Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

Hey y'all! Anyone and everyone is welcome to jump in and join us.

This is the Intermittent Fasting DAily Menu/Results/Accountability Thread. It's where a few of us (or many) are going to log in and encourage each other while we experiment with our own IF plans. You can list or talk about anything--not just your food. I look forward to adding in HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and core exercises to my walking plan while practicing IF. So expect to hear about that too. ;) hehe I expect some of us will talk about the known IF side-effects like insomnia, circadian rhythm disturbance, etc. It's all good! Let's hack this IF mofo! mkay? :D

There is not any 1 specific IF plan--there are so many to choose from, so this is a BYOIFP (bring-your-own-IF-plan) and join the fun! This is the thread where we'll post our daily menus and maybe some piccys at times! We can discuss progress, issues we might notice, look at how we may want to refine our own personal plans. I do think you should be healed from surgery and have your doctor's and RD's blessings to try something like this and you should do a ton of research and reading about Intermittent Fasting.

IF isn't only about weight loss, it's about taking specific measures to limit either quantities, calories, macros, or sometimes only consciously altering eating windows/schedules in order to effect metabolic change and reduce inflammation and improve health markers.

Ok, let's do this thang!!!

On board! For anyone interested the link below is what piqued my interest

https://youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk

Then I started considering the benefits of a hydration focused lifestyle on fat loss because of the link below

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4901052/

I prepped by using a Water reminder

Ive done 20:4(strict) 18:6 &16:8(modified) fasting, I also have a 24hr true fast coming up. I will update my progress here regularly

Screenshot_2018-09-03-10-05-08.png

Edited by GreenTealael

This is new to me so I am following and considering giving it a try.

Ok, I'll start this. I'm about 6 1/2 months out from RNY surgery. I'm down 123.6lbs from my most recent high weight of 287lbs as of last May 5, 2017. You can see my stats in the signature panel and on the left side of each post. I love my surgery and have few problems--in fact, my pouch is named Iron Will cuz nothing bothers it except a high fat diet--then I will wish I'd died.

I'm starting IF because I had amazing results with it before a cancer dx and used it all throughout treatment. It protected my healthy cells and exposed the cancer cells to vulnerability. I am on a cancer drug that causes super-menopause--shutting down as much estrogen and progesterone as possible. So I'm terribly hormone-imbalanced and losing is harder than it should be. I also have thyroid issues that I'm dealing with as a result of life-long PCOS (metabolic disease).

I will do a bunch of gyrations with my IF--far more than most would need to do--so don't think "my plan" is the proper way to IF. I think most people don't have to jump through the extreme hoops I have to jump through in order to lose weight and stem inflammation--my ultimate goal.

I found ADF using the JUDDDD plan years ago. This doc who developed it was one of the pioneers in modern-day IF. JUDDDD stands for The Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet or ADF (Alternate Day Fasting Diet). You can get the book here. It's a very easy and effective plan and is based in part on the work of Dr. Valter Longo and his SIRT (longevity gene) research. It's based on growing telomeres to counter-balance the effects of aging. The diet also helps reduce inflammation and is very good for asthma/allergies in addition to helping a whole bunch of chronic diseases.

Here are my beginning stats. I will weigh in weekly and will add my measurements every month on the 20th. I'm beginning this IF journey on Labor Day 2018. Cuz you know...why not do something fairly hard on a national holiday lol.

My personal JUDDD plan will include alternate days of 500cals. The other alternating days will be normal eating patterns between 900-1200 cals. In addition, I will continue my low carb diet and will keep the following macros as much as I can. My plan says that being 100cals one way or the other makes little difference. So I won't sweat being a couple cals or grams over or under.

Down Days (DD) 500 cals: 60%Protein (75g); 15%Carbs (19g--total non-net); 25%Fat (14g); Fiber where I can; <10g daily natural sugars

Up Days (UD) aka Normal Days 1000 cals: 30% Protein (75g); 15%Carbs (50g--total non-net); 55%Fat (61g); 25g Fiber; <15g daily natural sugars

Intermediate Medium Day 750 cals: 40% Protine (75g); 15%Carbs (28g--total non-net); 45%Fat (38g); as much fiber as possible; <10g daily natural sugars

Alternating Schedule:

M-W-Th: DD

Sat: MD

Fri-Sun: UD

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm also going to be eating within a 14:10 schedule which means, 14 hours fasting (currently considered the optimal fasting/eating window for females) and 10 hours opportunity to eat scheduled meals. I eat roughly 3-4 hours between meals. So I will be available to eat between 11am-9pm keeping roughly the 3-4 hours between meals.

