12 years ago I had the lapband. I was 257 and got down to 167. I had two pregnancies and lost all of the weight right after. About 8 months ago I started having a lot of issues with the band. Long story short I have to have it removed due to erosion and have gotten back up to 225 and feeling like crap! I have lost the greatest tool I had to help me and I can’t wait until this surgery to get me back on track. I start my pre op diet on 10/1 and that is stressing me out a bit but I’ll push through. I am only hoping for no complications and a quick recovery as I have three wild and crazy kids!!! Hoping to connect with some or all of you for support and experiences!

Hi. My surgery date was 10/15, prep diet began 10/1 and my highest weight was 228.6. I don't know about you but my first 48 hours were pretty rough. My back hurt as much as my front but now that I'm 4 days postop, I'm doing pretty darn good.

On 10/18/2018 at 14:51, CaroleS said:

Hi. My surgery date was 10/15, prep diet began 10/1 and my highest weight was 228.6. I don't know about you but my first 48 hours were pretty rough. My back hurt as much as my front but now that I'm 4 days postop, I'm doing pretty darn good.

My first week was horrible! I went in for the sleeve and they found a large hiatal hernia which needed repair and I had a ton of scar tissue from the previous lapband that they removed. So I was very very nauseous. I had surgery on a Monday 10/1 and Friday I was back in the hospital for iv fluids. I was in so much pain and so nauseous I couldn’t drink. I went back to work the following Monday (I had no choice) and I also have 3 kids. So I have been tired and definitely pushing it a little too much but doing a bit better. Adding some substance other than fluids helped my nausea. I’m down 26 lbs (14 from pre op and 12 since surgery) pretty happy just wish I was stronger. And my back is killing me also still!!! It has been a roller coaster! I hope you’re doing ok and feel better.

15 hours ago, camille88 said:

Hello! I am newbie to the forum. I just had my sleeve surgery on oct 15th, I'm 2 days post op. The surgery itself went really well. I had hiatal hernia repair as well. I had a really rough time with the anesthesia but I was prepared for that part as it's always been an issue in the past. They pump up your stomach with gas and that can make the first 24 hour painful until the gas works it's way out. Now that the gas has passed, my trunk is pretty sore and my stomach is making all sorts of noises. Gurgling noises, etc. I've had a pretty bad Headache for the past couple of days and wondering if anyone had the same and how you got rid of it. I took some Advil and that didn't work. Thinking of trying exedrin Migraine next . Any ideas?

Hello. I'm a 10/15 sleeve myself. Have chronic neck pain and can't take NSAIDS for 8 weeks according to the doc. All we can take is extra strength Tylenol which doesn't do nuch. I haven't had headaches but feel your pain.

Day 4 and finally able to get some Protein Shakes, broth, popsicle, and clear Protein Drink down. The first two days was nothing but Water and Tylenol with codeine. And even that burned so much that I used it sparingly. It’s getting better now. Still really sore at a couple of incision sites. Up and walking around the house every hour, and still using my incentive spirometer. Every day it gets a little easier.

4 minutes ago, aapb79Gmail.com said:
11 minutes ago, CaroleS said:

My first week was horrible! I went in for the sleeve and they found a large hiatal hernia which needed repair and I had a ton of scar tissue from the previous lapband that they removed. So I was very very nauseous. I had surgery on a Monday 10/1 and Friday I was back in the hospital for iv fluids. I was in so much pain and so nauseous I couldn’t drink. I went back to work the following Monday (I had no choice) and I also have 3 kids. So I have been tired and definitely pushing it a little too much but doing a bit better. Adding some substance other than fluids helped my nausea. I’m down 26 lbs (14 from pre op and 12 since surgery) pretty happy just wish I was stronger. And my back is killing me also still!!! It has been a roller coaster! I hope you’re doing ok and feel better.

OMG. So sorry to hear. I also had a hiatal hernia but it was small. They sent nausea meds home with me that I took for one day. Little pills that dissolve under tongue. You are certainly a trooper going back to work so soon and well on your way to your goal. Keep up the great work. Hopefully you will feel better soon!

37 minutes ago, CaroleS said:

Hi! My surgery was 10/16 had a rough time with the anesthesia. Keeper dry heaving. Couldn’t keep anything down. Yesterday went much better and I was able to leave the hospital. Today I’ve been resting. Went for a few walks. Not to much pain just a lot of gas and burping when I drink. I’m trying to get in the Protein drink and Water but I’m not stressing about it. I don’t have to much pain at all. Just feel a little sore. Best of luck in your recovery!

