Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

19 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay guys. I tried to back read some of this thread, but 143 pages was too much, lol

I’m currently 32 days post-op and just finished Dr Fung’s book.
I’m trying to decide what kind of IF routine I want to follow but I have a couple of concerns that I hope you more experienced peeps can help me with.

I’m trying to decide between 24 or 36 hr fasting intervals, but my main concern is that I’m still struggling to eat more than 1/4 cup food earlier in the day after “fasting” overnight.
By dinner time, I’ve drank enough Water that I’ve loosened up my sleeve, but I’m kind of worried what fasting for 24 or more hours will do.
I’ll definitely want to eat on opposite days, but even now it’s a struggle to eat even 500 calories on a good eating day.

I’m ready to get into the habit while my appetite is naturally suppressed by my recent surgery, but worried that I won’t be able to get in enough nutrients on the days I actually do eat.

All thoughts and experiences appreciated please

Hi! I agree with @FluffyChix no need for it this early in the game. Consult your team and they will likely tell you the same. But keep us in mind for *if *you need a hack later down the line! Congratulations on a successful surgery to date❤

Doing a long fast. Don't know where I'm gonna stop it. Gonna see how far I can go today. I will confess to being totally confused about Protein and LBM retention. I "think" (whether it is cognitive dissonance or not), that I'm gonna choose to magically believe in Dr. Fung's premise...that WHILE losing, we don't need to hit the optimal protein goals for longevity because if we fall below our daily protein goals now and then, and do it long enough, then the body WILL go into autophagy and get the Proteins from the things we don't need (i.e. extra skin, empty fat cells, broken proteins, old dead cells, etc.) But gosh, I surely don't know the truth.

And I don't know how me doing this long fast is any different than @Sheribear68 doing a long IF being still so new to WLS. :( Wish I had real answers rather than opinions!

What I do know is that I'm used to fasting on Mondays and Tuesdays and I kinda "look forward" to those days to get back on track and clean out after the weekend. I guess I don't feel so guilty about the weekends by doing this. I'm not losing much--maybe 1-2lbs/month doing it this way--mostly just maintaining between 142-146lbs. Sigh. LOL.

Happy Monday! How's everyone else doing?

7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Doing a long fast. Don't know where I'm gonna stop it. Gonna see how far I can go today. I will confess to being totally confused about Protein and LBM retention. I "think" (whether it is cognitive dissonance or not), that I'm gonna choose to magically believe in Dr. Fung's premise...that WHILE losing, we don't need to hit the optimal Protein goals for longevity because if we fall below our daily protein goals now and then, and do it long enough, then the body WILL go into autophagy and get the Proteins from the things we don't need (i.e. extra skin, empty fat cells, broken Proteins, old dead cells, etc.) But gosh, I surely don't know the truth.

And I don't know how me doing this long fast is any different than @Sheribear68 doing a long IF being still so new to WLS. :( Wish I had real answers rather than opinions!

What I do know is that I'm used to fasting on Mondays and Tuesdays and I kinda "look forward" to those days to get back on track and clean out after the weekend. I guess I don't feel so guilty about the weekends by doing this. I'm not losing much--maybe 1-2lbs/month doing it this way--mostly just maintaining between 142-146lbs. Sigh. LOL.

Happy Monday! How's everyone else doing?

I gave up on a high protein diets months ago...i flex in and out of the rec. I just cant handle it never could i think. But honestly i hope Dr. Fung and other researchers are woth their weight in gold. I want to live foreverrrrrrr.

Good luck on the long fast, illnbe with you in spirit.

Im doing well. 12-6pm non fasting window here i come. I think i botched the start time yesterday because of daylight savings but im not actually sure lol oh well.

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

I gave up on a high Protein diets months ago...i flex in and out of the rec. I just cant handle it never could i think. But honestly i hope Dr. Fung and other researchers are woth their weight in gold. I want to live foreverrrrrrr.

Good luck on the long fast, illnbe with you in spirit.

Im doing well. 12-6pm non fasting window here i come. I think i botched the start time yesterday because of daylight savings but im not actually sure lol oh well.

