Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

Got my surgery date today...October 11th. Starting the Pre-op diet tomorrow and officially cutting ties with coffee tonight. Excited, but nervous at the same time.
Same date as me . It's coming quickly and I'm getting nervous.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

We've got this gang! So wonderful to have such a community to rely on! My surgery has been moved, one day, to 10/23. I've announced my medical leave at work (although I just said major surgery, not gastric sleeve. I think they all think I'm getting a hysterectomy!) coffee and sodas are long gone. Start the (mainly) liquid diet on Oct 8, but have been substituting in Protein Shakes at Breakfast already. We'll see. Giving up wine 10/1. It's so heartening to read your posts and to feel like we're in this together!

Updated list of October sleevers' surgery dates. Reminder: don't quote this whole post to get met to add you; just @ me or really just comment in this thread, and I'll see it :)

Oct 1:
@aapb79Gmail.com
@chicagogirl74
@chuckwalsh
@clara1900
@irishgal21
@JennieJuniper
@momofmjbm
@Red Alicia
@Yare_2018

Oct 2:
@cindy t
@Deanayeah
@Lizzieming
@Marla522
@nikoleroze
@Oct517

Oct 3:
@boringtessa
@crankymagpie
@mamadownsizing
@sekud02

Oct 4:
@AriesMary25
@btrfly
@kerbear1980
@rnchaveri1
@sleevemebaby7781
@swisskath

Oct 5:
@Suesloosinit

Oct 8:
@Crystalmartin82
@jhojho90

Oct 9:
@bigcurt
@mailchickie76

Oct 10:
@busyforever
@fandangle
@MeeAhhh
@oct102018

Oct 11:
@aussie Ange
@healthygirl05
@kathy060464
@UncleBeezy
@willowfinely

Oct 12:
@afer0841
@zpratt

Oct 14:
@katiemarie22

Oct 15:
@allyb15
@annaisbananas
@MegsNiko (or maybe the 17th?)
@recreating_courtney

Oct 16:
@2shea
@beccaconaty87
@br3n
@Thisismytime

Oct 17:
@Chello219
@JustKeepSwimming
@OpsMatt

Oct 18:
@shazz73

Oct 22:
@clb164
@kimberlymi
@laceco

Oct 23:
@kdiddle31
@tahoegirl96118

Oct 24:
@Beachladee3
@GirlShrinking
@tuttlemomma

Oct 25:
@AndreaK.
@kiwiangel23

Oct 29:
@jflower88
@kjallen

Oct 30:
@sleevegirl88

Oct 31:
@relaxrelaterelease

Hi, Due to have my sleeve October the 5th!
Nervous about the surgery itself to be honest having a bmi of 62, I think once the surgery is over and I’m awake!! I’ll be fine.
I was just wondering what everyone was doing about Vitamins post op, I’ve bought some bassets chewable but think there are probably better options out there??
Thanks in advance for any advice.

5 hours ago, rafc100 said:

Hi, Due to have my sleeve October the 5th!
Nervous about the surgery itself to be honest having a bmi of 62, I think once the surgery is over and I’m awake!! I’ll be fine.
I was just wondering what everyone was doing about Vitamins post op, I’ve bought some bassets chewable but think there are probably better options out there??
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi there, Im Oct 5th too =) Im on liquid diet right now and its sucking so bad (i hate shakes) Im told that the Dr will tell you when to take the Vitamins. I just checked in my book and it says the day we go home to start them but Drs programs vary. I have a couple of friends who have done this and they tell me all different vitamins...I just looked at what the Dr said and went from there...all chewable! I did get a couple of different types as Ive read on here that some can make you sick so Im keeping my fingers crossed the ones I have dont!

