Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GERD but want to have sleeve

I have my last appointment with my doctor on Friday. I'll have to make my final decision on which surgery. I've been pretty firm on wanting the sleeve (and not wanting the RNY). He said he'd be willing to do the sleeve, but that there is a chance my GERD would get worse and I'd have to have it revised into a RNY. Anyone have GERD before surgery and have a good result? Thanks!

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Many on here have needed revisions due to reflux. If you already have GERD I would strongly reconsider just starting with the RNY.

Why go through two surgeries?

What are your reservations?

I had GERD before my sleeve and I was worried when I read how many people get worse. However, I haven't. In fact, I've gotten better. I think it may have to do with me really focusing on not over eating as well as eating more slowly and chewing more than before the sleeve. My sleeve is still really new but I'm allowed to eat anything I want as long as I stay in my calorie guidelines and get my Protein goals.

With that being said, I think if I had know about the possibility of it getting worse before hand, I would have talked more with my doc about RNY and if that would have been an option for me, I would have gone that route.

Edited by photogirl70

My reservations really have to do with the fact that the couple people I know who have had RNY have had really, really bad experiences and the couple people I know who have had the sleeve have had good ones. Mentally, I know that this is just anecdotal. But it just makes me concerned. And I've read that the RNY has worse side effects than the sleeve, even if the chance of side effects are low.

Well there are thousands of people that have RNY without incident. It is certainly worth giving it serious consideration if your only reservation is from a few people considering the long term success of many.

Was it a surgeon issue? Your answers are a bit vague.

Didn't have it before surgery. Was sleeved 10 days ago and I had gerd last night for the first time. Probably has to do with the sugar free popsicles I had a half hour before bedtime. Omeprozal works for me.

-EQ

The choice is yours it appears but:

Are you willing to have multiple scopes, swallow tests, dialiations and metabolic surgeries?

Or fight insurance companies to get the revision approved?

Or pay for it out of pocket if not approved but necessary say if your insurance and policy changes?

Or regaining because your GERD derails your efforts by making it impossible to tolerate anything but Carby foods (this is what I see alot of regain/GERD revisers claim, not sure if it's true)?

Or the risks of having RNY at a lower weight if you lose the weight necessary but develop issues?

You may have smooth sailing but perhaps not. I strongly suggest weighing the risks and positive outcomes of both procedures and go with the safest for you.

I had GERD and it has progressed to Barrets Esophagus.

I was sleeved on 4/12/18. I haven’t had an issue since surgery. I have been able to come off of my meds. I will have an EGD in a few weeks to see how everything is going.

Thanks all. Lots to think about. I've done a lot of research, but appreciate the first hand experiences.

I had horrible GERD before surgery but after my GERD went completely away. I was one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Had GERD before the sleeve and it had gotten worse after the sleeve. So bad to the point I would throw up until yellow bile came up. This is one of many reasons why I'm getting a revision [Duodenal Switch] done in a few weeks.

I had GERD prior to surgery. After a month post op it subsided and went away. Haven't had any problems with GERD at all since my WLS.

This is a tough one bc there is no guarantee how your body will react.

I had the sleeve, but totally would have had RNY if I had GERD preop. I had terrible GERD when I was pregnant and I never want to go through it again! I have serious compassion for all of you out there with chronic GERD.

You said you read a lot of research. Just curious, have you read any that included the elevated risk of esophageal cancer with chronic GERD?

You can write down how bad your GERD is now, how controllable it is now with medication, how long have you had it, you could have a hiatal hernia making it worse, you could have h. pylori bacteria in your gut, is it situational (eating late and then sleeping, only with italian sausage, only with spicy food, could it be the gall bladder?, eating until really stuffed, drinking a lot of citrus/soda pop, coffee, etc).

Your surgeon can do the EGD, and see what everything looks like and estimate the outcome to be favorable or not for the sleeve. Maybe your GERD is controllable, or maybe it isn't.

Don't let anyone badger you into the decision, make an informed decision based on what you know about your body. There are many factors dependant on your physical health now, your age, your genetics, whether you take medication, etc etc.

Asking forum members will get you 'everyone's personal opinion and personal experience', it really will not validate your decision.