Gosh me2!!! :) Or at least want to live for as long as I can be self-sufficient and have quality of life/fun. When that stops...then Jesus take the wheel...cuz I'm done. D-U-N-done! :)

I DO believe these guys/gals (Dr. F. et al) are worth their weight in gold! And I so hope they are right. The things that's thrown me is his new book with that other doc--the salt dude. It has COMPLETELY different recs on protein for longevity and it looks more like Drs. Phinney and Voleks recs. So maybe it's that they are discussing "normal weight" people for longevity versus the obese/over-weight population? Dunno. But I'm just gonna choose not to stress over this--like you. I have plenty of days where I hit my goals and exceed them actually. So I'm pretty sure I'm getting good amounts consistently?

Oh also, I don't know if you've noticed this about yourself? But I could swear my batwings are "smaller" than they were previously? I also read that part of shrinking them involves getting rid of the fat in them, so the cells are signaled to eat the extra skin? No reference articles on this--just a shmo on the internet and so I agree with his premise and choose to adopt it. *snort*

I don't think you have to worry about DLST and an hour here or there when you are regularly eating as you do within that 6 hour window. You're doing an 18:6 fast every day! Wooohooo! Bravo!

I miss @Matt Z and @sillykitty. Wish we could get the band back together again...

Hi ...

I follow along! Work is just all consuming right now.

I'm also not really doing IF, except when I do it inadvertently, just eating late in the day due to being busy. I am also in a weird place because I'm trying not to lose more weight. :unsure:

But on the topic of Protein, here are a couple of interesting articles

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180522-we-dont-need-nearly-as-much-protein-as-we-consume

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190116-a-high-carb-diet-may-explain-why-okinawans-live-so-long

I am also not a natural protein eater, so I hope that I am not making myself frail and weak in my old age by skimping on my protein requirements :blush:

@sillykitty

To stop the weight loss, have you considered setting snack alarms and having something easy (packet of nuts, Atkins snack, etc) to up your protein/calories without adding any extra work/effort to your day?

51 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Gosh me2!!! :) Or at least want to live for as long as I can be self-sufficient and have quality of life/fun. When that stops...then Jesus take the wheel...cuz I'm done. D-U-N-done! :)

I DO believe these guys/gals (Dr. F. et al) are worth their weight in gold! And I so hope they are right. The things that's thrown me is his new book with that other doc--the salt dude. It has COMPLETELY different recs on Protein for longevity and it looks more like Drs. Phinney and Voleks recs. So maybe it's that they are discussing "normal weight" people for longevity versus the obese/over-weight population? Dunno. But I'm just gonna choose not to stress over this--like you. I have plenty of days where I hit my goals and exceed them actually. So I'm pretty sure I'm getting good amounts consistently?

Oh also, I don't know if you've noticed this about yourself? But I could swear my batwings are "smaller" than they were previously? I also read that part of shrinking them involves getting rid of the fat in them, so the cells are signaled to eat the extra skin? No reference articles on this--just a shmo on the internet and so I agree with his premise and choose to adopt it. *snort*

I don't think you have to worry about DLST and an hour here or there when you are regularly eating as you do within that 6 hour window. You're doing an 18:6 fast every day! Wooohooo! Bravo!

Yes my arms a lot smaller than they were and than i would have predicted they would have been ever been... so are the twins 😳

And on the protein front... I know i can just get it done if i have to. its not like I'm malnourished in the least i just want to explore my non protein options sometimes

But who am i kidding i eat my weight in yogurt so im likely covered 😂

Edited by GreenTealael

15 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

@sillykitty

To stop the weight loss, have you considered setting snack alarms and having something easy (packet of nuts, Atkins snack, etc) to up your protein/calories without adding any extra work/effort to your day?

