Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why don't more people get the MGB? I love mine!

Why don't more people get the MGB? I had mine on April 27th and it has gone so smoothly that I often forget I have it. My friend has a different surgeon and he is resistant saying that there are more complications and risk of reflux. However, they are bypassing the stomach so there can't be gastric reflux and there is a technique or stitch that they can do to prevent or minimize the risk of bile reflux. It seems with only 1 connection that the risks are smaller. Why do so many surgeons not offer this. I absolutely love mine!

My recovery has been great and so far I've lost over 60 pounds and that includes a 3 week stall. I absolutely feel restriction which is great and what I want. I do feel hungry and sometimes starving but I can eat a snack like a boiled egg and then I'm satisfied and full for hours. I don't dump and have no heartburn or reflux. I know my surgeon did the stitch to prevent bile reflux and so far it works. It seems that I can eat anything but just in smaller portion sizes. I only count Fluid and Protein. I stopped counting calories because it is a real effort to exceed 1000 at this point. Maybe because my favorite things are tri-tip steak and salad or scallops and veggies. When we eat out, I've learned to order al a carte or just bring home the leftovers for another meal or two. Most important is that I don't dump. That really terrified me. I can eat sweets but I've found that I have no interest in them anymore. One bite is all I need and I'm done. I had a small piece of cake at my niece's wedding and I didn't get sick but I didn't want more either. It was nice for a celebration.

Is my experience unique? I still have 50 lbs to lose and at some point I know it will slow and be more difficult but isn't it that way with all WLS methods? Why aren't there more MGB patients?

I'm not really sure how to answer your question. I feel like there are many MGB people. The sleeve seems to be the most popular right now but everyone has their reasons. We all have reasons for choosing what we did. I chose MGB for the malabsorption and (possible) dumping.. some people choose other options because they don't want those things. It's just a preference.

I'm really glad you're having great results and an easy time. I'm happy with my choice as well but I do have very occasional reflux (which is AWFUL), heartburn from time to time and plenty of frustrating moments. They can all have their downfalls. At the end of the day, if you follow your plan it doesn't really matter what you choose as long as you get where you want to be.

I agree N0VA, if you get where you want to be, it doesn't matter. I just find it interesting that so many doctors don't recommend it or perform it. It just seems like such a viable option. Lots of sleeves get converted so I don't understand why they don't just recommend it in the first place. Personally, I don't know many people that have had it. I have met a lot of full bypass patients and sleeve patients. I rarely meet an MGB person.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:53 PM, UnderTheCaliSun said:

I agree N0VA, if you get where you want to be, it doesn't matter. I just find it interesting that so many doctors don't recommend it or perform it. It just seems like such a viable option. Lots of sleeves get converted so I don't understand why they don't just recommend it in the first place. Personally, I don't know many people that have had it. I have met a lot of full bypass patients and sleeve patients. I rarely meet an MGB person.

And I rarely hear of other DS patients, which is the surgery I chose. It's always a good feeling to know you made a good decision and it's working for you.

My insurance doesn't cover the MGB. Im having RNY gastric bypass, which is covered. Glad you're so successful and congrats on the weight loss!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had MGB and lost all of my excess weight and then some, but 8 months after surgery an EGD endoscopy showed I had bile reflux and Barrett's Esophagus. (Prior to MGB, I had acid reflux and esophagitis but not the other 2 issues.). This happened even though I had the stitch to prevent bile reflux. In July 2018 I had surgery to correct the problems and am doing much better. I don’t regret the MGB but think RNY would have been better for me originally. YMMV

I had never even heard of a "mini" gastric bypass until this forum. I'm still not even sure what the difference is. lol.

I had never even heard of a "mini" gastric bypass until this forum. I'm still not even sure what the difference is. lol.
Slightly different technique where instead of cutting and stitching the intestine in two places, they loop up a bit of intestine and stitch it to the bottom of the new small stomach pouch in just one place.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh, I see. I looked up a description and it says it's not good for people with acid reflux issues, but other than that.. same effects. I have BADDD acid reflux, so wouldn't be a good choice for me. Also says not a lot of studies done yet so it's not covered by most insurances. Probably why they don't mention it as an option.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:00 PM, UnderTheCaliSun said:

Why don't more people get the MGB? I had mine on April 27th and it has gone so smoothly that I often forget I have it. My friend has a different surgeon and he is resistant saying that there are more complications and risk of reflux. However, they are bypassing the stomach so there can't be gastric reflux and there is a technique or stitch that they can do to prevent or minimize the risk of bile reflux. It seems with only 1 connection that the risks are smaller. Why do so many surgeons not offer this. I absolutely love mine!

The article I just read says it does cause more acid reflux because your "old stomach" and pouch are in the same "loop" so the acid from the old stomach can, in theory, back up into the pouch... which can't happen with regular RNY. I had never heard of the surgery before this forum... doesn't seem like most insurance covers it yet.

Re: the dumping. I am glad dumping is a risk. I had a semi-dumping episode as a reaction to some cream Soup and it is a massive deterrent. It's basically trained me to never, ever want to risk having carb heavy, fat heavy, or sugar heavy anything, ever again, because I never want that experience again. I look at it as an awesome training tool.

Edited by mousecat88

14 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Oh, I see. I looked up a description and it says it's not good for people with acid reflux issues, but other than that.. same effects. I have BADDD acid reflux, so wouldn't be a good choice for me.

I had acid reflux and got an MGB - reflux got way better. Unfortunately not all RNY patients are free of reflux as well. Feels a bit like throwing a coin when you have reflux and have to decide for one surgery.

Also says not a lot of studies done yet so it's not covered by most insurances. Probably why they don't mention it as an option.

An MGB is comparable to a Billroth-II-Anastomosis. There are tons of studies on Billroth II surgery. General surgeons perform it since decades when it comes to ulcers (before anyone knew about HP) and cancer.

Edited by summerset
typos

Oh, I see. I looked up a description and it says it's not good for people with acid reflux issues, but other than that.. same effects. I have BADDD acid reflux, so wouldn't be a good choice for me. Also says not a lot of studies done yet so it's not covered by most insurances. Probably why they don't mention it as an option.
It's a cure for acid reflux but there are some studies which suggest you may be susceptible to bile reflux instead. My surgeon has me on omeprazole for life because of that. But it cured my acid reflux.

Re: the dumping. I am glad dumping is a risk. I had a semi-dumping episode as a reaction to some cream Soup and it is a massive deterrent. It's basically trained me to never, ever want to risk having carb heavy, fat heavy, or sugar heavy anything, ever again, because I never want that experience again. I look at it as an awesome training tool.

IKR! All of a sudden I'm happy with the sweetness in a bit of fruit, and 0% fat Greek yoghurt tastes lovely and creamy. Who needs actual cream and sugar!?