Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

55 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I'm not sure why this would make you sad.

I know IF reduces my hunger. I know IF makes it easier for me to eat fewer calories in a day. I know that being at a healthy BMI is greatly beneficial to my overall health.

There has been some research that has shown a plethora of other benefits from IF, including reducing insulin resistence, reducing inflamation, increases autophagy, etc.. But this research is still relatively new and studies haven't been definitive as of yet.

So I'll take the benefits I know. If there are additional, as of yet unproven benefits, I'll take those as well. It's a pretty clear win-win IMO.

To quote @GreenTealael:

"Yasssssssss!!!!"

This is a very well-thought and awesome response. TY! Cuz it really makes it clear for everyone who even stumbles into this thread. It's exactly that...regardless of motivation or even initial motivation...it's not like the "possible health benes" are with held from you if you have a motivation of "weight loss only." Even if you do it "wrong" by some person's definition...I don't think the benes are withheld. JMO. IF is too Fluid.

Edited by FluffyChix

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:

There has been some research that has shown a plethora of other benefits from IF, including reducing insulin resistence, reducing inflamation, increases autophagy, etc..

It makes me sad because so few people seem to see the benefits you write about.

Same with exercise, btw.

10 hours ago, summerset said:

It makes me sad because so few people seem to see the benefits you write about.

Same with exercise, btw.

I am going to get Jason Fung's book, "Intermittant Fasting," which I expect will be just as good as his book, "The Obesity Code" which gives so much good information about what actually makes people fat. Another really good one is "Younger Next Year for Women" which is a take off on the original "Younger Next Year." This is an excellent break down on the physiology of exercise and how much amazing stuff it does for us. Just got my labs back and my HDL cholesterol is over 70! That's just from exercise over the past 6 months.

I think I am going to start IF now that I am 6 mos PO and I have one question-- I still drink a cup of coffee in the AM and I am still on my PPI -- I think I have to start weening myself off of that this month ...boo. It's like my security blanket for some reason. Anywho- what do you drink in the AM if you are doing IF- I am not supposed to have black coffee. I used to only drink coffee black but since surgery I have gotten used to a little SF Creamer.

On 08/08/2019 at 07:09, CurvyMom said:

I think I am going to start IF now that I am 6 mos PO and I have one question-- I still drink a cup of coffee in the AM and I am still on my PPI -- I think I have to start weening myself off of that this month ...boo. It's like my security blanket for some reason. Anywho- what do you drink in the AM if you are doing IF- I am not supposed to have black coffee. I used to only drink coffee black but since surgery I have gotten used to a little SF Creamer.

I’m also just hitting 6 months PO and the awesome people here who’ve done IF have told me that an ounce or two of milk probably doesn’t count as “breaking fast” unless you’re going totally purist—which I’m not because I NEED that morning coffee most days.

Anyway, I’m proud of myself because I’ve been sticking to 18:6 all week and have my day planned for today.

Just now, Sheribear68 said:

I’m also just hitting 6 months PO and the awesome people here who’ve done IF have told me that an ounce or two of milk probably doesn’t count as “breaking fast” unless you’re going totally purist—which I’m not because I NEED that morning coffee most days.

Anyway, I’m proud of myself because I’ve been sticking to 18:6 all week and have my day planned for today.

I hate milk LOL but I will use some sort of cream or something- just not milk per say---

that is good to know. I need to plan my day out then. I don't really eat consistently or enough because I am not hungry and get full so fast but I need to do better. So maybe this will help :)

So do you eat between noon-6pm? I just had a few bites of chicken salad so technically i could all of my meals within the next 6 hours and be fine. But I am stuffed at the moment. I could probably do OMAD but it wouldn't be enough food :(

Hi all, I'm thinking of doing IF. Probably doing 11-8pm to start with and see how I go.

Quick question... when you do the fast, do you then start with Breakfast and go on to lunch and dinner, or are you supposed to skip the first meal?

