Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 years out - Weird right side pain and no one can find the problem.

Hi all, I dunno if any of you have read any of my posts before. I recently ranted about an ER visit due to this issue I'm having and I'm hoping maybe someone else has experienced it? I had RNY Gastric Bypass in 2009, Galbladder Removed in 2010 and a Hernia repair in 2013. I've regained weight for several reasons but I'm getting back on track and you can find more background on that on my other posts. I just need to see if anyone has experienced something similar.

For a few months on and off now I've been getting this pain om my lower right quadrant. It starts dull by my belly button then slowly goes to the side and it starts getting so unbearable, reminds me of when I used to get gallbladder attacks. Sometimes I also feel it on my right mid to low back as well. The pain gets so unbearable I've had multiple ER visits and every time the CT Scan comes back clear and they just send me home (with an attitude because apparently everyone is a drug seeker now , but I digress). I even saw my surgeon's resident at the ER on Monday but instead of a CT she did an X-Ray and she said she couldn't see anything weird and I'm probably just constipated and make an appointment with my bariatric surgeon in a week. I will.

But, has any of you ever experienced anything like that? The pain comes in waves it's never fully gone but it can be bearable. As of this week I'm really not into food at all and have just been living off Water and Protein Shakes or coffee and the occasional cheese stick. If you've had this happen did anyone ever figure it out? Did it get better? Did I break something they can't see? This is maddening? Please feel free to comment with any idea you may have even if you haven't experienced this. Thanks in advance.

Edited by kat__p
Typo

I’m sure this has been considered but could it be your appendix? Hopefully that’s been eliminated as a problem but thought I’d throw it out there. Hope you get resolution soon.

They have but they’ve never been able to see my appendix in a CT scan even though I have one (idk how that happens) but since I didn’t have elevated white blood cells or a fever they’ve ruled it out.

Have you thought maybe it has nothing to do with your bypass.

Go to an orthopedic and get checked out for referred back pain. If you have compressed, bulged, or herniated discs, they vertebrae could be pinching the nerve and it feels like pain coming from the area of the body that nerve serves. I have sciatica on my right side and I have pain in my buttocks and down my right leg.

They'll start off with a poke and prod test and likely take an xray of an area of your spine.

-EQ

On 8/30/2018 at 4:13 PM, SummerEssence said:

Have you thought maybe it has nothing to do with your bypass.

At this point, I'm willing to consider anything. They seem to have checked other things off the list and now are considering the bypass so we'll see.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:25 PM, ElusiveQuality said:

Go to an orthopedic and get checked out for referred back pain. If you have compressed, bulged, or herniated discs, they vertebrae could be pinching the nerve and it feels like pain coming from the area of the body that nerve serves. I have sciatica on my right side and I have pain in my buttocks and down my right leg.

They'll start off with a poke and prod test and likely take an xray of an area of your spine.

-EQ

That actually sounds like it could explain a lot. I've had sciatica on my right side also, so I feel you on that pain. Thanks!

Try to be mindful on what you're doing before the pain starts. I've found that if I sit a certain way I can cause the pain to start after a while.

Also, try stretching your back when you have the pain to see if that alleviates it.

4 hours ago, ElusiveQuality said:

Try to be mindful on what you're doing before the pain starts. I've found that if I sit a certain way I can cause the pain to start after a while.

Also, try stretching your back when you have the pain to see if that alleviates it.

I definitely will. I'm tired of not feeling healthy and just feeling shitty everyday when this should be one of the happiest times in my life. I'll try anything for this to stop, seriously.

Diverticulitis/ diveticulosis- have a GI or your PCP check it out, those little Pouchings of your Colon can give you grief.

Edited by Jenndk1

Hey there, I feel ya. I've had exactly the same happen to me too. In the same order as you. Had the same surgery as you as well and the same runaround. I was forced to find a new Gastroenterologist and thank God for him. His name is Dr. Bruce and he's very thorough. I've known about a little thing called candycane syndrome, found it by accident and it's kept hush hush for some reason. It's a piece of gut that used to be attached to the stomach and they just staple it at the end.. the longer this piece is kept, the more problems it will cause. The staples can pop, and the only way to see if that's the problem is to have an "emptying test" done. You will drink a smal cup of white chalky substance and the scan shows if the pouch empties. If it dousing the it will fill into the candycane. That's about the size of it. Dr. Jon Bruce is in Cary NC or find a new Dr. in Your area. It's likely your current Dr may not fess up to it since it is a poor surgical practice. I hope this helps. Good Luck