Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

I was doing IF before surgery and just haven't felt I could get all my food in if I restarted it too soon post op. Now, however, (5 months out) it is working well for me. It's really hard on work days because when I get hungry (about 11 am) I can get shaky and mentally foggy real fast. I can't stop to eat. So I have been taking a Premier Protein shake and putting it at my work station. Around 11 am I drink 1/3 to 1/2 of it and that gets me through to lunch just fine. It has so little carbs that I don't think it elevates insulin levels very much at all. Then I eat my lunch and eat dinner when I get home. If the day goes long and I start getting hungry, I drink the rest of the shake. That gets me home in good shape and I am not so ravenous that I am grabbing everything in sight. So I am basically doing a 17/7 plan. My weight loss started slowing down significantly since I am getting closer to goal (!!!!!!!!!!!!), and I think the IF has prevented a stall and has kept the weight loss going.

How do you break your fast? Regular meal or something light? I am finding that my pouch is protesting a regular meal after 16 hours of empty.

Thanks so much. Lots of good info and ideas. I have done well when my first meal has been half a Protein Drink, or some yoghurt/protein powder/berries, or a green smoothie. I did NOT do well today when my first meal was a salmon patty with kimchi, beets, and a yucca pod pickle. It was too heavy and the texture was too tough. That would make a better second meal.

11 hours ago, AZhiker said:

How do you break your fast? Regular meal or something light?

Nothing especially light but I tend to get full with less.

I have been very faithful with IF for the past couple of weeks. My problem is that I have too much energy which is causing insomnia. I feel like an energizer bunny and can't turn the switch off. I know there are hormonal changes, including some sleep hormones that affected by IF, but this is crazy. I used to average 7 hrs sleep/night, but now only getting 5 or less. I wake up full of energy and can go all day. I do not feel sleep deprived at all. Mentally, I am alert and happy - almost euphoric.

Anyone else experience this? If so, when does it let down? Not that I'm complaining - I'm getting a lot done and my weight loss continues. But I don't feel quite normal. However, maybe this is what normal is supposed to feel like. I have having labs drawn tomorrow morning, so will see what the thyroid is doing.

Hahaha funny you posted here. I decided it's been enough time since the surgery, to go back to my weekly rotation with IF. :) Gosh, I've missed it and I honestly think my body needs it to stay "normal." Are you doing any kind of TRE or IF?

Is anyone still really doing it?

I'm gonna start again on Monday. I think I'm just gonna do my baby steps and try to do an 16:8 or 18:6 and CRE of 500cals. Then have another DD on Tuesday to make it about a 60hour period. Then Wednesday would up cals again.

Still not IF-ing here, since I'm maintaining without it.

But somewhere back in this thread I posted about my mom doing IF. Well she has now lost over 30 lbs and is into a normal BMI range. She hasn't been this thin in 30 years! She is insanely pleased with herself (as she should be). She's wanting to lose another 5 lbs or so, not more than 10 lbs. She didn't lose the weight through IF alone. She has basically been on our post WLS diet, 800 cals max, 60 g Protein (with cheat days). But the IF has made it really easy for her to eat so little, but not be hungry. She said it is by far the easiest diet she has ever been on (and she's done them all over the years!)

So I am still vicariously IF-ing! 🤣

No true IF for me yet. I need to settle into things first before i think about biohacking my way to immortality.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

However I truely believe IF has contributed to my more youthful appearance over the past year. People are constantly saying I look so/too young for xyz

Even my family members have commented that I seem to have aged in reverse 😍🙌🏆

Edited by GreenTealael

On 7/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, AZhiker said:

I have been very faithful with IF for the past couple of weeks. My problem is that I have too much energy which is causing insomnia. I feel like an energizer bunny and can't turn the switch off. I know there are hormonal changes, including some sleep hormones that affected by IF, but this is crazy. I used to average 7 hrs sleep/night, but now only getting 5 or less. I wake up full of energy and can go all day. I do not feel sleep deprived at all. Mentally, I am alert and happy - almost euphoric.

Anyone else experience this? If so, when does it let down? Not that I'm complaining - I'm getting a lot done and my weight loss continues. But I don't feel quite normal. However, maybe this is what normal is supposed to feel like. I have having labs drawn tomorrow morning, so will see what the thyroid is doing.

Consider your lifestyle and habits to see if they are contributing to circadian rhythm disruptions.

I am totally doing IF with about 10/14. It is boosting the final bit of weight loss, but better yet, I feel so good. Lots of energy, no hunger, mentally alert. I really want the long term benefits of knocking out the senescent cells, decreasing risk of dementia, decreased osteoporosis, and increased vitality unto old age. I will probably be doing this for the long haul.

My only issue right now is too MUCH energy. I am too wound up and can't shut down. I get to sleep OK (when I finally DO go to bed) but then wake up every 2 hours thinking it is time to get up. Midnight, 2 am, 4 am, etc. When I finally get up at 5 am I am wide awake and ready to go, even if I only got 4-5 hours of sleep. I got labs drawn last week and will have my 6 month follow up this week, so will see if everything is normal. I am especially interesting in the TSH level. I will also be seeing my sleep doctor in a couple of weeks to see if I can go off the C-pap and will ask her about it as well. But it is very strange. I'm not complaining - I get a lot done - but I feel a bit like a manic energizer bunny. Anyone else have this with IF or with weight loss in a short time? I've lost 100 lbs in 6 months, so I am a bit of an outlier, for which I am thankful, but wonder if the rapid change has something to do with either my hormones or brain chemistry, and if IF is a contributing factor.

Edited by AZhiker