1 hour ago, reandrar1 said:

Got my surgery date 10/25/18 I’m excited and nervous

Hi reandrar1. That’s so exciting! I just had my surgery on Tuesday. Doing ok. Not to much pain. Good luck to you!

I’m 5 days post op and feelin pretty good. The antibiotics they gave me make me feel nauseous but I only have to take them 3 more times at night so I’ll get through it. Other than that, I can pretty much do my normal activities, with just a little soreness.

It’s hard to get all my liquids in, in fact haven’t quite made it up to 1 litre a day yet but I’m working on it. I’m not hungry so it’s hard to keep reminding myself to drink.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:23 AM, CrankyMagpie said:

Hey, just checking in (I read back through the thread to see how folks are doing. Thank you all for the well-wishes and condolences. ❤️

I just successfully ate my first cottage cheese since surgery (10/3), and I've done fine with Greek yogurt and ricotta (with just a little Italian seasoning and low-fat Trader Joe's pizza sauce, because that's what I have on hand). Balancing my nutritionists' "try to eat three meals per day" with "get more than 60 grams of protein" and "don't drink within half an hour of eating" and "get more than 64 ounces of liquid" is ... a lot, especially with going back to school and dealing with family stuff. I'm not getting all that much Protein from my food, because I'm only eating a couple of tablespoons, maybe, per "meal." I know it gets easier, and if I'm only at 55 grams of Protein One day (or, like ... three?) it won't kill me or make all of my hair fall out. I'm not freaked out about it, just sharing the struggle, I guess.

My Vitamins make me a little sick, though as the amount of food I can eat increases, so does my tolerance for them. It'll work itself out.

Also, I joked to my spouse, before surgery: "I'm ready for all kinds of complications, so the one I end up with will be one I didn't think of." Yeah. Uh. I was allergic to something they used during the surgery. About a week afterward, I broke out in hives all over my torso and the tops of my thighs. My surgeon isn't very helpful: "try taking Benadryl, and if that doesn't work I'll order a steroid block for you, but I don't want to do that." (Steroids wreak havoc on post-surgical healing.) I've looked for information online, and most people get over them on their own, so I'm making due with hydrocortisone cream (it's a steroid, but only a low amount of it, and on my skin instead of being taken as a pill), Aveeno eczema-strength lotion (has a lot of oats in it, which are good for this kind of thing), and Benadryl at night. So... that's been awful. (They are very itchy hives. It's terrible.)

I can drink pretty normally again, now. I don't have to have these itty-bitty sips. I think gulping would hurt, and I make sure not to do that, but normal-size mouthfuls feel good. So... that's what just under two weeks out looks like, for me.

Try the vitamin patches instead of the pills. No nausea!

13 minutes ago, katiemarie22 said:

I’m 5 days post op and feelin pretty good. The antibiotics they gave me make me feel nauseous but I only have to take them 3 more times at night so I’ll get through it. Other than that, I can pretty much do my normal activities, with just a little soreness.

It’s hard to get all my liquids in, in fact haven’t quite made it up to 1 litre a day yet but I’m working on it. I’m not hungry so it’s hard to keep reminding myself to drink.

Hi katiemarie22. I’m feeling it difficult to get all my fluids in too. I’m trying not to stress about it. I’ll get there. I just had a popsicle and it quenched my thirst. The little sips of liquid hurt a little when going down and make me burp a lot. Best of luck in your recovery!

I keep reading about people having difficulty swallowing sips of water/fluid and I am having none of that. I can't/don't guzzle, but can swallow mouthfuls (about three swallows worth of/per mouthful) consecutively with seconds in between. Again, I fear that I had the placebo sleeve! 😒😅😁

19 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I keep reading about people having difficulty swallowing sips of water/fluid and I am having none of that. I can't/don't guzzle, but can swallow mouthfuls (about three swallows worth of/per mouthful) consecutively with seconds in between. Again, I fear that I had the placebo sleeve! 😒😅😁

Lucky you! I just said to my husband I wish I could take a good sip of water! I’m sure I’ll get there! Everyone’s body is different!

(10/2 sleeved) The small sips and swallows improve really quickly. My first week I had a hard time with Water and a drinking most things now I have no problems drinking and almost taking regular sips. So much changes every day! I’m ready for some substance but I have to wait until Tuesday! 😡 I am traveling from Dallas to Chicago this weekend for a wedding so please wish me luck around all of the good food and alcohol!! I really want a glass of wine!