On 09/26/2018 at 08:48, Crystalmartin82 said:

I have not stopped drinking coffee!! No one told me I couldn’t drink it. I start liquid diet on Monday. I don’t even know what to do without coffee!!!!
My understanding is that a few months post surgery, caffeine can be reintroduced to the diet. Caffeine is a diuretic and dehydration is the most common cause of rehospitalization after surgery. That is why most doctors have you give up caffeine until you are back on a “normal” food, hydration, and Vitamin regimen post surgery.

3 minutes ago, Crystalmartin82 said:

I have not stopped drinking coffee!! No one told me I couldn’t drink it. I start liquid diet on Monday. I don’t even know what to do without coffee!!!!

I changed to Decaf which they said was ok, but I have to have milk in it, dunno what Im going to do for the last 3 days of clear liquids only, cant imagine Powerade for brekkie lol

On 09/26/2018 at 08:48, Crystalmartin82 said:

Try Syntax nectar Lattes line.. tastes like the real thing!!!!

2 hours ago, Crystalmartin82 said:

My team doesn't require that we stop coffee, either. It's fine. The diuretic effects are strong for people who don't drink coffee much, but if you're a regular coffee drinker, the effect is minimal.

Acid is a concern, so I went ahead and weaned myself off. I mean, I was still having two cups of tea for caffeine as of yesterday, so maybe that past-tense verb isn't accurate. :) Anyway, when I venture back into Coffee Land, post-op, I'm going to start with cold brew concentrate or pick up one of the low-acid coffee blends they sell here. (Though I'm not sure? if any of them are bird-safe? I'll have to look into it.)

One added benefit of not drinking coffee is that it's easier to hit your goals with hydrating fluids, early on.

So, if your team doesn't ban coffee, you aren't alone. And you can decide how you want to handle that!

On 09/26/2018 at 10:49, CrankyMagpie said:

My team doesn't require that we stop coffee, either. It's fine. The diuretic effects are strong for people who don't drink coffee much, but if you're a regular coffee drinker, the effect is minimal.

Acid is a concern, so I went ahead and weaned myself off. I mean, I was still having two cups of tea for caffeine as of yesterday, so maybe that past-tense verb isn't accurate. :) Anyway, when I venture back into Coffee Land, post-op, I'm going to start with cold brew concentrate or pick up one of the low-acid coffee blends they sell here. (Though I'm not sure? if any of them are bird-safe? I'll have to look into it.)

One added benefit of not drinking coffee is that it's easier to hit your goals with hydrating fluids, early on.

So, if your team doesn't ban coffee, you aren't alone. And you can decide how you want to handle that!

Oh good!! I hoped I hadn’t just missed that information somewhere. It can’t hurt to ween away from it. But coffee is my friend and everyone around me will be happier if I have it. 🤣🤣

Just wondering about two things here. Has anyone’s doctor said they are sending them home with no pain meds? I had my pre op yesterday and the nurse told me that and I asked why and she said I’ll only need Tylenol. Also, on my upper GI showed a moderate amount of reflux so doctor asked me if I wanted to switch to having the bypass. I do not want to switch but they said reflux could get worse. I am praying not. Feeling a little uncertain today. I am on day 8 of liquids. I lost 10 pounds. I am starving to death and just scraped I’m going to come home
In toms of pain and having worse reflux than I do. Ugh so much to worry about

17 minutes ago, aapb79Gmail.com said:

Just wondering about two things here. Has anyone’s doctor said they are sending them home with no pain meds? I had my pre op yesterday and the nurse told me that and I asked why and she said I’ll only need Tylenol. Also, on my upper GI showed a moderate amount of reflux so doctor asked me if I wanted to switch to having the bypass. I do not want to switch but they said reflux could get worse. I am praying not. Feeling a little uncertain today. I am on day 8 of liquids. I lost 10 pounds. I am starving to death and just scraped I’m going to come home
In toms of pain and having worse reflux than I do. Ugh so much to worry about

Thats my issues as well... my barium swallow showed small amount of acid reflux and surgeon wants me to consider switching but thinks either one will be okay still, but im worried ill come home with awful reflux