That would require me behaving myself. :P

Instead I've just gone off the rails, eating whatever my carb loving self desires. I sometimes try to focus on Protein, like having my burgers protein style, or snacking on meat and cheese (those meat and cheese roll ups you can buy everywhere are great)

It's all very strange. I came back from vacay with a new low weight. Not too unexpected due to all the walking I did. It went up slowly, which I was fine with. Was away for a full week with lots of poor choices + alcohol. I was pretty afraid to jump on the scale this morning, but found I lost two lbs (but still above my low weight)

So for now, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll just log everything and weigh myself, and see how long this lasts. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

That would require me behaving myself. :P

Instead I've just gone off the rails, eating whatever my carb loving self desires. I sometimes try to focus on Protein, like having my burgers Protein style, or snacking on meat and cheese (those meat and cheese roll ups you can buy everywhere are great)

It's all very strange. I came back from vacay with a new low weight. Not too unexpected due to all the walking I did. It went up slowly, which I was fine with. Was away for a full week with lots of poor choices + alcohol. I was pretty afraid to jump on the scale this morning, but found I lost two lbs (but still above my low weight)

So for now, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll just log everything and weigh myself, and see how long this lasts. :unsure:

C H A R M E D

4 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

C H A R M E D

Absolutely! I have no idea why I have been so fortunate. I know that most people seriously struggle to get to goal weight. So that makes me feel awkward and a little guilty posting about my stuff.

I'm so happy for you!!!

(And then the gremlin in me wants to add a "," and a "bi*ch" at the end...*sigh* )

Alls I know is that you have a gorgeous and enviable figure!!!! And I truly believe your body is gonna stop where its ready to stop and you will have a little bounceback down the road. Cuz I've seen it happen in too many, both here and on another site. So it kinda tells me don't fear the original "low" too much, cuz your body isn't through with the journey. You know? Embrace and enjoy! :)

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm so happy for you!!!

(And then the gremlin in me wants to add a "," and a "bi*ch" at the end...*sigh* )

Alls I know is that you have a gorgeous and enviable figure!!!! And I truly believe your body is gonna stop where its ready to stop and you will have a little bounceback down the road. Cuz I've seen it happen in too many, both here and on another site. So it kinda tells me don't fear the original "low" too much, cuz your body isn't through with the journey. You know? Embrace and enjoy! :)

And that is why I don't like posting about it :blush:

I am incredibly grateful I didn't have to fight to make it to goal.

But on the other hand, these last 10-15 lbs I have lost did a number on my body. I am pretty deeply unhappy with my naked self. I have months to wait before plastics. I feel like I pulled a bait and switched on my poor bf. I weighed 165 and had D cups (vs. the A's I have now) when I met him. Except for my tummy, every part of me looked better back then. (He isn't an idiot and of course hasn't said anything)

Ugh, apparently I'm throwing myself a little pity party this morning :(

6 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

And that is why I don't like posting about it :blush:

I am incredibly grateful I didn't have to fight to make it to goal.

But on the other hand, these last 10-15 lbs I have lost did a number on my body. I am pretty deeply unhappy with my naked self. I have months to wait before plastics. I feel like I pulled a bait and switched on my poor bf. I weighed 165 and had D cups (vs. the A's I have now) when I met him. Except for my tummy, every part of me looked better back then. (He isn't an idiot and of course hasn't said anything)

Ugh, apparently I'm throwing myself a little pity party this morning :(

Awwww! You should TOTALLY post about your success! Shout it from the rooftops!!! I'm so happy for you! I only joke about the "bi*ch" thing. :)

And vent away about the melting candle stuff!!! Gosh I SO get it. I try not to turn the lights up brightly anymore. :) And remember, you are the master of your own lighting ambiance! ;) I think you should invest in rheostats and remote control for light settings. Anytime you walk into a room, the light dims. :) :lol:

I'm so sorry you have some body dysmorphia going on right now. :( I PROMISE things are gonna get better!!! In six months are so, I bet you will be in a different place for sure!! ((hugs))

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Absolutely! I have no idea why I have been so fortunate. I know that most people seriously struggle to get to goal weight. So that makes me feel awkward and a little guilty posting about my stuff.

YOU SHOULD... Not!!!! 😍😍😍

Guess what? your journey your way ❤

You get to have one and be proud of it just like everyone else on here. Its not fair that you have to hide it 😞 I want to see some carbsssss 😂