13 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I am going to get Jason Fung's book, "Intermittant Fasting," which I expect will be just as good as his book, "The Obesity Code" which gives so much good information about what actually makes people fat. Another really good one is "Younger Next Year for Women" which is a take off on the original "Younger Next Year." This is an excellent break down on the physiology of exercise and how much amazing stuff it does for us. Just got my labs back and my HDL cholesterol is over 70! That's just from exercise over the past 6 months.

Love both of those books!!! So easy to read and pretty profound!!

August 8th

16/8 and alternating days. I worked out fasted this morning. 11:00am time to eat.

I’m not sure if I’m doing IF correctly, still reading up on it. I’ve increased my healthy fats a bit and I’m feeling fantastic. The scale is moving fast. (water weight and hot weather) I am wondering if it’s also IF. I have basically been eating my same maintaining diet for years.

I am drinking coffee in the morning with PP, lemon Water with Pink Himalayan salt and Tea. I am so hydrated I am peeing constantly.

1 minute ago, Healthy_life2 said:

August 8th

16/8 and alternating days. I worked out fasted this morning. 11:00am time to eat.

I’m not sure if I’m doing IF correctly, still reading up on it. I’ve increased my healthy fats a bit and I’m feeling fantastic. The scale is moving fast. (water weight and hot weather) I am wondering if it’s also IF. I have basically been eating my same maintaining diet for years.

I am drinking coffee in the morning with PP, lemon Water with Pink Himalayan salt and Tea. I am so hydrated I am peeing constantly.

Yay!!! Congrats!!! Some of it is Water, and you will lose quickly at first, but some is also fat. :) So glad you feel good and are fully hydrated! IF is really kinda magical!

So when you say alternating? What are you doing differently on alternating days?

Today is an UP day--no fasting. Super stressful here.

Going to a Neil Diamond Cover Band concert tonight with friends and think I will split a chicken salad with Mr. F and indulge in a glass of wine. So cals will be up and up! LOL.

41 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yay!!! Congrats!!! Some of it is Water, and you will lose quickly at first, but some is also fat. :) So glad you feel good and are fully hydrated! IF is really kinda magical!

So when you say alternating? What are you doing differently on alternating days?

Two days 18/6 I eat at 11:00 am. Next day eat at 7:00am (repeat the process) Basically eating the same but add grains/carbs on my 7:00am day. I’m still learning *laughing* I watched a video on IF for people over 40. It’s a work in progress. 😉

1 minute ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Two days 18/6 I eat at 11:00 am. Next day eat at 7:00am (repeat the process) Basically still eating the same. I’m still learning *laughing* I watched a video on IF for people over 40. It’s a work in progress. 😉

Lots of great links to YouTube videos in the back pages of this thread. It is totally a process. :D Congrats girl. Glad it's working!!

Anyone, anyone? Just wondering if you are supposed to miss a meal if you start your day eating at 11am. Or, can someone point me in the right direction of where to look to get the basics of the overnight fasting?

1 hour ago, froufrou said:

Anyone, anyone? Just wondering if you are supposed to miss a meal if you start your day eating at 11am. Or, can someone point me in the right direction of where to look to get the basics of the overnight fasting?

*Usually* you only eat within your window and drink cal free items outside of it. That's the hardcore approach. So how you divide up your meals are totally up to you (e.g. BF 12noon, L 3pm, D= 6pm or BF= 11am, L= 2pm, D=5pm) Sometimes you may miss a meal because you're not hungry (dare to dream)

But WLS folk , especially early on, strive to hit the right amount of Protein macros. (I didnt care so much as i could easily get it all from food if I wanted)

Some YT Gurus also question if timing matters

But totally choose a window that works well with your life otherwise it will be hard to sustain.

Here are a few helpful videos (about timing of meals and if it matters)

These three put out a lot of material so check out their other stuff too