Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety About Getting Rid of Clothes

I took off work today to have a four-day weekend and have spent the morning going through my closet. I have bagged up four big trash bags of clothes. So far, I have gone from 26/28 tops and 34/36 pants down to 14/16 tops and 18/20 pants, and I just bought some new inexpensive clothes to help me make it through fall. But bagging the old clothes up (including some of the things in in-between sizes I've gotten over the past several months) and planning to donate them is filling me with anxiety! What if I need these clothes again? I am so used to clothes being scarce--there is only one store in my area that sells clothes in size 34/36, and I always just felt grateful to find anything. I feel like I'll feel better once everything is out of the house, and I hope that's true. Anyone else struggle with this?

I had developed a sizeable stack of clothes in the corner of my closet and hadn't made a move to get rid of them. Like you, I think I was kind of paralyzed by the "finality" of the act. Then a friend at work mentioned a woman at her church in dire need who was about my size. (Husband had cleared out the house, including all the clothes (even the kid's toys) while she was out with the kids one day.) She was about my size. It was so easy for me to pack up the clothes for her, I even pulled extras off the hangers that I hadn't quite "ungrown" yet, because I was doing it for someone else.

Maybe you can reach out to a local shelter and see if they have someone your size?

I am understanding this completely. I have a range of clothes in my closets / storage of all sizes. - Today was a NSV, I fit into a pair of capri jeans that I bought about 3 years ago and I pulled it out every summer since as a goal to fit into them. Today I did. Guess what, they are white, so today is the 1st time in 3 years that I can wear them and likely the last time I'll wear them for good. Really sad part is, I think I only ever wore them once before.

It's hard, but you can do it one or both ways - You can donate it or sell in lots on Ebay and make some money and use that money to buy new clothes.

Be proud of your sexy new self and don't look back.

45 minutes ago, brightfaith said:

What if I need these clothes again?

Do you want to need them again? Try to avoid this type of logic, stick with "I refuse to need this size again".

Way I see it, holding onto your old clothes is like giving yourself "permission" to put on weight because you'll have the fallback. Same reason none of my jeans have any elastic in them, just pure denim. If I feel them getting a little tighter, I know I've gone a couple pounds over and have to either cut back or buy an entire new set.

I can also relate to the anxiety of getting rid of clothes. In fact, for the longest time I didn't want to even buy smaller clothes because it made me feel self conscious to wear clothes that actually fit. Eventually, I went through and sold everything and donated the rest. I felt so much better and I felt a lot of relief. It felt it was one page out of this chapter finished. I was so proud of myself, just like when I make goal on the scale. It was better than the scale. I guess, I have made this a lifestyle change, vs. a diet. Diets are temporary and I don't see this as a temporary change. I will never allow myself to slip back into my old habits, much less gain enough weight to go back to my former size. My former t-shirts, I keep for night gowns. Every night when I get into bed, I remind myself, that this is where I was, this is where I am now.

I had very mixed emotions when it came to ridding myself of that stack of clothing in the corner of my closet. I was so happy to be shrinking out of them, but felt very attached to them. Not because I feared gaining the weight, but they were a part of me that was now in my past, most of them were comfortable and had memories associated. Plus, I find that I actually prefer to wear my clothes a little big. Having room in them feels much better than barely being able to breathe!

When I started getting comments about how my clothes look like they're about to fall off, I packed them up! One of my colleagues offered to take them to a local women's shelter where they need professional clothing for the residents to perform a job search. So, once I knew my clothes were going to a good cause, it was easier to part with them.

I now have another stack growing in my closet. Will be taking them to the women's shelter again next week.

I agree with others, don't fall into the trap of saving them "just in case". Wrong thinking, for sure.

You all inspire me with your stories. I cannot WAIT until I lose so much weight that I need to buy smaller clothes!!

I thought of it as a success and a determination lifestyle statement that I will never ever need to keep my closet full of what ifs and if I need that size agains .... it was liberating. Be proud of yourself and refuse to ever think that way again

Get rid of them ... know that you’re donating them to someone who could use them

Congrats