Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to Bypass Sept. 4th

Anyone had the sleeve and getting a revision due to having no restriction and weight gain? I was Sleeved April 2015 and only lost 60lbs. I’m scheduled for revision on Sept. 4th. I lost my restriction with my sleeve 6 months out and could eat regularly. I don’t have GERD issues. I’m nervous for my bypass because I keep seeing soooo many stories of people not losing enough weight or really slow. My highest weight with the sleeve was 330 in 2015. I’m currently 320. Anyone loss 100+ lbs after revision?

Good luck with your upcoming gastric bypass!!

I hope you’re working on resolving any emotional eating issues as the new surgery won’t prevent you from eating poorly or overeating. It is also common to lose less weight with a revision versus an original surgery. But if you follow recommendations to eat dense Protein first then non-starchy vegetables, and to avoid sugar, processed food, simple carbs, alcohol, and liquid calories, you should be successful. This new way of eating needs to be a long term lifestyle change, and not just until you reach your goal weight. You can do this!

Like the old mantra Don't try to drown your sorrows in alcohol, they can swim. The few that don't swim do float to the top!

4 hours ago, banksdea said:

Anyone had the sleeve and getting a revision due to having no restriction and weight gain? I was Sleeved April 2015 and only lost 60lbs. I’m scheduled for revision on Sept. 4th. I lost my restriction with my sleeve 6 months out and could eat regularly. I don’t have GERD issues. I’m nervous for my bypass because I keep seeing soooo many stories of people not losing enough weight or really slow. My highest weight with the sleeve was 330 in 2015. I’m currently 320. Anyone loss 100+ lbs after revision?

Hi

I don't know a lot about RNY but I've recently learned that apparently just within the standard RNY procedure there are different technical approaches your surgeon can take to give you different efficacies. Research, ask detailed questions,advocate for yourself and ask for the most effective procedure for you.

You can do this, again!

Yeah usually has to go with the length of intestine,used for the bypass. I remember Fluffy Chix waiting hers was short,because of her,BMI. The shorter the length the less the malabsorbion but also the lower the potential weight loss. Like the old carnival markers says "You,pay your money, you take your choice!" The proper answer on bypass length? Short enough you still get some nutrients, long enough that you have a good weight loss.
With a garden-hosed size of sleeve you have a different set of problems. There is not a perfect variety of Bariatelric Surgery but the surgeon😷 and researchers are making strides and someday there may be! Look how,much better they get as the years go by.😝

Saying not Waiting, she's one of our Veterans Now!

My husband had gastric bypass 23 years ago at 450lbs way before we met and he lost half his weight at 5”11 and never gained it back so I do think it’s effective, I was up for a sleeve but after my testing my doctor said due to the acid reflux he would recommend gastric bypass for me because it’s inevitable that since I currently have acid reflux the sleeve would only make it worse so he’d rather I avoid that the 1st time.

I had the revision on July 10th for the same reasons. High weight before sleeve in July 2014 was 300, lowest after sleeve was 210 and then I regained 40+ and couldn’t get it off. Was 250 when revision was done, weight loss has been kinda slow but they said it would be. Stalled at week three for over three weeks but scale is finally moving again. Down 23 pounds so far. Best thing is my restriction is great, can’t even finish a quarter cup of Protein most of the time. I’m glad I had it done, wish I would have gone with the bypass to begin with. Good luck to you.

I had the gastric sleeve first. My situation is different than yours medically but I found that the bypass allows me to hydrate and eat much more freely than with the gastric sleeve, (which was a problem because I had a narrowing and scar tissue in my sleeve so I never really experienced hunger after I had the sleeve and then once the scar tissue was bad enough I couldn't really hydrate or eat much at all and what I did try to get down would sit in the top of my sleeve. ) Anyways, my point is that you will need to have your mind straight and nutrition straight no matter which surgery you have. A bariatric nurse told me once that she has seen patients eat themselves around every sugery. Even the DS. I hope this is successful for you but you should know that there is no way to predict how hungry you will be or what you will crave after the revision -that will be up to you to hold yourself to task. You might dump, you might not, etc. People end up back in surgery having revisions to bypass frequently enough to tighten their stomas, lengthen their bypass, etc. It is just a difficult journey, this bariatric life. Period. I wish you the best with your revision

I was sleeved March 13, 2013 and lost 98 lbs. Then I gained 50 lbs back over the last 5 years. Had a revision to gastric bypass on September 4, 2018. My doctor and I discussed making the limb longer without performing the SIPS procedure. I feel great!! The pain was minimal compared to my 1st surgery. I've lost 7 lbs. since my surgery date. I really wish I would have done this procedure the 1st time.

I had the DS sleeve on January 29, 2018 I've lost 100 pounds as of 9-9-18. But, I have stalled and am eating like a pig. I'm eating too much and afraid that I can't get back to how my surgery helped me. Will I need another surgery? Or do you think I can control myself an eat smaller portions...

Sent from my Z971 using BariatricPal mobile app

I would suggest some therapy with a therapist who has experience in disordered eating. YES, you can get back on track. Sometimes is triggering you to feel out of control around food. Address it NOW before it gets worse. Get back to basics ... you have the tool, now to adjust your mindsest back to where it was when you were on your game. You can do this.

I would look up pouch reset. That's what the 1st surgeon suggested I do when I stalled or started to gain weight. Are you working out? When I worked out I was always starving.
Wow! How did you know? I'm going to PT and now working out in the pool. Now that I am able to get up and do more... Yeah but oh no... Hungry isn't the word. It all the sudden changed to not hungry to eat more than what fits in my palm. How can my new stomach hold the food? Thank you. Your great!!!

I would suggest some therapy with a therapist who has experience in disordered eating. YES, you can get back on track. Sometimes is triggering you to feel out of control around food. Address it NOW before it gets worse. Get back to basics ... you have the tool, now to adjust your mindsest back to where it was when you were on your game. You can do this.
Yes, that is a great idea. Now, how to find a therapist is big question. Do you know where I can start? Thank you!!!