Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins and Supplements

I am curious to know what Vitamins and supplements everyone is taking.

I'm currently taking:

I will be adding Nature's Bounty Probiotic 10 as soon as I finish my antibiotics.

I need to add a B complex (I think) and for sure B12. I saw somewhere not to start B12 until month 3. Has anyone else heard this?

I also need to add 500-700 mg daily of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I'm not sure which one to get there are so many different choices.

I've been using the PatchMD Patches, I buy the Band pack because I don't need the extra Iron. The Sleeve pack has a Multivitamin, B12 and a D3 with Calcium.

I also take a once a week 50,000 IU Vitamin D and a daily 10,000 IU Vitamin D. I also take 10,000 IU of Biotin and a dose of chewable Fiber in the morning.

That's it.

Edited by Matt Z

38 minutes ago, photogirl70 said:

I am curious to know what Vitamins and supplements everyone is taking.

I'm currently taking:

I will be adding Nature's Bounty Probiotic 10 as soon as I finish my antibiotics.

I need to add a B complex (I think) and for sure B12. I saw somewhere not to start B12 until month 3. Has anyone else heard this?

I also need to add 500-700 mg daily of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I'm not sure which one to get there are so many different choices.

Just checking - do you take the Calcium and the Iron at least 2 hours apart?

I take Multivitamins, Citracal (not at same time), magnesium (leg cramps), Biotin (hair), sublingual B12, Probiotics (occasionally when I think about it) and Regular Girl Prebiotic Fiber & Probiotic Blend, recommended by my NUT for regularity.

3 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Just checking - do you take the Calcium and the Iron at least 2 hours apart?

yes and that's one reason why I decided to take all of my multi Vitamin at once. Those Bariatric Advantage are no joke. The first time I took them, it was on an empty stomach and I'll never make that mistake again. I eat lunch and then finish with a sip of Water and 3 capsules. Then, I set a 2 hour timer for my Calcium. My other doses of calcium are when I wake up and when I go to bed.

I take my Calcium and Iron 2 hours apart. You should not take calcium and iron supplements together, because mixing the minerals may reduce the absorption of iron from your intestines.

3 minutes ago, photogirl70 said:

yes and that's one reason why I decided to take all of my multi Vitamin at once. Those Bariatric Advantage are no joke. The first time I took them, it was on an empty stomach and I'll never make that mistake again. I eat lunch and then finish with a sip of Water and 3 capsules. Then, I set a 2 hour timer for my Calcium. My other doses of Calcium are when I wake up and when I go to bed.

Sorry, had a "Mom" moment! Glad you've got it covered ;-)

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Sorry, had a "Mom" moment! Glad you've got it covered ;-)

Oh, it's good you asked! Some people don't know. I didn't before I started this process.

I take the following:

1 ProCare Health Bariatric Multivitamin per day

1 2,500mcg B12 per day

1 10,000mcg Biotin per day

1 500mg Bariatric Advantage chewable calcium citrate per day

1 250mg Bariatric Advantage Chewalbe Calcium Citrate per day

3 65mg Iron pills per day (taken at different times)

3 250mg Vitamin C per day (I take one with each iron pill)

1 50,000iu Vitamin D per week

Edited by FancyChristine15

My surgeon is super conservative and had me on a complicated regimen of several different supplements spaced out several times a day. It was exhausting! Plus, I hated the Calcium tabs. AND, all the pills were making my stomach too full for food.< br /> Wednesday, at my 3 month post op check up, he changed everything and life is so much easier! I now take 2 BariLife Multivitamins, 3 times a day. You swallow them and they dissolve in your belly quickly. The coating smells like vanilla but has no flavor. Done! (I also choose to take Biotin and Lutein).

I stopped taking Vitamins at 6 months post -op. Figured it would show up during my annual physical in my blood work. Just had another physical (18 months post op) and my doctor said everything checked out just fine. Eating very well and saved $700 in Vitamin cost. Hit my goal and feel stronger and healthier than I have been in 20 years.

14 hours ago, Coachthex32 said:

I stopped taking Vitamins at 6 months post -op. Figured it would show up during my annual physical in my blood work. Just had another physical (18 months post op) and my doctor said everything checked out just fine. Eating very well and saved $700 in Vitamin cost. Hit my goal and feel stronger and healthier than I have been in 20 years.

I'm not sure I'll stop, but I'm going to switch to a cheaper multi Vitamin and Calcium and probably drop the extra Biotin and probiotic. I'm glad you are doing great though!

Really started out as just being lazy. I ran out and did not have time to get more. Felt like it was a “scam” that I had to pay extra for a Bariatric Vitamin. (Something that dissolved faster).