09.03.18 Weight:

166.4lbs

08.20.18 Measurements:

Chest 40.5

Waist 32.5

Hips 41.5

Neck 13.5

Right Thigh 22

Left Thigh 22

Right Arm 11

Left Arm (Lymphedema from cancer) 12.5

Edited by FluffyChix

@FluffyChix You're rockin' that hourglass shape, aren't you? I'm still more like a stopwatch!

5 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

@FluffyChix You're rockin' that hourglass shape, aren't you? I'm still more like a stopwatch!

Hahaha, me too 😢

09.03.18: Down Day (DD) 500 cals: 60%Protein (75g); 15%Carbs (19g--total non-net); 25%Fat (14g); Fiber where I can; <10g daily natural sugars

Brekky 1: Decaff; Colace; Miralax

Brekky 2: 1 1/4 cup Egg White Puff (ew, lt cheese wedge, turkey crumbles, mushrooms, baby spin, on/bp/celery blend)

L: 3oz boiled shrimp

1 1/4c chopped salad (iceberg, baby spin, cabb shreds, cucs, rbp, ro, pumpkin seeds

WF dressing (Italian)

D: 3oz grilled pork chop; 3oz steamed broccoli + Molly McButter sprinkles

BS: 1/3c 2% cottage cheese with Peanut Butter powder and WF Blueberry Syrup

Vitamins: 2 multis, 1500mg Ca Cit, 18mg Iron + C; 100mg Thiamin; 1000mg B12 subling -- don't count the values into daily totals for cals/carbs. Sue me.

(click to enlarge)

090318DD_500cal.thumb.JPG.200a2574cd6acc8bca86d4c919d11fc7.JPG

13 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Ha! Yeah sure, with a linebacker's thunder thighs. LOL. I should go for the Heismann!

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

@FluffyChix You're rockin' that hourglass shape, aren't you?

Lol ... I was just thinking the same thing.

@FluffyChix stats made me break out the measuring tape. I'm a similar height & weight and 1"-2" inches larger in all areas, except my chest :(

I'm following!

I do IF as much as I can. But I don't have a strict regimen. I simply push my first meal back as long as I can, controlling hunger by drinking fluids. And then I try not to eat again after dinner, whenever and whatever that might be.

I'm not sure if it will help me with weight loss, most days I have a pretty extreme calorie deficit, so I'm pretty much bound to lose (hopefully, at least!).

I do think it helps me control hunger, both physical & psychological. One thing I learned from my recent vacation is when I eat frequently and at structured times (breakfast, lunch & dinner), it seems to train my body/mind to be hungrier. I noticed this somewhat before this trip, but now I'm 100% sure of it.

As I mentioned I won't do this strictly. A lot of my work revolves around meals and entertaining, so that is out of my control. Also, if I am starving, I'm not going to torture myself by not eating. I just won't do IF that day.

I'm interested to see how everyone does IF, and what results and side effects they have!

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Lol ... I was just thinking the same thing.

@FluffyChix stats made me break out the measuring tape. I'm a similar height & weight and 1"-2" inches larger in all areas, except my chest :(

Lol! 1-2 inches isn't significant differences cuz we both probably measure in different areas and with different amount of tension. I have one pair of size 10 skinny jeans I can get on but I can't sit down in or walk in. Lol!! What counts is the pattern of change over time using the same places and same amt of tension. We're probably close to the same size but you have a smaller hiney and legs than I do! 😂

Edited by FluffyChix

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

I'm following!

I do IF as much as I can. But I don't have a strict regimen. I simply push my first meal back as long as I can, controlling hunger by drinking fluids. And then I try not to eat again after dinner, whenever and whatever that might be.

I'm not sure if it will help me with weight loss, most days I have a pretty extreme calorie deficit, so I'm pretty much bound to lose (hopefully, at least!).

I do think it helps me control hunger, both physical & psychological. One thing I learned from my recent vacation is when I eat frequently and at structured times (breakfast, lunch & dinner), it seems to train my body/mind to be hungrier. I noticed this somewhat before this trip, but now I'm 100% sure of it.

As I mentioned I won't do this strictly. A lot of my work revolves around meals and entertaining, so that is out of my control. Also, if I am starving, I'm not going to torture myself by not eating. I just won't do IF that day.

I'm interested to see how everyone does IF, and what results and side effects they have!

I'm really looking forward to how everyone does it and seeing any changes and side effects!!

14 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Lol! 1-2 inches isn't significant differences cuz we both probably measure in different areas and with different amount of tension. I have one pair of size 10 skinny jeans I can get on but I can't sit down in or walk in. Lol!! What counts is the pattern of change over time using the same places and same amt of tension. We're probably close to the same size but you have a smaller hiney and legs than I do! 😂

Nice try, but I'm convinced you have bigger boobs, and I have bigger everything else! :lol: