Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I was sleeved on 8/2 and have been walking about a mile every day. Last week I joined a gym. I did Zumba twice last week and three times this week. Until now, I have had almost no desire to eat but yesterday I started to think I was a little hungry which is starting to scare me. I read that sleevers drop a lot of their weight in the first couple months so i was trying to maximize that but dont want to go too far. I wanted to ask your opinions on whether you think I am exercising too soon? Or maybe too much? When did you all start? And what did you start out doing?

First make sure you are drinking enough Water. If you are sweating, you may need more water. Talk to your dietician or surgeon. My recommends an ounce of Protein after I work out and extra water. I drink half my weight in ounces (200 lbs would be 100 oz).

Great job on getting in activity. If you are working out as much as you posted you need energy to keep going. My nutritionist had me add more calories daily to keep up with my new routine. Talk to your bariatric team on this as well as how much activity you are getting in, I had to wait 6 weeks to be cleared for exercise beyond walking.

My doctors cleared me end of week 2 to do 30 minutes of cycling (on flat roads) by week 4 I was cleared for Golf, running, and anything else I felt like doing. They only asked that i add in 1 extra Protein serving and monitor the color of my urine to make sure I was staying hydrated on the days I worked out. I don't push it, I listen very carefully to my body.

If you are going to increase anything, increase Water and Protein. In an average workout fencing, I burn 1700 calories over 3 hours. Normally I eat 1100 calories a day (I'm 2 years out). On the days I fence, I up my protein to 120 grams minimum and at least 120 ounces of water. I also add at least 500 more calories in - still leaving me with a deficit. Also, are you on a PPI for reflux. IN my first few months, when I went off the PPI, I felt what I thought was hunger but was really reflux.

And hydrate - Powerade Zero or G2 during those Zumba classes. It's vital.

Enjoy your workout!

3 hours ago, domi said:

First make sure you are drinking enough Water. If you are sweating, you may need more Water. Talk to your dietician or surgeon. My recommends an ounce of Protein after I work out and extra water. I drink half my weight in ounces (200 lbs would be 100 oz).

I am working on increasing my water intake. Its still difficult because I am very thirsty but still have to take small sips. My NUT told me Zumba was ok, but I will follow up and ask if I need to increase Protein. Other than the extra ounce, did you notice a change in your appetite?

1 hour ago, Cynisca said:

My doctors cleared me end of week 2 to do 30 minutes of cycling (on flat roads) by week 4 I was cleared for Golf, running, and anything else I felt like doing. They only asked that i add in 1 extra Protein serving and monitor the color of my urine to make sure I was staying hydrated on the days I worked out. I don't push it, I listen very carefully to my body.

My NUT cleared me for Zumba but no lifting. It sounds like I might need to add that extra ounce and I am working on increasing my Water as well. I want to push myself but also want to be sensible. That's why I wanted to ask the community for feedback. I don't want to use anything as a excuse to slow down if the feelings are normal.

20 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

If you are going to increase anything, increase Water and Protein. In an average workout fencing, I burn 1700 calories over 3 hours. Normally I eat 1100 calories a day (I'm 2 years out). On the days I fence, I up my Protein to 120 grams minimum and at least 120 ounces of Water. I also add at least 500 more calories in - still leaving me with a deficit. Also, are you on a PPI for reflux. IN my first few months, when I went off the PPI, I felt what I thought was hunger but was really reflux.

And hydrate - Powerade Zero or G2 during those Zumba classes. It's vital.

Enjoy your workout!

Thank you! Your suggestion is right in line with the others. It sounds like I definitely need to increase the protein a little bit. I am still on a PPI for another couple weeks. I haven't been drinking too much during class because I was feeling like I was going to lose my Cookies but I might slow down and take an extra few sips during class.

@Malcy - I do notice I am hungrier on days I exercise more. I eat/drink my 1-3 oz of Protein and then drink a big Water a half hour later. My trainer said that most of the times when I think I'm hungry, my body is actually thirsty.