Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

Hello! I am newbie to the forum. I just had my sleeve surgery on oct 15th, I'm 2 days post op. The surgery itself went really well. I had hiatal hernia repair as well. I had a really rough time with the anesthesia but I was prepared for that part as it's always been an issue in the past. They pump up your stomach with gas and that can make the first 24 hour painful until the gas works it's way out. Now that the gas has passed, my trunk is pretty sore and my stomach is making all sorts of noises. Gurgling noises, etc. I've had a pretty bad headache for the past couple of days and wondering if anyone had the same and how you got rid of it. I took some Advil and that didn't work. Thinking of trying exedrin Migraine next . Any ideas?

NSAIDS are not good on healing stomachs, that's why Tylenol is recommend insteadm

30 minutes ago, camille88 said:

I took some Advil and that didn't work. Thinking of trying exedrin Migraine next . Any ideas?

Don't take any more Advil until after you've talked to your surgeon. I'm not supposed to take it for something like 3 months. Don't take Excedrin either. If your surgeon prescribed you some kind of pain med, that's OK, and Tylenol is OK, but those are your only safe options right now.

Are you hydrated? Try getting more liquids in; that should help the headache.

35 minutes ago, Anglkrys2 said:

On week 2 and chewing food and spitting it out! 😭😭😭

Been there done that. This puréed food thing is getting real old. I need some real food in my belly!

@camille88. You sound EXACTLY like the things I experienced. My surgery was on the 11th. My stomach made sounds too and kinda freaked me out. Lol. I think it's pretty normal. I had lots of trouble getting anything down first 6 days and the Migraine was awful. I started drinking Propel for the electrolytes and it stopped the headaches. I'm on day 7 and things are actually starting to feel better.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:49 PM, CrankyMagpie said:

October 3rd! I'm nervous! And also excited!

Btw, thanks for labeling this thread "2018." There are two other October threads that don't have the year marked, and I really hope some of us stay in touch through 2019 and 2020, at least. No sense in confusing next year's sleevers!

How are things going? How are you feeling?

Had my surgery done on the 16th of this month, the same day I developed extreme shivers that lasted over six hours, and my blood pressure dropped to 60/30, and my heart rate was in the 170's. I freaked out just about all of the nurses that were staffed on that floor, and had about 4 with me the entire time that was going on. The weird thing about the shivers is that I wasn't cold, and I was in fact sweating so much that I had to get changed about four times, and same with all my bedding. Of course the shivering also messed with my incision lines, as they kept having to changed bandages with all the bleeding.

Getting my pain under control has been a nightmare, as they aren't willing to give me most IV painkillers in fear of it causing another shivering episode, that also goes with the nausea medicine. So far all the meds I have are in liquid form, which is really hard to take when your stomach is rebelling so much. I'm hoping that the pain and discomfort will go away in the next few days. But so far the entire process has been pretty miserable.

Hi all! I’ve been sleeved! I’m currently in my hospital bed. My incisions/stomach aren’t too painful but I’m sure the pain meds I’m on are helping. I’ve been very nauseous since surgery so it’s been difficult to keep liquids down. My blood pressure has been high, an issue that i did not have before. I have to drink 8oz without nausea to be released. Walking has been pretty easy and my energy level is much better than yesterday. I have a huge room to myself and i appreciate the kind nurses. I haven’t made a mess for them yet, fingers crossed that i don’t. I’m so thankful to be apart of this process; it’s been a long time coming. Good luck to everyone and smooth recoveries to all!

Surgery was yesterday. Other than feeling like I did 200 sit-ups, I am feeling just fine this morning!

33 minutes ago, Jlh2350 said:

Surgery was yesterday. Other than feeling like I did 200 sit-ups, I am feeling just fine this morning!

Mine was Tuesday. I feel a little sore but not to bad!

My VGS was Mon. I spent two nights in the hospital. My doctor tried it through my navel (my request) but told me it was hard at my BMI. I have another small incision. The pain has been the worst but I'm doing well getting all the Water in and some of the liquid meals. I've been moving a lot inside but going out in the freezing weather seems daunting.

11 hours ago, camille88 said:

How are things going? How are you feeling?

I'm now a little past two weeks out. I was allergic to something they used during the surgery, and I broke into hives all over my torso a week out. I'm still dealing with that, though I think maybe it's getting a little better now. My incisions are all looking good, no pain to speak of.

I'm on soft/puree foods (my team doesn't make a distinction) and have worked my way through Greek yogurt, ricotta, cottage cheese, and refried Beans. I'm a little afraid to make the jump to chicken, baked fish, or canned tuna. Or eggs--I don't "soft cook" eggs; I cook them all the way through, so I was planning to keep holding off on those for a bit. But I know once I get some kind of denser Protein source in my daily life, I won't have to drink so many Protein Shakes. That's a pretty big enticement.

Drinking enough liquid is only hard because I have to stop half an hour on either side of eating, and I'm still sleeping a lot. But I can drink normal (pre-op) amounts, per sip, as long as I don't actually gulp.

I can walk a mile, if there are benches where I can stop and rest for a few seconds here and there. (I needed that pre-op, too, because of arthritis. My arthritis is less bad at the moment; now, I stop mostly because I'm still not supposed to be getting out of breath, and most of the places to walk around here have hills.)